Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 12-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #101
rattler03
Six Point

Hunt In: archer, val verde & hays counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoug1076 View Post
Did anyone else notice that the public hunting book says January 20th as the end of bowhunting whitetail? Just curious if thatís incorrect or if they extended the season just for Somerville PHL?
Sunday, January 6th, is the last day of the general season, and January 7th through January 20th is the extended doe/spike season. However, you can only shoot a doe at Somerville PHL during bow season, so the 2-week extended doe/spike season is essentially a spike (at least 1 unbranched antler) only season for the PHL.

I really wish they would allow us to shoot a doe during the general season or at least part of the general season. I think the population out there would allow for an extended doe season.
rattler03 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2018, 12:41 PM   #102
mdoug1076
Four Point

Hunt In: Somerville PHL, Sam Houston National Forest WMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler03 View Post
Sunday, January 6th, is the last day of the general season, and January 7th through January 20th is the extended doe/spike season. However, you can only shoot a doe at Somerville PHL during bow season, so the 2-week extended doe/spike season is essentially a spike (at least 1 unbranched antler) only season for the PHL.

I really wish they would allow us to shoot a doe during the general season or at least part of the general season. I think the population out there would allow for an extended doe season.
Got it. Thank you.
mdoug1076 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #103
GD47
Four Point

Hunt In: Lee

Quote:
The rule says, "commits an offense if that person leaves a hunting blind, stand, tower, or platform in place for more than 72 hours ..." That sounds to me like it can't be in the same tree, or spot, for more than 72 hours whether you visit it and remove the ladder in the 71st hour, or not. But, if the the local game warden interprets it the other way then, I guess, it is their opinion that really matters. I doubt many hunters have the time to drive out there and walk into their stand every 3 days, anyways, unless they live or work within a few minutes of the property.

None of that changes the fact that if I get there first then it is my right to hunt that spot if I want to, regardless of any existing stands that may already be there. Now, most of the time I will move along if it looks like someone else has recently been hunting that stand, but if there's hot sign there and I want to hunt it then I'll do so. Again, walk-in public land hunting spots are first come, first serve.

If you think that by leaving your unoccupied stand out in the woods (legally or illegally) you can dictate where another hunter can and cannot hunt, you are just plain wrong. The first person that is physically there has the right to the spot. I find it odd that you would infer I'm doing something wrong by actually following the rules. The person that is being inconsiderate of other hunters is the one that leaves his stand out there and forces everyone else to try to determine whether or not that guy is going to be hunting it today.

And, I'm curious, what is the "normal public land guy"?
My info comes from Adam himself about the stand being there for 72 hrs and only needing to have a part taken down... and the "normal public land guy" is what you seem to be... it's a respect factor that the newer people have not cared about most of us have hunted same areas for years and respect people area those who dont put the work in and walk around looking for stand to hunt and trust me I know of 3 guys who do that which is lazy and disrespectful since they love leaving there trash and stealing cameras.... if been hunting this place for 10 yrs and the younger crowd is nothing less then disrespectful... I understand public is public but have some respect
GD47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #104
GD47
Four Point

Quote:

Again wrong info.... the season is until Jan 20th your allowed a buck 13in or greater or a spike.... theres no special rule is general season till the 20th
Old 12-09-2018, 06:01 PM   #105
rattler03
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD47 View Post
My info comes from Adam himself about the stand being there for 72 hrs and only needing to have a part taken down... and the "normal public land guy" is what you seem to be... it's a respect factor that the newer people have not cared about most of us have hunted same areas for years and respect people area those who dont put the work in and walk around looking for stand to hunt and trust me I know of 3 guys who do that which is lazy and disrespectful since they love leaving there trash and stealing cameras.... if been hunting this place for 10 yrs and the younger crowd is nothing less then disrespectful... I understand public is public but have some respect
I don't hunt out of someone else's stand, leave trash out, steal cameras, etc. and I think those actions are as wrong as you do, but that's not what we are talking about here. As far as respect, I think it is disrespectful to leave a stand out there and force other hunters to try to determine whether or not that guy is going to come in and hunt it that day or not. Just because I choose to hunt mobile by taking my stand in and out every hunt and you leave your stand out there does not give you the right to the area. It doesn't mean you've put in any more work than I have, either. If anybody is lazy, its the guy that leaves his stand out all season long. Its a lot more work to take your stand in and out every hunt, or every 72 hours, like you are supposed to. And, the vast majority of stands left out are not being visited every 72 hours because most hunters don't have the time to do that. You say that you are doing so and I believe you, I have no reason not to, but most guys aren't able to do that.

The first person to physically get to the area each day has the right to hunt it, and out of respect the second guy there should move along a few hundred yards and disturb the other hunter as little as possible. That's how public land walk-in hunting is supposed to work, plain and simple, to infer otherwise is just wrong.

Someone that has hunted out there 10 years has no more right to a spot than the new kid that is walking into the hunt area for the first time. Its like fishing, if you pull up and I've already got my boat over a fishing spot that you've used for years then you are going to have to wait for me to leave before you fish there too. Its a public lake, just like Somerville is a public hunt area. Its common courtesy that the first guy there gets the spot until he chooses to leave. I don't understand why that's so hard for some people to understand.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:18 PM   #106
rattler03
Six Point

Quote:
Again wrong info.... the season is until Jan 20th your allowed a buck 13in or greater or a spike.... theres no special rule is general season till the 20th
You are right, I was wrong. There is no late doe/spike season for Lee or Burleson counties, only late youth and muzzleloader. Archery equipment isn't supposed to be allowed during muzzleloader season, so I assumed it was doe/spike season. I guess they made an exception for Somerville PHL since its archery only all season long. Glad I was wrong, maybe I'll get a big one out there in January.

I was wrong on that one, but I'm not wrong about the treestands

Hope you have a good rest of your season out there and tag a big one!!!
Old 12-09-2018, 07:43 PM   #107
mdoug1076
Four Point

Quote:
Thank you! My season just got longer! Much appreciated.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #108
scottimus
Nubbin' Buck

Going out there this week for Deer and Ducks! Will report my findings. lol
scottimus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2018, 10:33 AM   #109
scottimus
Nubbin' Buck

Should I go to Nails or the Yeguas first?
Old 12-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #110
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Lee Co
Default Somerville PHL 18-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottimus View Post
Should I go to Nails or the Yeguas first?

Did deer grow gills?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hoggwild; 12-10-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Hoggwild is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2018, 12:53 PM   #111
forest-hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sam

My rule book is from last year but it says you can take two bucks, one greater than 13 one with at least one unbranched antler is that the same this year? Thanks
forest-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #112
rattler03
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest-hunter View Post
My rule book is from last year but it says you can take two bucks, one greater than 13 one with at least one unbranched antler is that the same this year? Thanks
This year's book says the same thing, it reads: "Legal buck must have at least one unbranched antler or have a inside main beam spread of 13 inches or greater. Limit 1 buck with an inside spread of 13 inches or greater."
Old 12-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #113
Hoggwild
Eight Point

So you new guys are aware. The lake is full; its sitting at just under 5.5ft above pool. With the brazos flowing high they cant release the water. So everything is/going to back into the WMAs along the Nails Creek and Yegua creek watershed. PLEASE dont attempt to cross any moving water..theres been multiple water rescues over the years on the WMAs where guys have fell into the swollen creeks and cant get out....

Old 12-10-2018, 02:35 PM   #114
scottimus
Nubbin' Buck

So......what you are saying is that the deer will all gather at the high ground right?...lol

Is there any high ground in the WMAs?
Old 12-10-2018, 02:38 PM   #115
Hoggwild
Eight Point

If you find high ground anywhere in the WMA it wont do you any good. How good are you trailing a blood trail in water?

Old 12-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #116
GD47
Four Point

I was there sat morning took those pics dry ground is limited and had 3 guys sitting within a 60yd◊100 yrd area.... yall have at it lol I can wait a few weeks lol
Old 12-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #117
rattler03
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggwild View Post
So you new guys are aware. The lake is full; its sitting at just under 5.5ft above pool. With the brazos flowing high they cant release the water. So everything is/going to back into the WMAs along the Nails Creek and Yegua creek watershed. PLEASE dont attempt to cross any moving water..theres been multiple water rescues over the years on the WMAs where guys have fell into the swollen creeks and cant get out....
So, that sounds to me like the water will recede more slowly than it did in late October when the WMA flooded. It went down in a matter of days that time, doubt we'll be that lucky this time. Is that what you are expecting?
Old 12-10-2018, 03:00 PM   #118
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Default Somerville PHL 18-19

Im expecting it to be like this for a week..EASILY. the grounds are saturated. And the lake isnt dumping water into brazos... itll be flooded till christmas my guess.. it hurts to even type that.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:29 PM   #119
GD47
Four Point

Quote:
So, that sounds to me like the water will recede more slowly than it did in late October when the WMA flooded. It went down in a matter of days that time, doubt we'll be that lucky this time. Is that what you are expecting?
We may get luck next week anyone who hunts past low water crossing will still be unable to cross... but we will start seeing dryer land by sat
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2018, 04:30 PM   #120
rattler03
Six Point

Quote:
We may get luck next week anyone who hunts past low water crossing will still be unable to cross... but we will start seeing dryer land by sat
That would be great, fingers crossed
Old 12-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #121
rattler03
Six Point

Quote:
Im expecting it to be like this for a week..EASILY. the grounds are saturated. And the lake isnt dumping water into brazos... itll be flooded till christmas my guess.. it hurts to even type that.
Got it, thanks
Old 12-11-2018, 01:25 AM   #122
97JeepGuy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Livingston, Tx

Quote:

Keep my timber hole flooded
97JeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2018, 10:30 PM   #123
97JeepGuy
Eight Point

Anybody planning on braving the wind and heading out tomorrow?
Old 12-13-2018, 10:41 PM   #124
grantder
Nubbin' Buck

Has anyone lost a trail cam or had one stolen recently found one laying in a field with no batteries or sd card in it. In nails creek
grantder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2018, 10:42 PM   #125
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantder View Post
Has anyone lost a trail cam or had one stolen recently found one laying in a field with no batteries or sd card in it. In nails creek

Tasco? We had one walk away bout a month ago...

Old 12-13-2018, 10:43 PM   #126
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97JeepGuy View Post
Anybody planning on braving the wind and heading out tomorrow?

Youd have to be half retarded to go maŮana lol

Old 12-13-2018, 11:21 PM   #127
grantder
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Tasco? We had one walk away bout a month ago...

sorry not a tasco
grantder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #128
GD47
Four Point

Quote:

Um sir dont let the flood fool ya yesterday afternoon stud!
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #129
AdventureBoy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Granger, Somerville, Luminant

Quote:
Less then a month left it will take a week for my area to become huntable lol it's over hahahah
Guess your season is over now...lol Nice buck!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
AdventureBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #130
GD47
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureBoy View Post
Guess your season is over now...lol Nice buck!

Spike and many many many pigs left in my season! Nails is dropping pretty quick
Old 12-14-2018, 09:54 AM   #131
AdventureBoy
Eight Point

Quote:
Spike and many many many pigs left in my season! Nails is dropping pretty quick
Good to hear, not my area, but still.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #132
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Across Box 2 right? I seen him a couple times. Im still on across from box 2 chasin this guy. Hes been running back behind that duck pond.. bottom of the hill below the house

Old 12-14-2018, 11:40 AM   #133
GD47
Four Point

Yes sir that same place I showed ya last season yegua became a headache got away from all bow hunters yall can have it lol had this guy come in right at 330 after I hit the antlers
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #134
97JeepGuy
Eight Point

Quote:

If shooting a limit by 8 is half retarded then I guess I am
Old 12-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #135
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Pics or didnt happen.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #136
DeanvilleHunter
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Burleson county

Nice buck!
DeanvilleHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #137
DeanvilleHunter
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Burleson county

Thanks everyone for tips and advice!
DeanvilleHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #138
97JeepGuy
Eight Point

Quote:
Pics or didnt happen.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #139
scottimus
Nubbin' Buck

nice woodys!
Old 12-14-2018, 03:45 PM   #140
Hoggwild
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97JeepGuy View Post

Very nice!

Hoping to end migration for some on Sunday. Need to go see how high the river has flooded out into the property.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:48 PM   #141
97JeepGuy
Eight Point

If anybody has been up to flag pond recently pm me
Old 12-19-2018, 08:15 PM   #142
mdoug1076
Four Point

Anyone ever have luck killing pigs in April and May when you can use bait? Lots of pig sign out there but I havenít seen them during the day.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #143
GD47
Four Point

Quote:
Anyone ever have luck killing pigs in April and May when you can use bait? Lots of pig sign out there but I havenít seen them during the day.
I'm at 9 pigs on 8 hunts this season lol and yes we have had plenty of success feeding iv found a pig honey hole at box 5 thinking come them days if still alot making a self blind and we can all sling a arrow
Old 12-20-2018, 04:58 PM   #144
mdoug1076
Four Point

Quote:
I'm at 9 pigs on 8 hunts this season lol and yes we have had plenty of success feeding iv found a pig honey hole at box 5 thinking come them days if still alot making a self blind and we can all sling a arrow
Dang thatís a lot of pigs! Thatís awesome.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:37 PM   #145
GD47
Four Point

Quote:
Dang thatís a lot of pigs! Thatís awesome.
That's been my season so far beside the buck.... seem like every one I hit 100 more find me

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2018, 12:40 AM   #146
AdventureBoy
Eight Point

Quote:
That's been my season so far beside the buck.... seem like every one I hit 100 more find me

I need to be hunting with you, lol.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:49 PM   #147
GD47
Four Point

Another ville stud was taken today

Old 12-22-2018, 03:53 PM   #148
Fthoodtanker
Four Point

Hunt In: anywhere i can find

Quote:
Another ville stud was taken today

Thats a good buck

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Fthoodtanker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #149
GD47
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fthoodtanker View Post
Thats a good buck

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
That he was I got the ol skunk this morning but was asked to help recover this guy since I had a game cart it's not always about your hunt but helping those who ask

Old 12-22-2018, 06:53 PM   #150
RockTippedStick
Eight Point

Hunt In: Liberty, Tyler, Polk

Good day at the lake Name:  IMG_20181222_112100360_HDR.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  142.8 KB

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
RockTippedStick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top