Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 11-26-2018, 11:52 AM   #151
WinslowBoy
Six Point

Hunt In: Trinity County, TPWD Public Hunts

Well checking the 10 day forecast and looks like a front is moving through on Monday, Dec 3rd. Not as cold as hoped but I guess we'll take it because supposed to be in the high 70s there this weekend. Lows in the low 40s, highs in low 60s for next week. Currently looks like a north to northeast wind every day. Also slight chance of rain on Friday, Dec 7th.
WinslowBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2018, 05:19 PM   #152
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co

60s/40s is a good forecast down there.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2018, 07:17 PM   #153
Schubert6689
Six Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

That’s great weather for bow hunting and tent camping. Can’t wait.
Schubert6689 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2018, 07:29 PM   #154
WinslowBoy
Six Point

Chap just posted the archery hunt compartments in Facebook!!
Old 11-27-2018, 01:28 PM   #155
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country, Carrizo Springs

Heck yeah they look pretty good sized too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasTrophyBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2018, 01:41 PM   #156
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Anyone know if we are allowed to mix attractants into our corn? Like Buck Candy etc.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:14 PM   #157
Spoiled_TN_boy
Six Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTrophyBowhunter View Post
Anyone know if we are allowed to mix attractants into our corn? Like Buck Candy etc.

Don't ask don't tell. Works for the military.
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2018, 03:53 PM   #158
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
Don't ask don't tell. Works for the military.

Hey Iím going to share my secrets for this place who knows when Iíll be able to go back! If I find some nice deer Iíll be sure to pass it on! I called the office and any attractant can be used

Old 11-27-2018, 03:58 PM   #159
88 Bound
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton/Val Verde/Edwards

Quote:
Hey Iím going to share my secrets for this place who knows when Iíll be able to go back! If I find some nice deer Iíll be sure to pass it on! I called the office and any attractant can be used

Corn Coat. You're welcome.
88 Bound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2018, 04:22 PM   #160
Spoiled_TN_boy
Six Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Quote:

I should have been more specific. What I meant to say was just take it and use it. They don't inspect your vehicle and none of their literature states that it cannot be used.
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2018, 04:40 PM   #161
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
I should have been more specific. What I meant to say was just take it and use it. They don't inspect your vehicle and none of their literature states that it cannot be used.

Haha my bad

Old 11-30-2018, 03:44 PM   #162
WinslowBoy
Six Point

Not that it's that big of deal but looks like they slightly modified the hunt compartment map for next week's hunt. I printed out the original one that was posted and I compared it to the one I just received via email from Chap. Looks like they split a couple up and added one. Now looks like 25 compartments as compared to 22 in the original posting on Facebook.

Gonna take a couple more standbys???? Sounds like because of the rains, harvest numbers may be down and wonder if they may try and put a few more bowhunters out there next week.

UPDATE: I rechecked Facebook and they updated the map and stated they will be accepting 5 standby groups, up from 2 in the original post.

Last edited by WinslowBoy; 11-30-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:40 PM   #163
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Yeah not to sure whatís going to happen hopefully things start to cool off a bit to get them deer moving

Old 11-30-2018, 08:04 PM   #164
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBoy View Post
Not that it's that big of deal but looks like they slightly modified the hunt compartment map for next week's hunt. I printed out the original one that was posted and I compared it to the one I just received via email from Chap. Looks like they split a couple up and added one. Now looks like 25 compartments as compared to 22 in the original posting on Facebook.

Gonna take a couple more standbys???? Sounds like because of the rains, harvest numbers may be down and wonder if they may try and put a few more bowhunters out there next week.

UPDATE: I rechecked Facebook and they updated the map and stated they will be accepting 5 standby groups, up from 2 in the original post.

Drats... I will be headed down for the second hunt on standby ... I hope all of yall ...success shooting does. Lets more standbys next hunt...

good luck folks...
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2018, 09:46 PM   #165
WinslowBoy
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
[/B]

Drats... I will be headed down for the second hunt on standby ... I hope all of yall ...success shooting does. Lets more standbys next hunt...

good luck folks...
U may get Lucky on the 2nd hunt as well. I talked with 1 of the biologists there today and they had very low harvest on the mgmt hunt this week. Will probably do similar standby numbers on second hunt unless we clean up next week 😊

Biologist also said they really want to try hard to meet their quota this year because they expect the fawn crop to be big next year with all the rain.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:18 AM   #166
lordvader
Four Point

I really don't know what all the rave is about on chaparral. Hunted from the 27th thru the 29th of this month, November 2018. Got back Thursday, it was my first time there, but it may be my last. That place literally sucked. And it wasn't for lack of deer, but for lack of legal deer to shoot. God only knows what happened to the does, cause they were no where to be seen. The place seems to be overpopulated with bucks. And the 7 points and under, 12 inch spread rule is just ridiculous. The staff tells you anything under 12 inches, even by a measly 1/4 inch could get you in trouble. There advice is if in doubt, don't shoot. Well there doesn't seem to be any legal bucks to shoot on that place. I left early and I don't recall seeing any bucks in the cold storage. I was fortunate to have bagged a doe that walked out in front of my blind. I have more does coming to my 8 acre property than what I saw on that 15000+ acre wma. Do have a trail cam set up, that is how I know. They really need to change the AR rules, so that hunters have a better opportunity at bagging a buck with out worrying about how wide a buck's rack is. Very disappointed in that wma and TPWD in general.

Last edited by lordvader; 12-01-2018 at 01:10 AM.
lordvader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2018, 12:45 AM   #167
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

It's a hard place to hunt. I don't think anyone will argue that. These aren't park deer and they don't react well to pressure.

Add to that it's been a very wet year which makes this place that much harder as if is loaded with quality browse.

Lastly, they try to manage to the carrying capacity of the pasture so it may not have as a many deer per acre as other places do.

You said you left early, you can't leave that place early, the deer aren't going to roll over and kill themselves. It's a tough place but that good deer could walk out at any time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2018, 03:30 AM   #168
lordvader
Four Point

As I said it was not for lack of deer, but for lack of legal deer. I honestly believe that there doe population is quite small, as not many were seen. We were allowed 2 bucks and 1doe or vice / versa. 7 points or under with a 12 inch spread. Saw plenty of bucks, just none you could shoot at. All the 6 pointers I saw in close were less than 12 inches, or they were at a distance and they moved to much. Saw a lot of 8+ point deer, and those were not legal to begin with, which is understandable. This was a GDM hunt. My intention was to take the doe's and not take a chance on any buck, it's not worth the risk to me. And I left early because the probabilities were that there would be no legal bucks to shoot at and doe's were scarce to say the least. I pay a lot of money on application fees every year in the hopes of getting a chance to get drawn to hunt deer and fill my freezer with meat, not put horns on my wall. Then if drawn, take time off work plus other expenses that go with a hunt. I just want what every other hunter wants, a chance to take game legally. But with all the restrictions sometimes all you can do is watch the deer go by. If I wanted to do that I would just go to some wild animal pet farm, or the zoo. I think tpwd should be managing deer numbers in a given region that can sustain that population, not horn size. Anyway that's my opinion.
lordvader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2018, 04:42 AM   #169
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

I spent 4 days there a few years ago, shot a nice 10-point, and saw 6 or 7 nice bucks, including a stud that I watched for about 30 min because I’d already burned my tag on the buck i’d already killed. It was the best hunting experience I’d ever had, but then again, I’ve only hunted in east Texas where you can go a whole season without seeing a big shooter buck.

Last edited by bullets13; 12-01-2018 at 04:49 AM.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2018, 08:10 AM   #170
Slick8
Pope & Young

I agree the management buck they're looking to kill is a low part of the population. I feel like they do that as it's one of the few but yet simple management practices they can use to take a few deer out every year.

Your comment about the fear factor is true. I've seen them and a couple other go overboard and then some basically wash over it.

I was there Tuesday and noticed the biologist who's been there for many years wasn't there. The new guy seemed a little short with people.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:55 AM   #171
125Dad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke Co.

Just can’t make everyone happy.
125Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2018, 11:40 AM   #172
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
As I said it was not for lack of deer, but for lack of legal deer. I honestly believe that there doe population is quite small, as not many were seen. We were allowed 2 bucks and 1doe or vice / versa. 7 points or under with a 12 inch spread. Saw plenty of bucks, just none you could shoot at. All the 6 pointers I saw in close were less than 12 inches, or they were at a distance and they moved to much. Saw a lot of 8+ point deer, and those were not legal to begin with, which is understandable. This was a GDM hunt. My intention was to take the doe's and not take a chance on any buck, it's not worth the risk to me. And I left early because the probabilities were that there would be no legal bucks to shoot at and doe's were scarce to say the least. I pay a lot of money on application fees every year in the hopes of getting a chance to get drawn to hunt deer and fill my freezer with meat, not put horns on my wall. Then if drawn, take time off work plus other expenses that go with a hunt. I just want what every other hunter wants, a chance to take game legally. But with all the restrictions sometimes all you can do is watch the deer go by. If I wanted to do that I would just go to some wild animal pet farm, or the zoo. I think tpwd should be managing deer numbers in a given region that can sustain that population, not horn size. Anyway that's my opinion.

So what youíre saying is you saw lots of deer that are going to be shootable for the general deer bow hunts?

Old 12-01-2018, 02:27 PM   #173
Slick8
Pope & Young

Quote:
So what youíre saying is you saw lots of deer that are going to be shootable for the general deer bow hunts?

That's one way to look at it. I was planning to go try for a standby but didn't want to make the drive for just one spot. Now they've added a few spots but I've made plans to go on a killing spree in Sonora with my dad.

Best of luck fellas, will be a tough hunt but you know the one could walk out at any time.

I was on the management hunt two years ago and saw two deer I would have shot on the bow hunt.

Old 12-01-2018, 02:51 PM   #174
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick8 View Post
That's one way to look at it. I was planning to go try for a standby but didn't want to make the drive for just one spot. Now they've added a few spots but I've made plans to go on a killing spree in Sonora with my dad.

Best of luck fellas, will be a tough hunt but you know the one could walk out at any time.

I was on the management hunt two years ago and saw two deer I would have shot on the bow hunt.

Iím going to stay optimistic I know for sure there is big deer there just getting to hunt there and knowing that a giant might step out is all I need to keep me motivated.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:07 PM   #175
TP3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays, Val Verde co

You left early, why even apply?

If I am taking time off work to hunt I am not leaving early.
TP3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2018, 04:27 PM   #176
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Y’all are all wrong, he is correct this place sucks and everyone need not apply or show up. I have hunted it 4 times and have not shot a deer yet. It really sucks and sucks bad. I don’t even think I will bother this yr going again. It’s a total waste of time.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:45 PM   #177
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
Yíall are all wrong, he is correct this place sucks and everyone need not apply or show up. I have hunted it 4 times and have not shot a deer yet. It really sucks and sucks bad. I donít even think I will bother this yr going again. Itís a total waste of time.

Yeah what he said! Everyone one stay at home!

Old 12-01-2018, 04:59 PM   #178
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Don't go to the chap it terrible put in for other draws
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2018, 07:28 PM   #179
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Anyone else make it to the gun hunt last week?

Old 12-01-2018, 08:02 PM   #180
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

From the people I talked to it was very slow and mostly young bucks seen. Prob gonna be better on the second hunt once they get some cold weather
Old 12-01-2018, 08:10 PM   #181
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
From the people I talked to it was very slow and mostly young bucks seen. Prob gonna be better on the second hunt once they get some cold weather

Youíre going this next week?

Old 12-01-2018, 10:31 PM   #182
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Yes heading south Monday, it’s the hunt we were drawn cor
Old 12-02-2018, 12:52 PM   #183
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Sweet man it looks like it wants to start cooling off a bit as well

Old 12-02-2018, 02:14 PM   #184
LVhunter09
Spike

Iíll be there Monday evening around 5pm.hopefully I can find a covered camp site

LVhunter09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2018, 07:01 PM   #185
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVhunter09 View Post
Iíll be there Monday evening around 5pm.hopefully I can find a covered camp site

Sweet let us know how packed the camp gets!

Old 12-02-2018, 08:03 PM   #186
Slick8
Pope & Young

I'm headed off grid for a killin spree in Sonora.

Good luck to you guys this week and post lots of pics so I can catch up.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:17 PM   #187
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

If you stay in that campground with the covered picnic tables there is a rat at the NE one that will eat up everything under your hood

Good luck on the hunt
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2018, 12:15 PM   #188
WinslowBoy
Six Point

All packed up and ready to head south. Gonna be an extremely slow day at work today and of course, my boss just called a meeting for 3 pm. I'm a frequently reader on here but don't post a whole lot. With that said, I'm gonna try the LiveHunt thing this week if Tapatalk agrees with me and AT&T coverage is decent. Good luck to the other TBHers and hope to run into you down there. Also best of luck to anyone trying for standby.

#Thechapdoesn'tsuck....
Old 12-03-2018, 10:28 PM   #189
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

Anyone make it down yet?

Old 12-04-2018, 12:10 AM   #190
WinslowBoy
Six Point

We just got into town. We r old and enjoy comforts so we are roughing it at the Fairfield Inn in Cotulla this week. Weíll be there early for check in tomorrow.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:17 AM   #191
GBludau
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land

Well guess who decided to come!?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2018, 12:19 AM   #192
LVhunter09
Spike

Iím at the campsite area. Anyone else here I spoke with some really hunters from Columbus. But other then that itís empty

LVhunter09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2018, 12:20 AM   #193
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

I knew you couldn't stand it. See you the 11 th too
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2018, 12:23 AM   #194
GBludau
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
I knew you couldn't stand it. See you the 11 th too
I'm going to all of em!

Old 12-04-2018, 12:31 AM   #195
CityLimitSlayr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Burnet, Cherokee, Fannin, Madisson

I thought I smelled Greg down here...
See y’all at 11
CityLimitSlayr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2018, 12:33 AM   #196
GBludau
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLimitSlayr View Post
I thought I smelled Greg down here...
See yíall at 11
Dang, really? I'm still 3 hours away. Must be the borracho beans from earlier! Dang north wind! Need some spray!

Old 12-04-2018, 11:16 AM   #197
WinslowBoy
Six Point

Happy Place Name:  IMG_0404.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  135.7 KB

Old 12-04-2018, 01:35 PM   #198
GBludau
Eight Point

Did not get standby

Old 12-04-2018, 02:46 PM   #199
TexasTrophyBowhunter
Ten Point

How was orientation!?

Old 12-04-2018, 03:30 PM   #200
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

how many cards were in the bucket for the standby?
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top