Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 12-11-2018, 07:44 AM   #1
Bryan11
Four Point

Default DIY Arrow Building or not?

How many of you guys build your own arrows vs having the pro shop do it for you?

I am a DIY guy through and through on most things when it comes to being handy but i have not made my mind up on arrow building.

The fletching jig seems reasonable and decent investment but how do you guys cut your arrows to length without investing in an expensive archery arrow saw.

Wife needs Christmas ideas and i've been debating this one for a bit, either a dozen new arrows from the shop, or equipment to do it myself?
Bryan11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2018, 07:49 AM   #2
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas
Default DIY Arrow Building or not?

I do. Buy blank shafts. Have arrow saw and jigs at home. I like to mess with arrow weights, but it all started because I got tired of having to go to the pro shop to fix cut or loose vanes.

I bought an arrow saw off amazon I think. If I remember correctly, it was around $100.
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #3
Rat
Ten Point

I build all my arrows, and many of my friends arrows.

The best way is to buy everything you need, it will probably cost you about what a couple dozen good custom arrows cost to get the equipment.

Arrow saw ($100 -$200)
Squaring device ($40)
Fletching jig ($50 - $280)
Scale ($30)
Spinner ($30 - $90)

Another way is to go in on the equipment with two or three friends, spread the cost out a little bit.

I love building arrows.
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2018, 08:30 AM   #4
2BigMethod
Six Point

Hunt In: MILLS CO.

I did my own this year and did notice much greater accuaracy with doing so. There are alot of diy videos that can help you.
2BigMethod is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2018, 08:36 AM   #5
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

Without an arrow saw I have carefully cut mine with a Dremel and squared up on a squaring jig. I made one that worked with my disc sander but I also have the Lumenok arrow squaring tool I use now since I sold that sander when I moved (shown below). The arrow saw is really the best way to go though. I still square them using the saw. I actually square both the nock and insert ends. I am a little OCD and just prefer to do it that way haha.

stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2018, 08:37 AM   #6
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

In my compound days I would buy pre-cut shafts and fletch them myself. I didn't buy a saw until 7 years ago when I switched to traditional. Starting with a full length shaft is essential when tuning - a lot of cuts are often necessary before you get it dialed-in. More than anything I just enjoy doing it myself - customizing with different wraps and fletch colors. You don't have to spend a fortune on a saw for home use - the Weston I have works great. You probably wouldnt want to run it all day long in a archery shop but I only cut a few dozen shafts each year - including for friends.

Last edited by jerp; 12-11-2018 at 08:40 AM.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #7
Walker
Ten Point

I set up a high speed die grinder with a cutoff disc in a homemade jig and cut my own shafts.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #8
Bryan11
Four Point

Thanks for all of the info. I guess i need to get my head wrapped around the long term investment of $300-400 and being able to do arrows for me, my wife and my three boys as they start to pick up the bow.

My dad always said "he who dies with the most tools, WINS!!!"
Old 12-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #9
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan11 View Post
How many of you guys build your own arrows vs having the pro shop do it for you?

I am a DIY guy through and through on most things when it comes to being handy but i have not made my mind up on arrow building.

The fletching jig seems reasonable and decent investment but how do you guys cut your arrows to length without investing in an expensive archery arrow saw.

Wife needs Christmas ideas and i've been debating this one for a bit, either a dozen new arrows from the shop, or equipment to do it myself?
I build my own, have been for years. I use a Radial saw with a masonry blade. Some guys I know use a Dremel in a vice.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2018, 11:05 AM   #10
kyleseipp
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano/Mason, KS, IA, MO

IMHO -

It is a blast to do - and allows you to tinker with a variety of items. I was curious about 6 fletch...so I made a 6 fletch. I was curious about 4 fletch....so I made 4 fletch. I was curious about feathers vs. vanes with fixed broadheads, 4 inch vs 2 inch, Spiraled/staggered fletchings, weight forward, added angle on the helical, etc...so I did them.

Plus, if you get the gear to do it, you end up with a cold beverage and buddies over to talk through all the above. I have had the setup (arrow saw, multi-fletch and mono-fletch) for several years and feel like they have paid for themselves time and again.

Comb ebay, bargain caves (if they still exist) and other sites to find a deal.
kyleseipp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2018, 12:44 PM   #11
Outlaw_6
Pope & Young

Hunt In: LA and "The H"

I do build my own arrows and use an Apple arrow saw to cut to length.
Outlaw_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2018, 06:52 AM   #12
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Where are you located?

Possible that someone near you has a saw

Before I bought my own saw Academy would cut a doz for free. Not sure if they still offer that or not
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2018, 07:59 AM   #13
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

I picked up an arrow saw a few years ago and it gets regular use.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2018, 08:14 AM   #14
deerplanter
Ten Point

I just make my own jig and cut my arrows with a air pencil grinder with a cutting blade, pretty simple and it's a tool that I use for other applications. I used to use the EZ-Fletcher to fletch but nowadays I use the Quickfletch with the wrap, much easier and quicker. I tend not to over think things and only hunt with only target shooting to get ready to hunt.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2018, 08:35 AM   #15
Bryan11
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
Where are you located?

Possible that someone near you has a saw

Before I bought my own saw Academy would cut a doz for free. Not sure if they still offer that or not
I live in the Round Rock area on the weekends but stay in the Franklin/Robertson County area during the week for work.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #16
Bryan11
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerplanter View Post
I just make my own jig and cut my arrows with a air pencil grinder with a cutting blade, pretty simple and it's a tool that I use for other applications. I used to use the EZ-Fletcher to fletch but nowadays I use the Quickfletch with the wrap, much easier and quicker. I tend not to over think things and only hunt with only target shooting to get ready to hunt.
I've used the quickfletch shrink wrap style too to fix some arrows in a bind. But like the rest of you, i am wanting to start to play around with some arrow/fletch combinations.

I like practicing 3-4 days per week out of season so i tend to wear out arrows frequently and i've noticed the quickfletch systems just don't hold up as well long term wise.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #17
Rat
Ten Point

Quote:
I live in the Round Rock area on the weekends but stay in the Franklin/Robertson County area during the week for work.
Plenty of us around that area. I'm in Bertram, bring Shiner and we will build arrows!
Old 12-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #18
Bryan11
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleseipp View Post
IMHO -

It is a blast to do - and allows you to tinker with a variety of items. I was curious about 6 fletch...so I made a 6 fletch. I was curious about 4 fletch....so I made 4 fletch. I was curious about feathers vs. vanes with fixed broadheads, 4 inch vs 2 inch, Spiraled/staggered fletchings, weight forward, added angle on the helical, etc...so I did them.

Plus, if you get the gear to do it, you end up with a cold beverage and buddies over to talk through all the above. I have had the setup (arrow saw, multi-fletch and mono-fletch) for several years and feel like they have paid for themselves time and again.

Comb ebay, bargain caves (if they still exist) and other sites to find a deal.
Which fletching rig do you find yourself reaching for more often? I've seen a lot of positive things about the mono Blitz setup.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #19
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

You can build your own saw if you are handy. Here is just one example.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/artic...ry-saw-cutting
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2018, 09:05 AM   #20
tmurray
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb County

I bought all the stuff to do it about 4 years ago, built about 4 dozen arrows and then never touched it again until a few months ago when I pulled the arrow saw off the shelf in the garage and gave it to a buddy. It's just so much easier to buy a couple dozen at a time at the proshop and let them do it lol.
tmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #21
deerplanter
Ten Point

Quote:
I've used the quickfletch shrink wrap style too to fix some arrows in a bind. But like the rest of you, i am wanting to start to play around with some arrow/fletch combinations.

I like practicing 3-4 days per week out of season so i tend to wear out arrows frequently and i've noticed the quickfletch systems just don't hold up as well long term wise.
Yeah when I shot a lot I don't think they would've held up then. I can't shoot that much now due to shoulder pain. I try to limit my shooting to just enough to get by with.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2018, 01:59 PM   #22
Bryan11
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat View Post
Plenty of us around that area. I'm in Bertram, bring Shiner and we will build arrows!
Shiner...now you're speaking my language. Might have to take you up on that one day when i decide to order some blank shafts.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:02 PM   #23
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

I do everything except cut them.
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2018, 07:57 PM   #24
muddyfuzzy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Parts Unknown

Roll your own, itís the best way to learn about the complete system. You will become a better archer and increase your depth of knowledge along the way. Letís face it, most shops sell you shafts out of a 144 arrow box display running a slight offset at best. Get you a good jig running an aggressive helical and watch your groups shrink and and your broadhead groups tighten way up. Start playing with front loading, different fletching and stuff if you feel up to it, nothing ventured nothing gained. Good luck if you chose to do so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2018, 05:57 AM   #25
kyleseipp
Eight Point

Quote:
Which fletching rig do you find yourself reaching for more often? I've seen a lot of positive things about the mono Blitz setup.
I use the mono more than anything. Especially when tinkering.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:17 AM   #26
Bryan11
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleseipp View Post
I use the mono more than anything. Especially when tinkering.
That's what i figured i would be more comfortable with.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:19 AM   #27
Bryan11
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
Roll your own, itís the best way to learn about the complete system. You will become a better archer and increase your depth of knowledge along the way. Letís face it, most shops sell you shafts out of a 144 arrow box display running a slight offset at best. Get you a good jig running an aggressive helical and watch your groups shrink and and your broadhead groups tighten way up. Start playing with front loading, different fletching and stuff if you feel up to it, nothing ventured nothing gained. Good luck if you chose to do so!

Solid advice. I'm needing to switch to 300 from 340 due to increasing poundage on my bow and i figured i might play around with this next set of arrows to try 4-fletch vs 3-fletch.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:43 AM   #28
dbelcher269
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County, Lamar County

I build my own. I was tired of ruining vanes and having to wait on a shop to fix them so I bought a fletching jig. Realized how easy that was and how much cheaper I could get raw shafts so I found a good deal on an arrow saw and bought it. I have several family and friends that shoot so it allows me to help them out to. Now I have a full setup minus a draw board, but that will happen in the next year.
dbelcher269 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #29
2BigMethod
Six Point

Hunt In: MILLS CO.

I went with the goat tuff fletching jig you can do 4 fletch and 3 fletch, 1/2, 1, 2, & 3 degree offsets, can use variety of vane. I bought this one bcuz it wasnt that expensive and just to try my hand at fletching my own arrows. Check out some youtube videos on diy arrow spinners, made one from skate board wheel bearings and scrap angel iron.
2BigMethod is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 11:54 PM   #30
Loneaggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County

Been building my own for almost 30 years. You donít need to spend 100s of dollars to try it. Some glue, ARizona EZ fletch, and just buy cut to length shafts. I put all my inserts regardless of arrow in with Easton HIT epoxy and I fletch everything with gorilla blue top super glue. I personally have been using my Bitzenburger jig for 20+ years. Itís fun. Try it. If you enjoy it you can add more tools, different jigs, scales, etc. itís almost a hobby in and of itself. Same thing with sharpening broadheads.
Loneaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 01:27 AM   #31
CodyWitt
Six Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico

My office is in round rock. I have everything any pro shop has. Anything you need to use you are more than welcome to it.
CodyWitt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 01:31 AM   #32
CodyWitt
Six Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico

Arizona EZ fletch is absolutely fool proof. If you can afford it, get a blitz and forget about it. Best jig on the market. Hands down.
CodyWitt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 01:00 PM   #33
IbeHuntn
Eight Point

Hunt In: Live oak County

I build my own as well. Been playing around with some heavier arrows. Be sure to use a good arrow squaring tool even on the nock end of the arrow. Really helped my broad head flight when I started squaring both ends.

IbeHuntn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 01:28 PM   #34
Stickit232
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyfuzzy View Post

Ditto. What muddyfuzzy said...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Stickit232 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 01:30 PM   #35
Stickit232
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Kansas

Quote:
Solid advice. I'm needing to switch to 300 from 340 due to increasing poundage on my bow and i figured i might play around with this next set of arrows to try 4-fletch vs 3-fletch.
I run the 4 fletch AAE max vanes. Spins any broadhead with great accuracy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Stickit232 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 03:08 PM   #36
Bryan11
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyWitt View Post
Arizona EZ fletch is absolutely fool proof. If you can afford it, get a blitz and forget about it. Best jig on the market. Hands down.
Too many times have i bought my way in on entry level stuff only to turn around and buy what i should have bought the first time.

Buy nice or buy twice!
Old 12-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #37
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Buy blank shafts and build from the ground up here.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2018, 12:16 AM   #38
Bryan11
Four Point

Do the Easton FMJís cut the same as the Easton Axis Carbon arrows with the aluminum jackets?

I currently run the Axis but want to try the FMJís in a 300 spine.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:14 AM   #39
muddyfuzzy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Parts Unknown

Quote:
Do the Easton FMJís cut the same as the Easton Axis Carbon arrows with the aluminum jackets?

I currently run the Axis but want to try the FMJís in a 300 spine.

Yes, they are cut on the same type of saw. Higher the rpms the better.

muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2018, 10:08 AM   #40
Raypo
Pope & Young

I use the same approach as I do with a rifle. I will build a few arrows varying in weight, fletching twist and length, foc... etc. I also enjoy it...
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2018, 05:12 PM   #41
bcj jones
Four Point

I made the “mistake” of using a small pipe cutter on some I currently used. They came out okay but I wouldn’t recommend it!
bcj jones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2019, 10:11 AM   #42
RanchFairy
Four Point

YOU DO NOT NEED A SAW! Unless you want to do extreme tuning. Yes, little changes in arrow length can change arrow tune.

I fletch all my own arrows, even when I buy prefletched, I cut them off to nock tune each individual shaft!
So, save $300 and get them cut to length at the shop or online vendor, then use the Lumenok arrow squaring tool to squre both ends.

Then Insert tune: http://youtu.be/hAULB9uYRUE
Then nock tune:http://youtu.be/88BcMt7PvwY

Way more important to spend money and time on good inserts and tuning.
RanchFairy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2019, 07:50 AM   #43
Bryan11
Four Point

Thinking of purchasing a Bitzenburger jig...how did you guys decide between the right or left helical jig and clamp? I am a lefty and not sure if that plays into the decision.

For whatever reason, my simple minded instinct tells me that i want the arrow to rotate clockwise as it leaves my bow. Not sure why, but that feels right to me.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:34 AM   #44
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Quote:
Thinking of purchasing a Bitzenburger jig...how did you guys decide between the right or left helical jig and clamp? I am a lefty and not sure if that plays into the decision.

For whatever reason, my simple minded instinct tells me that i want the arrow to rotate clockwise as it leaves my bow. Not sure why, but that feels right to me.
I really don't think it makes any difference. When I was shooting a compound with Blazers I used a straight clamp with offset. When I switched to trad and was buying my first bag of feathers I asked the guy at Three Rivers Archery. He said it was personal preference but they sold more left than right. I bought a left helical clamp and left wing feathers.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #45
Rat
Ten Point

Quote:

Most bows will shoot a bareshaft with a counter-clockwise rotation, but not all. You really need to clock the arrow and see which way it wants to rotate and then fletch that direction.

Also, a left helical will give more clearance to the cables if needed.

Having said that, most people will never notice a difference either way (except for the clearance if needed); but since you asked...
Old 01-03-2019, 09:08 AM   #46
kyleseipp
Eight Point

Check the latter half of this vid - good advice to shoot a bare shaft and see (like mentioned above) which way your setup naturally sets the arrow to spin.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:13 PM   #47
BigL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Burnet

Quote:
if you're still looking for a saw let me know. I live in RR off 620 area. Sorry just seeing this thread.
BigL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2019, 07:30 AM   #48
Bryan11
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigL View Post
if you're still looking for a saw let me know. I live in RR off 620 area. Sorry just seeing this thread.
Thanks, i am still in the research phase and deciding how i am going to approach a new arrow setup. I might shoot you a message when it's time to start building.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:33 AM   #49
Bryan11
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigL View Post
Thanks, still in the research phase on how to approach my arrow build, but i might message you when it's time to build.