Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 01-05-2019, 11:37 PM   #51
Hooverfb
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan View Post
How many illegal immigrants (those without usa birth certificates) are we educating in our schools?
I know one thing that ticks me off is the pre-k situation.
It's only available to esl students and then if there is space available they take poor English speaking kids.
But the roads I houston are crahp and I'd pay $50 more per year to have extremely smooth roads and streets that don't flood.

HISD just built a bunch of brand new schools. That's where property tax money goes.

Oh. And those illegal immigrants come here to build our $120k entry level homes
Without illegal immigration the cheapest brand new home will be $200k
Ideally you'd have more money in your pocket to buy the 200k home if the economy wasn'tsupporting extra illegals though. Not to say gov't wouldn't find a way to keep household cashflow down.
Look at it this way.
Gov't tax income has grown exponentially.
Wages have stayed roughly flat accouning for inflation.
Alot of that money they take is justified on all kinds of welfare and bloated work budgets. Govt work budgets won't change, but you can at least take away one part of that justification equation.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2019, 03:05 AM   #52
100%TtId
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir shovelhands View Post
LOL. The estate tax exemption is now $11 million. I'd wager fewer than 20 people on the green screen will get hit with that.
You sound just like Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez. If only 20 people on TBH have to pay, who cares? Stick it to the wealthy, right?

Why should anyone get hit with a tax when they die? I'd love to have the kind of money where that becomes a problem but where's the justification for the state to collect upon a death?
100%TtId is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2019, 04:04 AM   #53
TXHunter12
Ten Point

Read this article from 2010!
Read the names including McCain, Gramm, etc!
9 years ago and nothing!

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texa...00-babies-3859

It is no surprise why our property taxes are high!

We can thank Rick Perry, GW Bush, and I’m thinking we can add Abbot to the list for doing very little to stop this!
TXHunter12 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2019, 06:44 AM   #54
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

All taxes are out of control it's why we the people need to get control of our representation in DC... We are being had by our congress. We should not have to support people that don't want to work. Welfare should not be how people make a living.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #55
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
All taxes are out of control it's why we the people need to get control of our representation in DC... We are being had by our congress. We should not have to support people that don't want to work. Welfare should not be how people make a living.
What about farmers that we pay not to farm?
And DC only addresses federal income taxes.
What about the localized county taxes?
State sales taxes.
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2019, 03:39 PM   #56
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%TtId View Post
You sound just like Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez. If only 20 people on TBH have to pay, who cares? Stick it to the wealthy, right?
Or maybe I sound like Adam Smith, Thomas Paine, and Thomas Jefferson, who believed large inheritances fly in the face of capitalist meritocracies.

When massive amounts of familial wealth can be transferred from one generation to next without any taxation, then you have an aristocracy in everything but name. It's for the same reasons the founding fathers abolished primogeniture and titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%TtId View Post
Why should anyone get hit with a tax when they die? I'd love to have the kind of money where that becomes a problem but where's the justification for the state to collect upon a death?
The same justification for every other tax we pay: because the constitution allows for it.

But consider that most people with great enough assets to be subject to an estate tax will have lawyers smart enough avoid paying much in taxes by using all manner of loopholes like Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts. Not to mention, the average estate tax rate (again, this is only for estates over $11 million) is 17%. Forgive me for not weeping for the losses of these inheritors.
sir shovelhands is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2019, 05:56 PM   #57
Wits_End
Eight Point

More people move in, more services needed, more properties to tax, more tax money. Simple math. Absolutely no reason to raise tax rates themselves.

I don't like it, but understand property value increases, I fight every chance I get to ensure it is correct and fair.
Wits_End is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2019, 06:11 PM   #58
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
The only way it would go away is with a state income tax, which would be worse!
^^^^^

Totally Agree
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 12:21 AM   #59
LFD2037
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Over yonder

So if we inherit a house from my father in law when he passes (~$300K), I won’t have to pay an inheritance/death tax on it? I was under the impression I’d have to pay a chunk of change.
LFD2037 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 05:15 AM   #60
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
With no property tax we thus need an income tax.
Or would you like a VAT of around 40% on everything you buy?

School teachers and policemen need to be paid somehow, right?
Some how I'm not surprised you're ok with high taxes. Somebody has to pay to pay for the free healthcare Ponzi scheme to garnish votes for the Democratic Party.

Say again why waller co idsd needs a 87 million dollar football stadium? UFB!
Thumper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 06:08 AM   #61
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Some how I'm not surprised you're ok with high taxes. Somebody has to pay to pay for the free healthcare Ponzi scheme to garnish votes for the Democratic Party.

Say again why waller co idsd needs a 87 million dollar football stadium? UFB!
When did I say I'm ok with HIGH taxes? I'm saying I understand the justification of a 3.0% annual property tax with ZERO income tax.
But I would not be ok with a 3.0% property tax AND a 5.0% income tax.

In Houston, over 1.0% goes to schools alone.
There are a lot of kids that need teachers in Houston.
So I think that's ok.
I like to have LEO around so I'm ok with their portion of that 3.0% too.
How much of that 3.0% goes to welfare people?
I'm sure some because HISD provides meals to needy kids outside of school hours
And I'm not a scrooge so if your kid is so poor that they need to eat the crahpy HISD school food during non school hours I'm going to say "May God bless y'alls hearts" and I hope that the food will provide you the sustenance your kid needs.
I don't care if daddy blew his paycheck on lottery tickets and momma spent hers on curling irons.
I'm going to ensure the kids eat first then I'll deal with the parents later.

Besides, how much of my 3.0% went towards providing a packet of instant oatmeal, a half banana and a cup of watered down apple juice to this kid do their stomach won't be growling until noon?

And that football stadium in Waller needs to be supported by outside bonds and should have nothing to do with their property taxes. If it does, wait....How much does it cost to build a stadium these days? 10 million? 20million? Is Wallers current stadium falling apart? Does it have adequate lighting, parking spaces. handicap seating/access? If not then maybe it is time for an upgrade.

I know that border area ISD that put in a Schlitterbahn was wrong for that but hey.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:44 AM   #62
Thumper
Pope & Young

The problem is those who vote for higher taxes do not pay taxes. They are the majority of voters who receive the most benifit from those tax dollars.

And just how are the bonds paid off, tooth fairy?

Last edited by Thumper; 01-07-2019 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:26 AM   #63
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
Somebody has to pay to pay for the free healthcare Ponzi scheme to garnish votes for the Democratic Party.
!
Rose above ignorance and use your brain.
The GOP had control of the house, Senate and POTUS
They could have rubber stamped Obama care out of existence very easily.
Why did that NOT happen?
Is it because the GOP members you voted for are trying to appease the Democratic constituents that did not vote for them?

Again, use your brain.
Put some thought in this.
I know you're smarter than this
I know you are
I believe in you
Try harder

Everything else Obama did is easily being undone but his "free healthcare Ponzi scheme" is being left untouched and in tact
Do you ever ask your elected Republican officials WHHYYYY that is?
Dems didn't vote to keep it.
GOP members were the ones that kept it going

Don't try to turn the tables when the stench came from within.

Whoever smelt it dealt it was the rule growing up.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:36 AM   #64
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
The problem is those who vote for higher taxes do not pay taxes. They are the majority of voters who receive the most benifit from those tax dollars.

And just how are the bonds paid off, tooth fairy?

You think only folks that work actually vote to increase govt budget items?
Who voted for the firefighters in Houston to get a better pension which will cost the city more money and raise taxes? Yup. Only those welfare mommas who don't pay taxes while those good ol folks that work in oil and gas who don't want their taxes to be increased voted against the HFD to get their fair share in pension.

I said it earlier that those liberal software engineers in California that make $150k - $300k per year majority voted for Obama and will vote to increase all types of crazy taxes when they relocate to Texas.

Check the dallas area bills on the 2020 ballet. All that biz dev and relocation from California to Las Colinas and Frisco yah buddy, get ready. Thousands of California liberals are coming.

Apple is moving to Austin. There will be a flood of liberal democrats moving there which will disperse more of those liberals to outlying Austin communities.
Those areas will vote more liberal and become more weird like Austin.
Folks that work in Cupertino tend to not like hunting and I'm sure have a higher than average vegan population.

Look at what they did to Marfa.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:45 AM   #65
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Or maybe I sound like Adam Smith, Thomas Paine, and Thomas Jefferson, who believed large inheritances fly in the face of capitalist meritocracies.

When massive amounts of familial wealth can be transferred from one generation to next without any taxation, then you have an aristocracy in everything but name. It's for the same reasons the founding fathers abolished primogeniture and titles.

The same justification for every other tax we pay: because the constitution allows for it.

But consider that most people with great enough assets to be subject to an estate tax will have lawyers smart enough avoid paying much in taxes by using all manner of loopholes like Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts. Not to mention, the average estate tax rate (again, this is only for estates over $11 million) is 17%. Forgive me for not weeping for the losses of these inheritors.
So you are saying the govt deserves the money more than heirs?
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 08:49 AM   #66
texansfan
Ten Point

http://www.txcip.org/tac/census/scho...php?FIPS=48201

According to the data school tax RATES in Houston and most areas surrounding Houston have DECREASED in the last 5years.

That flies in the face of what most are saying in here.
I'd like to get my hands on the 1985 - 2015 complete data
Old 01-07-2019, 08:51 AM   #67
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
The same founders that allow us bear arms are the same ones that allowed themselves and future governments to take a chunk of your heirs inheritance in the form of a tax.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:52 AM   #68
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wits_End View Post
More people move in, more services needed, more properties to tax, more tax money. Simple math. Absolutely no reason to raise tax rates themselves.

I don't like it, but understand property value increases, I fight every chance I get to ensure it is correct and fair.
Exactly. Never!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFD2037 View Post
So if we inherit a house from my father in law when he passes (~$300K), I wont have to pay an inheritance/death tax on it? I was under the impression Id have to pay a chunk of change.
Go see a lawyer. Estate lawyers don't cost much. Well worth spending $400-$4,000 depending on what you need, to get everything squared away. Then you all have peace of mind.

You may need nothing so the visit may be free. Most give the first 30-60 minutes for free.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #69
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
In Houston, over 1.0% goes to schools alone.
There are a lot of kids that need teachers in Houston.
So I think that's ok.
Uhhhh, maybe Houston isnt the best example for you to keep using.

Have you ever fought your property taxes before?

As lawmakers head into the Texas legislative session this week, tensions have intensified over the future of Houston schools and the threat of a state takeover of the Houston Independent School District due to chronically low-performing schools
batmaninja is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 11:29 AM   #70
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

I'm pretty sure to simplify this entire thread...People want a set tax rate. One that's proven our governments can live within (not trying to short change them). That's the same for everyone.

And that set rate needs to stay the same. Period. The people make more (inflation or not) then they collect more taxes. But the % stays the same.

Of course we all know that will never happen because that would stop them from scamming us with more taxes every year and force them to actually use the tax money wisely.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:24 PM   #71
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

Quote:
What is amazing is how many people there are that never realize exactly what you just typed. They just go along with everything and never question anything.
To me it even goes deeper than that. Because the business that provide goods and services are also taxed to death. For them to stay in business that cost is passed down to the end user or consumer. So we are being taxed twice essentially.

I bet in the end after the gov has put its tax on everything at every level we get just a tiny fraction of what we earn and work hard for. It is out of hand the amount we pay overall and at all the levels.

And i might get bashed for this there should not be any non profit. To me there is no such thing. Church needs to pay their share. Everyone that works for a non profit is doing it for money and not for free. The "nonprofit" is in actuality making profits. They might be doing good things while making that profit. But they are making profit and some people make a killing
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 12:40 PM   #72
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtymike View Post
To me it even goes deeper than that. Because the business that provide goods and services are also taxed to death. For them to stay in business that cost is passed down to the end user or consumer. So we are being taxed twice essentially.

I bet in the end after the gov has put its tax on everything at every level we get just a tiny fraction of what we earn and work hard for. It is out of hand the amount we pay overall and at all the levels.

And i might get bashed for this there should not be any non profit. To me there is no such thing. Church needs to pay their share. Everyone that works for a non profit is doing it for money and not for free. The "nonprofit" is in actuality making profits. They might be doing good things while making that profit. But they are making profit and some people make a killing
Oh I agree completely.....and let's not forget all of those taxes that are now called fees instead.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 03:37 PM   #73
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtymike View Post

Very true. Democrats say they want to raise corporate taxes through the roof. When Walmart gets its taxes raised, do corporations just take less profit or do those taxes just come out of the CEO's paycheck?? NO, they just pass those higher taxes onto the consumer....the same lemmings cheering for higher corporate taxes. It would be nice if folks would just think a little
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 06:53 PM   #74
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Rose above ignorance and use your brain.
The GOP had control of the house, Senate and POTUS
They could have rubber stamped Obama care out of existence very easily.
Why did that NOT happen?
Is it because the GOP members you voted for are trying to appease the Democratic constituents that did not vote for them?....................

.........Don't try to turn the tables when the stench came from within.

Whoever smelt it dealt it was the rule growing up.
You've been caught wearing your partisan hat, so you take it off, and then put your Dunce hat on.....lol

Telling us the GOP and Trump own obamacare only because they couldn't break your party's filibuster is really stupid and outright lying.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:05 PM   #75
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmaninja View Post

As lawmakers head into the Texas legislative session this week, tensions have intensified over the future of Houston schools and the threat of a state takeover of the Houston Independent School District due to chronically low-performing schools
Houston is well on the road to becoming the next Chicago.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #76
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
You've been caught wearing your partisan hat, so you take it off, and then put your Dunce hat on.....lol

Telling us the GOP and Trump own obamacare only because they couldn't break your party's filibuster is really stupid and outright lying.
Tell the truth
The dems could not filibuster
Republicans killed it themselves

https://youtu.be/NLsPfYUp1QM

How could you not remember that?
Besides, Pence had filibuster breaking power and had a few times cast his vote on a bill to get it to Trump's desk

So I think YOU'RE the liar here.
How many versions of Obamacare kills were vetoed by REPUBLICANS in the Senate?
Like four?????

Dems were powerless and shippin bricks because they knew GOP had all the control to eviscerate Obamacare.
But what happened was GOP knew what was in the country's best interest and left it in tact.

There would be no Obamacare if no republicans did not vote to save it.
Own that.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:14 PM   #77
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:

How do you expect me to make the field goal when you keep moving the goal posts.
How do you go from paying for teachers to talking about standardized test scores?
How many folks on TBH have kids with horrible STAAR scores?
I read those posts every year how TBHers kids are scared of the exam and do poorly on it.
Just about as bad as a kid who can't speak English and whose parents are illegals.

HISD is like 60% Mexican and a good chunk of those cant speak English at all or dont speak English at home. But the exam is given in English.
So of course they will have lower scores than majority English speaking ISD.

The worse performing schools always have a high ESL student population.
You take Woodlands High School and give them a Mexican standardized test (in Spanish) and see how well they fare.

Oh and ive fought for my property taxes AND timber exemptions in several counties around the state. Search my name here and you'll see my comments on the process.
I have 40 acres that is being taxed at 3 times the value of my two neighbors that each have over 500 acres (the county is claiming they have bigger acreage but their 500 acres plots are worth less than my 40 acres plot plus they have a timber exemption and I don't but the timber exemption is AFTER their already reduced property values)
We all share a fenceline too.

Its just ridiculous.

Last edited by texansfan; 01-07-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #78
Thumper
Pope & Young

[QUOTE=texansfan;13909528 Tell the truth
The dems could not filibuster.......{SURE THEY CAN, BILL STILL HAS TO CLEAR THE CONFERENCE COMMITTEE}
Republicans killed it themselves.....{TELL THE TRUTH, 3 GOP AND ALL 49 DNC SENATORS........BUT THE GOP OWNS obamacare????}

How could you not remember that?
Besides, Pence had filibuster breaking power ..............{YOU TELL THE TRUTH, PENCE ONLY HAS TIE BREAKING POWERS, HE CAN NOT BREAK A FILIBUSTER}

So I think YOU'RE the liar here.....{OPINIONS VARY...LOL}
How many versions of Obamacare kills were vetoed by REPUBLICANS in the Senate?
Like four?????

Dems were powerless and shippin bricks because they knew GOP had all the control to eviscerate Obamacare...........{NO, GOP DID NOT HAVE NEAR THE REQUIRED 60 VOTES IN THE SENATE}

But what happened was GOP knew what was in the country's best interest and left it in tact...........{WHAT HAPPENED IS ONLY THREE RINO TRAITORS AND 49 DNC SENATORS VOTED NOT TO SEND THE THE BILL TO CONFERENCE COMMITTEE}

There would be no Obamacare if no republicans did not vote to save it.
Own that.[/QUOTE............{AGAIN, NO ONLY THREE GOP NEVER TRUMP'ERS AND ALL 49 DNC SENATORS. HOW CAN YOU CLAIM THE GOP THE SOLE OWNER OF obamacare, YOU'RE FUNNY, AND SO IS YOUR OPINION OF HOW PROPERTY TAXES ARE SPENT, jmo...}

Last edited by Thumper; 01-07-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:32 PM   #79
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Quote:
Until we set Santa Claus up as the head of the IRS, people aren't taxed based upon what they deserve, they're taxed based upon how much they make.

If you're somehow inquiring whether I agree with progressive tax rates (higher taxes as incomes increase) for both estate and income, then the answer is yes.

We've had them for over 100 years, and we had relatively low inequality until they were drastically changed about 30 years ago. Remember how I wrote about massive concentrations of wealth leading to an aristocracy? Well look up some figures on who controls the wealth now, and tell me how you feel about it.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:08 AM   #80
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
Until we set Santa Claus up as the head of the IRS, people aren't taxed based upon what they deserve, they're taxed based upon how much they make.

If you're somehow inquiring whether I agree with progressive tax rates (higher taxes as incomes increase) for both estate and income, then the answer is yes.

We've had them for over 100 years, and we had relatively low inequality until they were drastically changed about 30 years ago. Remember how I wrote about massive concentrations of wealth leading to an aristocracy? Well look up some figures on who controls the wealth now, and tell me how you feel about it.
I'd like to hear more about your thoughts on wealth inequality in the US and its causes. I do understand that fewer folks now control a larger amount of the wealth than in the past. I'm not exactly sure why, except for the rich get richer. But also seems that in our country, the poor get richer too. Haven't researched it but I'd wager that the bottom 20% in our society are much better off than they were 100 years ago. Many have an air conditioned home, plenty to eat, tv, cable, internet, smart phones, etc.. Interesting discussion.
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 10:19 AM   #81
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

My WAG is it could possibly have something to do with things like..certain people don't save a dime, certain people choose to drop out of school, not risk anything, not smart enough to start a business or want the stress of starting a business.

I'd wager that the vast majority of people have an equal chance to make money. Maybe not millions or billions but good money. Just because they choose not to doesn't mean things are unfair OR that those that do should be taxed more.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:47 PM   #82
texansfan
Ten Point

Let's move on
Everybody pay your taxes!
Old 01-08-2019, 02:13 PM   #83
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land
Default I posted this back in 2014

Tax his land,
Tax his bed,
Tax the table,
At which he's fed.

Tax his tractor,
Tax his mule,
Teach him taxes
Are the rule.

Tax his work,
Tax his pay,
He works for
peanuts anyway!

Tax his cow,
Tax his goat,
Tax his pants,
Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,
Tax his shirt,
Tax his work,
Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,
Tax his drink,
Tax him if he
Tries to think.

Tax his cigars,
Tax his beers,
If he cries
Tax his tears.

Tax his car,
Tax his gas,
Find other ways
To tax his azz.

Tax all he has
Then let him know
That you won't be done
Till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers;
Then tax him some more,
Tax him till
He's good and sore.

Then tax his coffin,
Tax his grave,
Tax the sod in
Which he's laid...

Put these words
Upon his tomb,
'Taxes drove me
to my doom...'

When he's gone,
Do not relax,
Its time to apply
The inheritance tax.

Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
CDL license Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Excise Taxes
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel Permit Tax
Gasoline Tax (currently 44.75 cents per gallon)
Gross Receipts Tax
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax
Inventory Tax
IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
Liquor Tax
Luxury Taxes
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Personal Property Tax
Property Tax
Real Estate Tax
Service Charge Tax
Social Security Tax
Road Usage Tax
Recreational Vehicle Tax
Sales Tax
School Tax
State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
Telephone Federal Excise Tax
Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes
Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
Telephone Recurring and Nonrecurring Charges Tax
Telephone State and Local Tax
Telephone Usage Charge Tax
Utility Taxes
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Watercraft Registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?
Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, & our nation was the most prosperous in the world.
We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom was able to stay home to raise the kids.
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #84
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
My WAG is it could possibly have something to do with things like..certain people don't save a dime, certain people choose to drop out of school, not risk anything, not smart enough to start a business or want the stress of starting a business.

I'd wager that the vast majority of people have an equal chance to make money. Maybe not millions or billions but good money. Just because they choose not to doesn't mean things are unfair OR that those that do should be taxed more.

CoolHandLuke is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 04:30 PM   #85
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

Quote:

$1 or $100M the govt is not more entitled to the inheritance than the heirs. What a ridiculous view IMO. Somewhere over the generations that money was earned by the family members. Why in the world should it be subject to taxation a second time?
JLivi1224 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 05:25 PM   #86
texansfan
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
Tax his land,
Tax his bed,
Tax the table,
At which he's fed.

Tax his tractor,
Tax his mule,
Teach him taxes
Are the rule.

Tax his work,
Tax his pay,
He works for
peanuts anyway!

Tax his cow,
Tax his goat,
Tax his pants,
Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,
Tax his shirt,
Tax his work,
Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,
Tax his drink,
Tax him if he
Tries to think.

Tax his cigars,
Tax his beers,
If he cries
Tax his tears.

Tax his car,
Tax his gas,
Find other ways
To tax his azz.

Tax all he has
Then let him know
That you won't be done
Till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers;
Then tax him some more,
Tax him till
He's good and sore.

Then tax his coffin,
Tax his grave,
Tax the sod in
Which he's laid...

Put these words
Upon his tomb,
'Taxes drove me
to my doom...'

When he's gone,
Do not relax,
Its time to apply
The inheritance tax.

Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
CDL license Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Excise Taxes
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel Permit Tax
Gasoline Tax (currently 44.75 cents per gallon)
Gross Receipts Tax
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax
Inventory Tax
IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
Liquor Tax
Luxury Taxes
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Personal Property Tax
Property Tax
Real Estate Tax
Service Charge Tax
Social Security Tax
Road Usage Tax
Recreational Vehicle Tax
Sales Tax
School Tax
State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
Telephone Federal Excise Tax
Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes
Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
Telephone Recurring and Nonrecurring Charges Tax
Telephone State and Local Tax
Telephone Usage Charge Tax
Utility Taxes
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Watercraft Registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?
Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, & our nation was the most prosperous in the world.
We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom was able to stay home to raise the kids.

Don't get me started on all the taxes on airplane tickets and even cellphone bills!!!
30 years ago a basic phone bill was about $8 pet month.
Now we pay $120 per month for the plan and $35 per month just to buy the dag gam phone!

How could I forget about rental cars from airports and what about hotels in general.
Many cities have a "tourist tax" where they just gouge tourists as soon as we land in their city

Last edited by texansfan; 01-08-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:15 PM   #87
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWC View Post
I'd like to hear more about your thoughts on wealth inequality in the US and its causes. I do understand that fewer folks now control a larger amount of the wealth than in the past. I'm not exactly sure why, except for the rich get richer. But also seems that in our country, the poor get richer too. Haven't researched it but I'd wager that the bottom 20% in our society are much better off than they were 100 years ago. Many have an air conditioned home, plenty to eat, tv, cable, internet, smart phones, etc.. Interesting discussion.
Up until the 80s, both the rich, poor, and in between saw their wages rising at relatively similar rates. Though if you consider inflation, averages wages aren't really growing.

Here's a pretty good article regarding stagnant wages.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevede.../#52518a361abc
Old 01-08-2019, 09:51 PM   #88
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Quote:
Offshoring of manufacturing and automation are not leaving many good blue collar jobs. Many decent jobs now require college degrees (which I think is dumb), and less than half (closer to a third) of the population has one. It doesn't help that the education system has declined significantly.

Also, regarding equal opportunity: social mobility in the US is terrible. Since the 80s (again), the likelihood of moving up a class (in reference to earnings) has decreased significantly, and the likelihood of stepping down a class has increased. There's also plenty of studies that have been done on the correlation between wealth and where people end up in life. The results are predictable.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:00 AM   #89
Johnny44
Eight Point

Might as well find the Peace promised by belief in the Lord Jesus Christ because just reading this thread which I would assume are mostly middle to right wingers...We as a country are doomed.
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 01:32 AM   #90
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching

Quote:

Look at what they did to Marfa.
Please tell me that Marfa hasn't gone all liberal. I love that place, and Alpine and Valentine and Ft. Stockton......

Richard
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 08:16 AM   #91
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Offshoring of manufacturing and automation are not leaving many good blue collar jobs. Many decent jobs now require college degrees (which I think is dumb), and less than half (closer to a third) of the population has one. It doesn't help that the education system has declined significantly.

Also, regarding equal opportunity: social mobility in the US is terrible. Since the 80s (again), the likelihood of moving up a class (in reference to earnings) has decreased significantly, and the likelihood of stepping down a class has increased. There's also plenty of studies that have been done on the correlation between wealth and where people end up in life. The results are predictable.
You can blabble all day long. Instead just go outside and look at the facts.
All kids have access to equal education (actually minorities have better access). In today's world it's 100% up to the individual person to chose where they want to be.

You ever consider the "likelihoods" you mention are because certain races keep themselves down? Oh forbid that be talked about!
Old 01-09-2019, 08:43 AM   #92
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
You can blabble all day long. Instead just go outside and look at the facts.

All kids have access to equal education (actually minorities have better access). In today's world it's 100% up to the individual person to chose where they want to be.

You ever consider the "likelihoods" you mention are because certain races keep themselves down? Oh forbid that be talked about!

^^^^^^ Truth right there!

Get off your *** and make something of yourself. There is NO other country in the world where you can be what you want to be other than right here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 10:14 AM   #93
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrat1 View Post
you can blabble all day long. Instead just go outside and look at the facts.
All kids have access to equal education (actually minorities have better access).
Facts? Sure, let's look at some:

https://www.ed.gov/news/press-releas...ds-department-

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...t-less-funding

https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED544709.pdf

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...chools/497333/

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/poor-kid...w-report-finds (this one's from Australia, and shows the same thing).

Do you have anything to support your assertion?

Quote:
in today's world it's 100% up to the individual person to chose where they want to be.
Wishful thinking at its best.

Quote:
you ever consider the "likelihoods" you mention are because certain races keep themselves down? Oh forbid that be talked about!
I wasn't talking about race, I was talking about wealth, but you seem to be under the impression that poverty and inequality only affects "certain races". You might be surprised to find that there are quantitatively more white americans in poverty than hispanic or black americans.

But hey, we'll talk about it. If you've got any articles, papers, or publications that show how "certain races" keep themselves down, I'll happily read them.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #94
batmaninja
Ten Point

Quote:
You might be surprised to find that there are quantitatively more white americans in poverty than hispanic or black americans.
Holy Earth shattering information here, maybe it is because there are quantitatively more white Americans than Hispanic or Black Americans. Why not look at percentages?

If somebody is making $24k/year, in America, not matter what race they are. I would bet there were more than a few self inflicted wounds along the way. Probably why the poverty line is the flattest of the 3.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #95
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Yes, let me pull up that article how blacks keep themselves down

You know dang good and well articles like that get deleted so fast it's stupid due to "being racist".

I'm talking about the real world we live in, not the one you see on TV. When I walk down the street and see a guy that's black he's just a guy...Not a guy getting tased by LEO for no reason. And I don't see people yelling racist slurs at him.

But I do see blacks getting hired over whites with more experience. Hired just because of their race. I do see Spanish speaking kids get free pre-K where poor white families don't get it. And you live in Houston so I know you see these things.

And I see Now hiring signs at nearly every business in town. Don't tell me there's anyone out there without a job that wants one.

In schools, if anything, smart kids are held back because the teachers spend most of their time teaching the lower students.

So show me one thing where "poor" people are held back.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:37 PM   #96
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Quote:
Holy Earth shattering information here, maybe it is because there are quantitatively more white Americans than Hispanic or Black Americans. Why not look at percentages?
We all know the percentages, but I used quantity to emphasize that poverty is not a race specific issue. While it's worse among some races, it's affects all of them. But somehow we're getting bogged down in a discussion about race and opportunity, when my argument was in regards to wealth (regardless of race) and opportunity. Poor rural areas with mostly white populations (coal country is a good example) suffer from the same lack of opportunity as poor urban black / latino populations.

Quote:
If somebody is making $24k/year, in America, not matter what race they are. I would bet there were more than a few self inflicted wounds along the way. Probably why the poverty line is the flattest of the 3.
Obviously there are plenty of cases were people screw up, don't work hard, or just don't care. But my argument is about equality of opportunity.

FYI, that graph isn't adjusted for inflation. Here's one that is, and paints a less rosy picture.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MEHOINUSA672N
Old 01-09-2019, 12:46 PM   #97
batmaninja
Ten Point

Quote:
But my argument is about equality of opportunity.
Alight then.

Quote:
Poor rural areas with mostly white populations (coal country is a good example) suffer from the same lack of opportunity as poor urban black / latino populations.
Would you say there are more opportunities in a urban environment (many many employers needing all sorts of skill levels) or a rural one (where you options are being a plant worker)?
Old 01-09-2019, 01:20 PM   #98
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Quote:
yes, let me pull up that article how blacks keep themselves down

You know dang good and well articles like that get deleted so fast it's stupid due to "being racist".

I'm talking about the real world we live in, not the one you see on tv. When i walk down the street and see a guy that's black he's just a guy...not a guy getting tased by leo for no reason. And i don't see people yelling racist slurs at him.

But i do see blacks getting hired over whites with more experience. Hired just because of their race. I do see spanish speaking kids get free pre-k where poor white families don't get it. And you live in houston so i know you see these things.
I'm talking about wealth and opportunity, and you keep trying to turning this into a discussion on race. I'm really not interested.

Quote:
and i see now hiring signs at nearly every business in town. Don't tell me there's anyone out there without a job that wants one.
Oh there are plenty of jobs, and unemployment is quite low. But you can have a job and be below the poverty line. The issue is not how many jobs there are, it's how well they pay, and how little wages have risen (accounting for inflation) over the past few decades.

Now given the high employment we currently have, we should be seeing wages growing a bunch due to competition, but they're really not moving much. That article I posted earlier tries to explain the issue.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevede.../#790b041e1abc

Quote:
in schools, if anything, smart kids are held back because the teachers spend most of their time teaching the lower students.
In schools without G/T programs, that can certainly be the case.

Quote:
so show me one thing where "poor" people are held back.
The links in my previous post have your answers.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #99
batmaninja
Ten Point

Quote:
Offshoring of manufacturing and automation are not leaving many good blue collar jobs.
You are answering your own question.

Less jobs + growing population = Less opportunities.

From your article-

Holding worker salaries as low as possible is a key to securing short-term quarterly profits, executive bonuses and rising share prices. Seemingly unnoticed by the worlds leading economists, shareholder value is not only the gospel of the global economy. Its also the root cause of stagnant worker salaries.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #100
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Quote:
Would you say there are more opportunities in a urban environment (many many employers needing all sorts of skill levels) or a rural one (where you options are being a plant worker)?
I'd say it would depend on how balanced and adaptable the area's economy is.

To compare two cities, Detroit never recovered from the loss of manufacturing and it is still not a good place to look for work, hell 30% of the population has fled since 2000. The 80s oil crash was devastating to Houston, but the city adapted and diversified its economy over the following decades, so now oil crashes don't take much toll on the city.

But on the whole, a city will typically have an easier time adapting and balancing it's economy, and attracting businesses as opposed to a small town. So my answer to your question would be: more opportunities in urban areas.

Now some manufacturing has been returning to small town USA, so that may change in the next few decades, hopefully.