Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 01-06-2019, 09:56 AM   #51
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddogem301 View Post
Bought 2 in case someone wanted to join me in a legal trail back country big game hunt!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sweet looking bikes! I assume the batteries are not on them in the pic... What kind of range do you get in the real world. I looked at some of their video and obviously there are a lot of variables. What are you experiencing??

Do you use them for getting in to your camp site?? Or do you actually go hunting daily on them??
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2019, 10:08 AM   #52
birddogem301
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Sweet looking bikes! I assume the batteries are not on them in the pic... What kind of range do you get in the real world. I looked at some of their video and obviously there are a lot of variables. What are you experiencing??

Do you use them for getting in to your camp site?? Or do you actually go hunting daily on them??

This was the second time using these bikes in hunting scenarios. First time went well in Colorado. Average battery life with lots of uphill riding about 30 miles. Only used bikes before opened day on a scout and rode about 25 miles and used a third of battery. Didnít use bikes the rest of week due to snow and icy conditions. Not safe!!! Atv got 95 miles of use this week!!

birddogem301 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #53
birddogem301
Six Point

Quote:

Oh and bikes donít do well on muddy forest roads!!!! Front forks and rear tires got really caked with mud that it was difficult to ride!! Best used on dry dirt roads!

Old 01-06-2019, 10:22 AM   #54
LivinADream
Ten Point

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

so how did the hunt go?
LivinADream is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #55
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
This was the second time using these bikes in hunting scenarios. First time went well in Colorado. Average battery life with lots of uphill riding about 30 miles. Only used bikes before opened day on a scout and rode about 25 miles and used a third of battery. Didnít use bikes the rest of week due to snow and icy conditions. Not safe!!! Atv got 95 miles of use this week!!

Quote:
Oh and bikes donít do well on muddy forest roads!!!! Front forks and rear tires got really caked with mud that it was difficult to ride!! Best used on dry dirt roads!

Thanks for the info... Obviously, their usefulness is limited to our imaginations to a certain extent. Would you say your primary use is to move around during scouting and to expand the area you can cover??
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2019, 10:30 AM   #56
birddogem301
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinADream View Post
so how did the hunt go?

My hunt went well. Glasses up bucks every day. Made several stalks on a few bucks but couldnít close the deal. Was close a few times. Unfortunately, I lost a day and a half due to bad weather and I ran out of time this week but I will head back sometime later and punch my tag!!

Old 01-06-2019, 10:35 AM   #57
LivinADream
Ten Point

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

awesome
LivinADream is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #58
birddogem301
Six Point

Quote:
Thanks for the info... Obviously, their usefulness is limited to our imaginations to a certain extent. Would you say your primary use is to move around during scouting and to expand the area you can cover??

With real hunting experience now these bikes are limited for sure. One of the best thing about riding a bike is that they are quiet. But road conditions and grade of mountains does have its limits. As far as hunting. I found bucks every day I was out. I was atleast 4 miles off main roads and away from all the road hunters.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #59
birddogem301
Six Point

Name:  IMG_2090.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  63.6 KB

Old 01-08-2019, 08:34 PM   #60
MeatEater
Ten Point

Hunt In: Columbus

What unit were you in?
MeatEater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 08:35 PM   #61
birddogem301
Six Point

Southern part of 27

Old 01-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #62
jbw899
Four Point

Hunt In: MO, TX, anywhere

Quote:
Southern part of 27

Just out of curiosity, what is the quality of bucks you see out there? Iím sure it was down this year with as dry as it was. I hunter elk in 7east, around flagstaff, in November/December. Most guys I talked to said the elk didnít have good antler growth at all.
jbw899 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #63
birddogem301
Six Point

I didnít see any bucks over 160. But itís not to say they arenít out there. Had a nephew that hunted just south of me in unit 28. He buddy shot a pretty big buck. Iím guessing his buck was over 170 inches.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:11 AM   #64
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champlaya7 View Post
I'll also be in the southern portion of 27 this January with my brother. Nothing but tents and boots for us but several roads look like they go for 15+ miles back so I'd imagine a Monday-Friday hunt should find us alone for most of it. Good luck to anyone else going!
We went in 52 miles down dirt road one weekend in AZ, thought we would be all alone..... Saw hunters on every single ridge I was glassing.. Good luck, make sure someone knows where you are going
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top