Calling all Polaris Ranger Owners...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all Polaris Ranger Owners...

I need some help on my upcoming purchase. I'm in the market for a Ranger (New or Old) and need some opinions from you guys... Not really wanting to spend over 10k, prefer to find a used one that's been well taken care of...

I'm in SW Texas. I hunt/guide hard Sept through Feb then predator hunt during our down time. I also have an Elk hunt in New Mexico this year I'll be taking this Ranger on so it needs some power to get up the mountains. I also go back home to Arkansas the last two weeks of duck season and will be driving through rice fields everyday.

My dad just got a new 570XP and absolutely loves it. He thinks it has plenty of power, but he's also 75 years old and 20mph is "dangerous fast" lol

It might still be plenty of power, I don't know. I intend to keep it pretty basic and just add the high rack seat to the back. I'm not interested in the Crew models as I usually navigate tight areas.

I've found a 500efi 2012 with 200 hours for $6500, the guy is wanting to upgrade to a Crew. I feel like this is a good deal but want to know if you guys think it's enough power.

Also, what exactly makes the XP better!?

Thoughts/opinions?

Thanks guys,
    Taylor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 500efi crew LE and it goes fast and has plenty of power. $6500 for a single seat with low hours is a fair price IMO.

Comment

I know you said your looking for a Ranger but check into the Mule pro fxt. It will probably be hard to find a used one in that price range though. Just bought one and it is a beast! Much smoother riding than any ranger I have been in its not going to win any speed races but its plenty fast imo.

Comment

Crazy timing.

I just bumped mine up in the classifieds less than a minute ago lol.

Comment

Having hauled a 700 from Texas to Colorado elk hunting. I wouldn't consider a 500. Unless you changing clutch weights before and after hunting in the mountains.

My 700 was an entirely different machine up there than here. It felt like a 500 down here.

That said, I love my ranger. But if I were to replace it I'd shop a few others. Honda and kawasaki have come a long way since 2009

Comment

I just bought the 570XP full size and it has plenty of power.

Comment

I agree w previous post about the Mule pro. I did extensive research, test drove, talked to owners and dealers, etc. Imo, the Kaw Mule pro is the best in overall comparison. Sure there are some things to "not like", but all minor. I have 2 friends w Rangers that said the mule was way better and wished they had test drove one. I know you weren't looking for opinions on diff brands, but i just wanted to let you know that you may want to consider the mule. I have zero regrets, and have gone through and up some stuff i really didn't think i could. I may be too far from you, but you are welcome to look and test drive mine. Good luck.

Comment

Your not near salt water...so you should be good...mine is well taken care off but is rusting like crazy, and glad I bought the warranty as "little stuff" keeps breaking...I've got a buddy that guides for a living and uses mule buggies exclusively, says polaris just won't hold up...I like mine but I agree with him...they are light weights or require extreme babying

Comment

Also incredibly hard to get truly clean...there are more crevices than you can imagine...not sure if others are better...but I HATE that part...if I have to get serious in some mud it takes no less than 3 hours to get it back descent again..no joke

Comment

I have a 2015 570 full size. absolutely love it, as for power 3 adults and all our gear, no problem.

Comment

I've owned two Kawasaki Mules and two Polaris Rangers after the Mules. I went to Polaris because of belt issues with Mules in wet season. I have several deer blinds that require swamp crossings in late Fall and belts were slipping and breaking.

The turning radius was an issue on my first Ranger. Went to power steering on my 900 and it's a big help.

Comment

The 570 is ok in a single seat, underpowered in a crew unless you wanna be in low-range all the time

I went with a 700 XP single seat and I like it.

Comment

I have a 570 full size crew. I have spent countless weekends rolling 6 deep. No issues. Been to rock springs on a rough place a few times. Does fine. You can get a brand new one for around 11500.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys!
                            All my cousins and friends run Rangers over the Mules in Arkansas due to water/belt issues, which is why I'm trying to stick to Ranger as they have most likely dealt with every possible issue/scenario and I'll have help when I run into problems. Plus we have more Polaris mechanics here than mule.
                            I've also heard the clutch problem on the 500s up in the mountain hunts so that makes me want to go bigger too.
                            Found this:
                            800XP for 9k

Is the XP worth the extra $ over the standard 800s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tef View Post
                              I agree w previous post about the Mule pro. I did extensive research, test drove, talked to owners and dealers, etc. Imo, the Kaw Mule pro is the best in overall comparison. Sure there are some things to "not like", but all minor. I have 2 friends w Rangers that said the mule was way better and wished they had test drove one. I know you weren't looking for opinions on diff brands, but i just wanted to let you know that you may want to consider the mule. I have zero regrets, and have gone through and up some stuff i really didn't think i could. I may be too far from you, but you are welcome to look and test drive mine. Good luck.

plus the 3 year warranty and able to add another 3 years for 800 bucks. 6 year warranty!!! Cant beat it.

Comment

Working...
                              X