Killing yaupon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killing yaupon

What do y’all use to spray for yaupon? I’m trying to keep some roads clear and my biggest issue is the yaupon bushes and American beauty berry.

I like #12 shot myself. Na I never spray because I hate getting that poison everywhere. What I do is cut off a fat limb close to the ground the use a little painbrush with gloves on to paint the poison (Roundup) on the freshly lopped limb. The whole thing will die in about a week. It works even better when its dry or you cut 2-4 limbs and pint all the spots. Nothing else really kills the roots.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicket Luke View Post
      I like #12 shot myself. Na I never spray because I hate getting that poison everywhere. What I do is cut off a fat limb close to the ground the use a little painbrush with gloves on to paint the poison (Roundup) on the freshly lopped limb. The whole thing will die in about a week. It works even better when its dry or you cut 2-4 limbs and pint all the spots. Nothing else really kills the roots.
      This is exactly what I do with all woody plants that I want gone. I get concentrated roundup and I might drill a hole down into whatever kinda stump is sticking up outa the ground and pour the RU into the hole making sure it gets all over the cut surface. It always works for me. Now you may have too much yaupon to mess with individual plants, and if that's the case, I don't think I can be of much help there.

Comment

Imazpyr/tryclopyr and hit it late in the year when it is taking nutrients from its leaves to its roots (august-october)

Comment

17% triclopyr aka Remedy, but get the generic by Alligare Triclopyr 4. https://alligare.com/products/triclopyr-4/

I use diesel. You can cut the yaupon down to the ground level, spray over the stump. a 2 gallon mix goes a long, long way. (22 oz triclopyr per gallon of mix, so 22 oz & 106 oz diesel. I just put in 44 oz of triclopyr in a 2 gallon pump sprayer and top off with diesel.)

Comment

Not saying roundup isn't working but unless you buy the brush/woody plants stuff I don't think it will be your best bet. Round up is a broadleef weed killer, not a woody brushkiller. If you put enough on, it'll definitely do a number to it, but i'd recommend getting some remedy. You can do the same thing or spray, and it won't hurt your grass if the drift gets on it. If you have desirable trees close, within a foot or so just becarefull not to drench the soil.

Comment

Spot spray with 40% Remedy and 60% diesel and walk away. Make sure to leave it standing after you think it’s dead to ensure full root kill. Or you can lop it off and spray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Same here. I use systemic brush killer with a cup and rubber gloves. I don't even cut a limb. Just wipe it on the newer leaves.

Concentrate isn't necessary. 10-1 has worked everytime for me. Just apply after a week without rain is my key.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                  Spot spray with 40% Remedy and 60% diesel and walk away. Make sure to leave it standing after you think it’s dead to ensure full root kill. Or you can lop it off and spray

So remedy will kill standing yaupon?

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                    So remedy will kill standing yaupon?

Yes, just make sure it’s left standing after it appears to be dead to ensure root kill. If it’s removed before root kill occurs then it can resprout.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post

Thanks everyone! I think I’ll try this first. The problem with cutting them down is, I then have to drag it out of the road since it’s super thick. I just want to spray it once a year to keep the roads open enough for the buggy.
                      Do you think this will work on other brush like beauty berry?
                      And, if I spray a branch of a tree, will it kill of that branch?

Comment

Also, when is the best time to spray? I figured I’d get it killed off before the summer...

Comment

Originally posted by Marsh Bandit View Post
                          Thanks everyone! I think I’ll try this first. The problem with cutting them down is, I then have to drag it out of the road since it’s super thick. I just want to spray it once a year to keep the roads open enough for the buggy.

Do you think this will work on other brush like beauty berry?

And, if I spray a branch of a tree, will it kill of that branch?

Since it’s a basal application yes it can kill non target trees if you get enough on it. I’ve killed mature sweet gum trees easily by using a hatchet and spraying it with remedy.

Originally posted by Marsh Bandit View Post
                          Also, when is the best time to spray? I figured I’d get it killed off before the summer...

Since it’s a basal spray you can do it any time of the year, especially with yaupon.

Comment

Remedy (triclopyr) will kill all woody brush/ trees.

Comment

Has anyone ever tried painting just diesel by itself on a freshly cut stump without remedy?

Comment

Working...
                              X