Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-12-2019, 07:39 AM   #1
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County
Default Red Light Camera Ticket...

I got a ticket in North Richland Hills on Christmas Day following my inlaws to my BILís house. They also got a ticket. Rufe Snow Dr. and 820 frontage road. I was able to see the video online and three cars in a row got ďflashedĒ as we stopped and turned right on red....

Can you even turn right on red without tripping these dang cameras? How can they not be ďsmartĒ enough to differentiate between a blatant straight-away red light runner and someone legally turning right on red?

I live in Tomball, so I have no plans to go back up to fight this ticket... Iím surprised some cities still havenít voted out these cameras. Tomball included.
30-30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 08:35 AM   #2
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Easy. Dont pay it. Worse case scenario you cant get registration online and have to drive to courthouse.

Theyll eventually stop sending letters from Illinois or some crap.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #3
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

I have never paid one and I have had a few.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #4
camoclad
Six Point

Hunt In: central tx

i think the state supreme court outlawed those things... dont know why they still exist.
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 08:49 AM   #5
TxAg
Pope & Young

Don't pay it. It doesn't do anything.
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 08:51 AM   #6
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Send them a bag of dog doo
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #7
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

Find out how much the fine is, get the cash, lay it out on the table, take a pic of it and send that in!!!
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 09:02 AM   #8
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

I wouldn't pay it.
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 09:08 AM   #9
67olds442
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

Donít pay it. Nothing will happen to you. Itís a scam
67olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 09:08 AM   #10
Cajun shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oakwood

You need to understand, this is not a gov law enforcement entity sending you this notice. It is a company who has a contract with that city to run these cameras.

I got one very similar to this in LA Cali. I wrote on the the notice they sent me and mailed it back, ď This is extortion! You have no legal right to demand anything from me and I did not brake the law. Your system is too inadequate to determine this. If you contact me again I will hire an attorney and sue you for harassment.Ē

I never heard from them again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cajun shooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #11
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Send them a bag of dog doo
This!
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 09:14 AM   #12
Smokeater
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Easy. Dont pay it. Worse case scenario you cant get registration online and have to drive to courthouse.

Theyll eventually stop sending letters from Illinois or some crap.

Got one a few years ago in Fort Worth. Went to register my vehicle and found out Bosque County is in the game and said they wouldn't register my car until I paid it. Is there an actual way around it?
Smokeater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 09:16 AM   #13
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

I had a guy Pm a couple days ago and that saw my red Light ticket thread from awhile saying he knows someone who handles this or something along those lines. I’ll see if I can find it
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #14
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeater View Post
Got one a few years ago in Fort Worth. Went to register my vehicle and found out Bosque County is in the game and said they wouldn't register my car until I paid it. Is there an actual way around it?
In person or online?

Ive had 3 in 3 different trucks. All right on a red and brake lights are clearly visible in the video. The last one was in wifes truck and she wasn't able to renew online. I went to the courthouse and was in and out in less than 10. No questions asked.

Heres the deal. In order for them to be legit the city must pay a traffic survey company to inspect the intersection. The co then has to write a plan saying a communist camera will help. The city files that with the state and once approved, the city pays an out of state company to install the camera. Only after the survey is filed and completed is the camera "legal"

The issuing agency gets little money. They are also supposed to have an LE officer review each video before a citation is issued.

Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #15
TKC
Eight Point

Hunt In: Parker County

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqiggy View Post
Find out how much the fine is, get the cash, lay it out on the table, take a pic of it and send that in!!!
This is greatness!
TKC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 12:02 PM   #16
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma / San Saba Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30 View Post
I got a ticket in North Richland Hills on Christmas Day following my inlaws to my BIL’s house. They also got a ticket. Rufe Snow Dr. and 820 frontage road. I was able to see the video online and three cars in a row got “flashed” as we stopped and turned right on red....

Can you even turn right on red without tripping these dang cameras? How can they not be “smart” enough to differentiate between a blatant straight-away red light runner and someone legally turning right on red?

I live in Tomball, so I have no plans to go back up to fight this ticket... I’m surprised some cities still haven’t voted out these cameras. Tomball included.
Not worth your time to fight it. Paying or not paying it depends on your county tax assessor. Some counties will not allow you to renew your registration (on-line, mail or in person) until you pay the ticket. The former and current Tarrant county assessor do not require you to pay it if you renew in person or by mail. You cannot, however renew online. Also if you don't pay you will see the term "scofflaw" on your renewal notice. I asked the clerk how long that stays on there but she didn't know.....and yes, I'm labeled a scofflaw in the state of Texas.
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 12:05 PM   #17
MadHatter
Ten Point

Man, I know that light well!!! I've had 5 or 6 over the yrs there, East side by the Chipotle. Never paid a one of em.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #18
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I wouldn't pay it.
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 02:34 PM   #19
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

I read somewhere years ago that RL cameras were illegal in Tx.' unless they were installed before the date that they were made illegal, and then they couldn't be used after the contract date was up.

anyone know anything about this??
stickerpatch59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #20
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
I read somewhere years ago that RL cameras were illegal in Tx.' unless they were installed before the date that they were made illegal, and then they couldn't be used after the contract date was up.

anyone know anything about this??
I donít feel like spending an hour on google so here goes from memory, probably 12 or more years ago.

Cities started doing this as a revenue enhancement under the guise of safety. If I remember correctly there really not much state regulations for or against. Cities were just doing it under civil law by contracting with private companies and taking part of the fees while the company also makes a per citation profit.

After many complaints the state stepped in and said the current contracts were allowed to stand since there was no law against it at the time but all future contracts were illegal... UNLESS... the State of Texas was given a cut. In effect the state said this is absolutely illegal unless you include us in your profits.

Have they changed the law since then? I donít know but the cameras were in fact made illegal... unless the city sent the state part of the profit.
tvc184 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #21
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside

My daughter got one the same day at the same intersection OP. According to Channel 11 story on October 28,2018 NRH didn’t conduct a study with an outside engineering firm prior to or after installing cameras and this makes the Violation unenforceable. I’m going to “court” in feb to contest it. I’m not paying it even if I “lose”.
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 03:13 PM   #22
kparker158
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public and Private Lands of East Texas

If I sent you a letter demanding $75 with a dash cam video from my personal car would you pay it?
kparker158 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #23
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

According to a guy or two on a different thread you should just pay it and move on. Teach your kids logic and common sense. Pay the extortion if it's cheaper than fighting it...

LOL
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 03:59 PM   #24
sharpstick35
Eight Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

they are legal in texas but the state set a cap at $75 and late fee at $25. the cities are shortening the yellow lights to catch extra people and allowing citations to go out to right turn offenders also.

Sec. 707.003. INSTALLATION AND OPERATION OF PHOTOGRAPHIC TRAFFIC SIGNAL ENFORCEMENT SYSTEM. (a) A local authority that implements a photographic traffic signal enforcement system under this chapter may:
(1) contract for the administration and enforcement of the system; and
(2) install and operate the system or contract for the installation or operation of the system.
(b) A local authority that contracts for the administration and enforcement of a photographic traffic signal enforcement system may not agree to pay the contractor a specified percentage of, or dollar amount from, each civil penalty collected.
(c) Before installing a photographic traffic signal enforcement system at an intersection approach, the local authority shall conduct a traffic engineering study of the approach to determine whether, in addition to or as an alternative to the system, a design change to the approach or a change in the signalization of the intersection is likely to reduce the number of red light violations at the intersection.
(d) An intersection approach must be selected for the installation of a photographic traffic signal enforcement system based on traffic volume, the history of accidents at the approach, the number or frequency of red light violations at the intersection, and similar traffic engineering and safety criteria, without regard to the ethnic or socioeconomic characteristics of the area in which the approach is located.
(e) A local authority shall report results of the traffic engineering study required by Subsection (c) to a citizen advisory committee consisting of one person appointed by each member of the governing body of the local authority. The committee shall advise the local authority on the installation and operation of a photographic traffic signal enforcement system established under this chapter.
(f) A local authority may not impose a civil penalty under this chapter on the owner of a motor vehicle if the local authority violates Subsection (b) or (c).
(g) The local authority shall install signs along each roadway that leads to an intersection at which a photographic traffic signal enforcement system is in active use. The signs must be at least 100 feet from the intersection or located according to standards established in the manual adopted by the Texas Transportation Commission under Section 544.001, be easily readable to any operator approaching the intersection, and clearly indicate the presence of a photographic monitoring system that records violations that may result in the issuance of a notice of violation and the imposition of a monetary penalty.
(h) A local authority or the person with which the local authority contracts for the administration and enforcement of a photographic traffic signal enforcement system may not provide information about a civil penalty imposed under this chapter to a credit bureau, as defined by Section 392.001, Finance Code.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #25
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

So, can they actually prevent registration of your vehicle (in another county) if you NEVER pay their fine?
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #26
clayree
Six Point

It is a civil violation, not a criminal one. Therefore it will not go on your record.

Don't pay it.........................................
clayree is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #27
CaptainDave
Ten Point

That's the one thing voters in Harris County actually got right. Voted those red light cameras out. Mayer porker and the Houston city council tried to block it after the vote, but eventually gave up. Crazy thing is, the City council was mad because they had just signed a multi-year agreement with the camera monitoring company and were going to have to pay a hefty cancellation fee.

Safety issue, nope, just BS. Nothing but a money grab disguised as a safety measure. There's even been numerous studies that have shown red light cameras don't really cut down on accidents.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 05:09 PM   #28
KyleW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gordon TX

I thought they were outlawed due to faulty pictures like this??
KyleW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 05:44 PM   #29
Witchgrass
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera County

Quote:
Lol
Witchgrass is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 07:18 PM   #30
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
I got a ticket in North Richland Hills on Christmas Day following my inlaws to my BILís house. They also got a ticket. Rufe Snow Dr. and 820 frontage road. I was able to see the video online and three cars in a row got ďflashedĒ as we stopped and turned right on red....

Can you even turn right on red without tripping these dang cameras? How can they not be ďsmartĒ enough to differentiate between a blatant straight-away red light runner and someone legally turning right on red?

I live in Tomball, so I have no plans to go back up to fight this ticket... Iím surprised some cities still havenít voted out these cameras. Tomball included.

I went through that same light on the same day. And didn't get a ticket (no joke).

Was that you in front of me?
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 08:04 PM   #31
bakin7005
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradtiger View Post
So, can they actually prevent registration of your vehicle (in another county) if you NEVER pay their fine?
Yes.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #32
Easttxbowman
Eight Point

I got one a while back and the city flagged my vehicle and put a hold on my account until I paid..... couldn’t register my vehicle until I paid...

Ridiculous
Easttxbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 08:42 PM   #33
TreyRo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney

I’ve probably had 4 of them, paid the first one because it wasn’t worth my time to fight it even though my stop was legal they just made the mistake. Learned my lesson and I’ve never had any registration issues.
TreyRo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2019, 08:44 PM   #34
LukeDuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas, Louisiana

Quote:
I like your style!
LukeDuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 06:19 AM   #35
bakin7005
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyRo View Post
Iíve probably had 4 of them, paid the first one because it wasnít worth my time to fight it even though my stop was legal they just made the mistake. Learned my lesson and Iíve never had any registration issues.
Depends on the county assessor.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2019, 06:57 AM   #36
EarleyBird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home

I got 5 or 6 in Houston. Never paid any of them.
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 07:01 AM   #37
Bullydog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson / Throckmorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
I went through that same light on the same day. And didn't get a ticket (no joke).

Was that you in front of me?
Probably, because you came to a full and complete stop before making your right turn on red.
Bullydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 07:04 AM   #38
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
....I live in Tomball, so I have no plans to go back up to fight this ticket... Iím surprised some cities still havenít voted out these cameras. Tomball included.
Tomball has one operating FM2920 --old FM149, and yes they have shortened the caution light. Vote the mayor out of office and elect one that will remove the darn thing.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 07:47 AM   #39
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullydog View Post
Probably, because you came to a full and complete stop before making your right turn on red.
Yes sir! I even get onto my 82 yoa mother about rolling stops. I try to wait at least 3 seconds after I come to a full and complete stop too!

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 08:00 AM   #40
sharpstick35
Eight Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

if the city hasn't done the traffic engineering study on each intersection a ticket wont hold up in court. last I checked only 3 cities in Texas have documented the studies.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 08:11 AM   #41
ptlmg
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dolores, Colorado and New Braunfels, Texas

I got one from Corpus christi for turning right on a red light. I paid the 50 bucks just to be done with it.
ptlmg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 08:27 AM   #42
kmitchl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co

There is a red light camera at 1488 and 1774 in Magnolia. Got me once making a right turn on red without coming to a complete stop. So I choose to spend money in Conroe instead of Magnolia.
kmitchl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2019, 12:47 PM   #43
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmitchl View Post
There is a red light camera at 1488 and 1774 in Magnolia. Got me once making a right turn on red without coming to a complete stop. So I choose to spend money in Conroe instead of Magnolia.
You save a lot of money too, prices here in Magnolia are a good bit higher on just about every thing. Smart move shopping somewhere else.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top