Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 11-16-2018, 08:40 PM   #251
CharlieWhiskey
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Lindale, Hamilton County, Public Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Log View Post
Iím in the black F150 thatís at the Plum Creek ramp. FYI, there were 2-3 guys that set up a tent on the north mouth of Evanís via boat. Two boats, one is a center console.

The horse people were wearing orange and carrying rifles. The last 3-4 years theyíve set up a wall tent at the mouth of the canyon south of Evanís and screwed everything up. This year they havenít, but they still rode all the canyons the day before muley season. Itís a real let down to get up early, bust your *** to get far back in, and then have people blow everything out of the canyons before they can even be glassed or hunted. Rumor is that they set up camp down at Mullins/McBride for the week before muley season, blow that out, then move north, and based on what Iíve seen, Iím inclined to believe it.

Trash. Straight trash. Maybe Iíll just hunt their fenceline then.
CharlieWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2018, 03:08 PM   #252
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

They were there opening weekend of muledeer seas a few years ago. 2 on bottom on each side and one up top on each side so 6 total. They drive deer back to the back of the canyons towards private land. They were hunting had on orange and had a few deer hanging up in the trees when we got to the back. They ruined the hunting for 2 days. I was ****** also. My buddy made a 5 hour drive one way for a busted hunt for 3 days.
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2018, 04:09 PM   #253
Log
Spike

How about we lodge a complaint with the NPS? Might not amount to anything, but at least gets it on the record.
Log is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2018, 09:48 PM   #254
tdwinklr
Eight Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShockley View Post
It's looking like I might not get to make it up there for mule deer this season. I was fortunate enough to take a nice public land buck here on the grasslands yesterday. The money I had set aside for a pack and new cold weather gear for backpack hunting is now going to be used for a nice shoulder mount. He is my first buck so I can't really pass up the opportunity to get him mounted. Good luck out there and stay safe this season. I will be planning to get out there for archery season next year to hopefully not have to deal with as much of a crowd.
congrats on the public land buck and your first!
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2018, 10:02 PM   #255
CharlieWhiskey
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Log View Post
How about we lodge a complaint with the NPS? Might not amount to anything, but at least gets it on the record.
Ran into a couple guys from Grand Prairie today who said they saw them Thursday or Friday (I donít remember) in Martins, but that they didnít ride the whole canyon. Just a few of them on horses moving kind of slow.

If I see them Iíll try to get video thru binos and I will FOR SURE call the office in Fritch. If theyíre in orange thereís probably nothing to be done but maybe theyíll eventually pass regulations outlawing hunting from horseback or just say no to horses completely.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:13 PM   #256
RShockley
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieWhiskey View Post
Ran into a couple guys from Grand Prairie today who said they saw them Thursday or Friday (I donít remember) in Martins, but that they didnít ride the whole canyon. Just a few of them on horses moving kind of slow.

If I see them Iíll try to get video thru binos and I will FOR SURE call the office in Fritch. If theyíre in orange thereís probably nothing to be done but maybe theyíll eventually pass regulations outlawing hunting from horseback or just say no to horses completely.
I don't think you will get an outright ban to horses. It is pretty unfair and disrespectful to others using the land of they are driving deer by horseback as a hunting method. You might get a ruling that horses need to stick to the trails but that also creates a slippery slope. If they ban horses from going off trails what really keeps the horseback riders from requesting the same thing of us. It is the NPS so they already don't allow off trail hiking on most of their parks. It is just another frustration of public land hunting as it is open to everyone. Unfortunately that even includes the ones that are disrespectful towards other attempts to use the land as well. It would be great if they were only allowed to be used as a form of transport to and from the hunting area.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2018, 09:10 AM   #257
chastings77
Four Point

Hunt In: Lake Meredith, Crossbar

2 hunters on horseback destroyed my hunt in devils canyon opening last year. Afraid there probably isn't a lot we can do. I will also complain to the NPS as Log has suggested.

In my opinion hunting on horseback on public land the way that they are doing takes away the fair chase. I saw guys using mountain bikes yesterday, they used them to get from point A to B, not to run deer. It could be as simple as no hunting from a horse.
chastings77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #258
chastings77
Four Point

For what it is worth....NPS response to my complaint about the horses:

Here is the link to contact them:
https://www.nps.gov/lamr/contacts.htm

Last edited by chastings77; 11-19-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:26 AM   #259
RShockley
Eight Point

Maybe something will come of it. I would be completely happy with the no hunting from horseback idea even if it is exclusively deer hunting from horse back as the idea of driving deer with a horse is the main issue. I wonder if him knowing the owners is a good thing or a bad thing. Although I think it would be hard for him not to know them as it is a giant cattle ranch.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:07 AM   #260
TWarren
Four Point

Hunt In: Panhandle and New Mexico

Quote:
Maybe something will come of it. I would be completely happy with the no hunting from horseback idea even if it is exclusively deer hunting from horse back as the idea of driving deer with a horse is the main issue. I wonder if him knowing the owners is a good thing or a bad thing. Although I think it would be hard for him not to know them as it is a giant cattle ranch.
Which ranch is it - Crawford?
TWarren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2018, 08:48 AM   #261
CharlieWhiskey
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Kind of what I was thinking. If itís been a problem for years, and heís worked here for years, and knows the owners, then itís reasonable to say that heís not even going to talk to them. Iím sure if they have a good relationship he gets to access backcountry through their land, and since the horseback thing is technically legal, heíll say nothing. Not hating on the manís character, but we are outsiders here temporarily and donít really do anything for the area, and they are the locals.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:50 AM   #262
CharlieWhiskey
Nubbin' Buck

In other news, I’m packing up and heading out. I’ve exhausted myself. I’ve seen a ton of does and more deer tracks than any other piece of country I’ve ever hunted, but haven’t laid eyes on a single buck. I have a lot to learn about Mule Deer...
Old 11-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #263
RShockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWarren View Post
Which ranch is it - Crawford?
It is the Scharbauer Ranch. They own the Midland Meat Company.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #264
Grizz83
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coryell Co, Collingsworth Co, Colorado, Kansas

I have some friends there right now hunting the Devils area. They haven't seen any horses so far, but they have seen their tracks all over the place.

Last edited by Grizz83; 11-20-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Grizz83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2018, 12:20 PM   #265
RShockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz83 View Post
I have some friends there right now hunting the Devils area. They haven't seen any horses so far, but they have seen their tracks all over the place.
They will see plenty of horse tracks in the devils canyon area due to the trails coming from the Plum Creek equestrian area. Seems to be the most heavily traveled area for the horse riders.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:33 PM   #266
agwrestler
Eight Point

Hunt In: LBJ, Grapevine and Lake Meredith Nat. Rec.

I'm all for restricting horses/mules to a specific area just like motorcycle/atv during season.

Last edited by agwrestler; 11-20-2018 at 01:36 PM.
agwrestler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #267
Log
Spike

My email to LM:

"For the last 4-5 years, there has been a group of ~6 hunters on horses negatively impacting the hunting experience at Lake Meredith. Last year (2017) and the two years before (2015-2016), they set up a wall tent in the canyon south of Evan's Canyon right before mule deer season opened, and rode their horses through all of the canyons attempting to push deer and get a shot, with little respect to any other hunters that were attempting to hunt the same area or spot deer. This year they did not set up the wall tent, but last Friday morning, I was hunting north of Plum Creek, and a group of 6 riders pushed every canyon from Plum Creek north to Evan's. I was on the canyon south of Evan's when I spotted them to my south, and moved to Evan's in an attempt to avoid them. Shortly, they showed up at Evan's and pushed the entire canyon before I was even able to begin hunting it.

I have talked to other hunters that hunt down around McBride and Mullinaw, who have witnessed the same behavior. I understand that this is a public area, but in my opinion, the public access is being abused by those that are hunting off of horses. Even though the NRA is 44,000 acres in size, there is only a portion of that area that is huntable for deer. Horseback riders riding through these areas and blowing the deer out ruins the hunting for everyone.

I encourage you to consider putting restrictions on the use of horses for hunting during the deer hunting season. Their actions are negatively impacting both the experience and success of those of us that do not have access to or want to use horses."
Old 11-20-2018, 03:42 PM   #268
RShockley
Eight Point

Where did you send that Log. I will write up something similar and get it sent. The more they hear it the better chance we have to make a change. They really are ruining the experience for everyone including others who hunt from horses.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:51 PM   #269
Log
Spike

The link chastings77 posted earlier.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #270
scott.sewall
Nubbin' Buck

Any whitetail on Meredith?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scott.sewall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2018, 08:40 AM   #271
chastings77
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.sewall View Post
Any whitetail on Meredith?

Hey Scott, welcome to TBH! Read this "Lake Meredith" thread from start to finish, most anything you need to know about hunting meredith you can find right here. There are some older Lake Meredith threads that might be useful as well:
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=672573
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=158844
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=483044
Old 11-28-2018, 01:33 PM   #272
scott.sewall
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chastings77 View Post
Hey Scott, welcome to TBH! Read this "Lake Meredith" thread from start to finish, most anything you need to know about hunting meredith you can find right here. There are some older Lake Meredith threads that might be useful as well:

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=672573

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=158844

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=483044

Thanks!

scott.sewall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2018, 11:35 PM   #273
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

Anyone been out in awhile? I was planning on trying to make it out there a couple times before the end of season. I was wondering if any one has been out lately and if there have seen a lot of hunters out? Anyone seen any whitetail or have they been pushed out by pressure?
Old 12-22-2018, 09:18 AM   #274
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

???
Old 12-22-2018, 04:22 PM   #275
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Guess nobody is viewing the thread much. lol
Old 12-22-2018, 06:22 PM   #276
TWarren
Four Point

I haven't been out there since the last weekend of mule deer season but didn't see any white-tails.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:46 PM   #277
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

I hunted the canyon on the east side of delmonte point. It’s been hunted hard. I didn’t see any other hunters but there were lots of foot prints on the trails which were worn pretty good. All I saw was a 3x3 mulie a coyote and 2 calves.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:01 PM   #278
TWarren
Four Point

We were back in either Evans or Martin and saw lots of does but the rut obviously was not in full fervor. Saw some rubs and trails in the bottoms but no sign of WT. I'm guessing they had been heavily harassed by that point.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #279
chastings77
Four Point

haven't been out since the last day of mule season. trying to get out there again, I have seen whitetail out of lower plum towards devils closer to the river.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:08 AM   #280
chastings77
Four Point

oh and hunting pressure, well that is why I haven't been out there again. so many hunters everywhere.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:58 PM   #281
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

So you have seen some whitetail at the mouth of plum creek like along the river or a little south of the mouth of the canyon on plum creek where the river bends back to the west?
Old 12-27-2018, 02:07 PM   #282
chastings77
Four Point

I have, if I get to go back out there, that is where I am going to focus.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:30 PM   #283
Dude Briggs
Six Point

Hunt In: wherever I can afford

Government has it shut down out there
Dude Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #284
chastings77
Four Point

Have you been out there Dude? Not sure how they could shut it down other than blocking all the roads in?
Old 01-11-2019, 09:39 AM   #285
Dude Briggs
Six Point

3 or 4 years ago there was a Gov. shutdown right on our trip in Oct. We waited till Gov. reopened and when we got there they had huge concrete barriers at all access roads that they had just moved to the side. It was clear they put alot of effort in keeping people out of the park for political BS
Old 01-11-2019, 09:48 AM   #286
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

I haven't been out there since the gov shut down. It is federal land with federal employees so I would imagine if they are furloughed then they have block the entrances.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #287
Swamphunterfw
Four Point

Hunt In: All over

Sooo what’s the difference from them walking the canyons an riding horses ? Y’all are complaining because they are walking around canyons on horses ? But y’all are walking around on foot hunting ?
Swamphunterfw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #288
Swamphunterfw
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by agwrestler View Post
I'm all for restricting horses/mules to a specific area just like motorcycle/atv during season.

Atv an horses are completely different horses are not a machine out running around game animals see horses all the time
Think how many people use horses or mules go hunt elk in other states tons

Yíall are just mad yíall donít have horses an yíall have to walk and carry your game out
If you donít like it huny private land
Old 01-11-2019, 04:07 PM   #289
RShockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamphunterfw View Post
Sooo whatís the difference from them walking the canyons an riding horses ? Yíall are complaining because they are walking around canyons on horses ? But yíall are walking around on foot hunting ?
It has nothing to do with the fact they are on horses and everything to do with how they are utilizing them. They are using them to purposely push deer like a deer drive. I have no problem with them riding horses but when they start purposely driving deer it ruins hunting for everyone else for a while.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #290
Dude Briggs
Six Point

Quote:
Atv an horses are completely different horses are not a machine out running around game animals see horses all the time
Think how many people use horses or mules go hunt elk in other states tons

Yíall are just mad yíall donít have horses an yíall have to walk and carry your game out
If you donít like it huny private land
Just a guess but I'm thinking you'v never been to Meredith. Correct me and tell me all about it if I'm wrong.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:43 PM   #291
Swamphunterfw
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Briggs View Post
Just a guess but I'm thinking you'v never been to Meredith. Correct me and tell me all about it if I'm wrong.

Never have hunted there

So if they were walking on foot doing the same it would be ok ?
Old 01-12-2019, 08:27 AM   #292
RShockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Never have hunted there

So if they were walking on foot doing the same it would be ok ?
No it would not be ok even if on foot. However, It would not be nearly as efficient to use that strategy on foot due to the terrain and brush. That is probably why you never see it used by walk in hunters. I am perfectly fine with using horses to get around out there and honest wish I could use them myself. I do however think that hunting from horseback should not be allowed to discourage this type of strategy from being used. In the long run it will make the hunting better for everyone.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #293
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Quote:
Sooo what’s the difference from them walking the canyons an riding horses ? Y’all are complaining because they are walking around canyons on horses ? But y’all are walking around on foot hunting ?
I do not think it is so much riding horses in the canyons or up top of the canyons to hunt as it is half a dozen people lining across the canyon on horseback driving deer through the canyon and shooting them.