Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 12-06-2018, 07:56 AM   #1
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point

Default LRGV-Tentiente

Any reports from the bow hunters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TXOUTLAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 11:09 AM   #2
hound dog
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Cow nilgai tagged yesterday but not recovered. Only report I got.
hound dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2018, 08:46 AM   #3
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point

Has anyone hunted here this year?

Old 12-28-2018, 10:58 AM   #4
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County, Jim Hogg and Duval County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXOUTLAW View Post

I was on the 12/13-12/16 hunt with another TBHer (only hunted Thur and Friday)and we didn’t kill anything. I saw a few W.T. does I could have taken, a bull at 80 yards and stalked to within 50 yards of a cow. Spoke to 4-5 other hunters and nothing taken as of Friday pm by any of them. The federal fish and game guys showed up Friday and wrote several tickets to me and a few others. I got one for no signed permit(lost it somewhere during the hunt) and baiting. I had a sealed bag of corn in the bed of my truck because I was heading to my lease the next day. They also threatened a third ticket for alcohol on refuge property-forgot I had 3 hot beers in an empty(no ice) ice chest I brought in case I got something. The guy was a jerk and walked into my setup at 5:20 pm looking for me. If the corn was open I would understand but it wasn’t and all the rules state no bait on refuge property or parking areas so I intentionally parked on county roads to avoid this. Follow all rules 100%-they don’t use common sense..

Last edited by TX CHICKEN; 12-28-2018 at 11:04 AM.
TX CHICKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Quote:

Yep, I did. and I know of several other TBH'rs that did too.
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=712222
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2018, 02:07 PM   #6
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
I was on the 12/13-12/16 hunt with another TBHer (only hunted Thur and Friday)and we didnít kill anything. I saw a few W.T. does I could have taken, a bull at 80 yards and stalked to within 50 yards of a cow. Spoke to 4-5 other hunters and nothing taken as of Friday pm by any of them. The federal fish and game guys showed up Friday and wrote several tickets to me and a few others. I got one for no signed permit(lost it somewhere during the hunt) and baiting. I had a sealed bag of corn in the bed of my truck because I was heading to my lease the next day. They also threatened a third ticket for alcohol on refuge property-forgot I had 3 hot beers in an empty(no ice) ice chest I brought in case I got something. The guy was a jerk and walked into my setup at 5:20 pm looking for me. If the corn was open I would understand but it wasnít and all the rules state no bait on refuge property or parking areas so I intentionally parked on county roads to avoid this. Follow all rules 100%-they donít use common sense..
How are they not using common sense?!?!?! When the rules are being broken, then someone has to pay for it right?
Old 12-28-2018, 02:22 PM   #7
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
How are they not using common sense?!?!?! When the rules are being broken, then someone has to pay for it right?
Don’t want to sidetrack this post but the rules are written for Teniente and specifically say “We prohibit the possession, use or hunting over bait on the Refuge. Bait is anything that can be ingested.” I parked on the county road (not on the refuge)just to avoid this. So if I had an apple or some peanuts in my truck that could be ingested would this warrant a ticket? They searched my truck, backpack and hunting area and didn’t find a single kernel of corn. I am fine paying the $230 ticket for misplacing my signed permit.

My reason for posting my experience was meant to warn people to follow every rule and if in doubt don’t do it-they seem to be looking to make $$. The US f&g guys are known to be jerks (from what my duck hunting buddies say) and I am now 1 for 1 on that experience.

Last edited by TX CHICKEN; 12-28-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:16 PM   #8
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Donít want to sidetrack this post but the rules are written for Teniente and specifically say ďWe prohibit the possession, use or hunting over bait on the Refuge. Bait is anything that can be ingested.Ē I parked on the county road (not on the refuge)just to avoid this. So if I had an apple or some peanuts in my truck that could be ingested would this warrant a ticket? They searched my truck, backpack and hunting area and didnít find a single kernel of corn. I am fine paying the $230 ticket for misplacing my signed permit.

My reason for posting my experience was meant to warn people to follow every rule and if in doubt donít do it-they seem to be looking to make $$. The US f&g guys are known to be jerks (from what my duck hunting buddies say) and I am now 1 for 1 on that experience.
i get what your saying and I donít mean to comeoff otherwise with my previous post. When I hunted there, they checked me up and down, left and then right. They can and will be arseholes when given the chance. Was a younger female with a mid 30s male that checked yo?
Old 12-28-2018, 03:36 PM   #9
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
i get what your saying and I donít mean to comeoff otherwise with my previous post. When I hunted there, they checked me up and down, left and then right. They can and will be arseholes when given the chance. Was a younger female with a mid 30s male that checked yo?

Ok thanks. It was 2 guys-they played good cop/bad cop bs. I was totally respectful until the 2nd ticket for baiting and then I did argue a little.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:20 AM   #10
Brown E
Four Point

Well, from what you are writing, that certainly sucks. I hunted there last year and did not see any officers. I also do some bird watching up there without seeing anyone.
Brown E is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2018, 10:33 AM   #11
Txfire409
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin County, Big Thicket NP, Moore Plantation

I was the other hunter with tx chicken and we both struck out but another tbh'r that was there had success on the last day with a nilgai.
Txfire409 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 09:14 AM   #12
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point

Thanks. Guess the wardens have to be strict down there with an open access area like that. Too many people trying to sneak in without permits I bet

Old 12-30-2018, 09:36 AM   #13
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Quote:
Donít want to sidetrack this post but the rules are written for Teniente and specifically say ďWe prohibit the possession, use or hunting over bait on the Refuge. Bait is anything that can be ingested.Ē I parked on the county road (not on the refuge)just to avoid this. So if I had an apple or some peanuts in my truck that could be ingested would this warrant a ticket? They searched my truck, backpack and hunting area and didnít find a single kernel of corn. I am fine paying the $230 ticket for misplacing my signed permit.

My reason for posting my experience was meant to warn people to follow every rule and if in doubt donít do it-they seem to be looking to make $$. The US f&g guys are known to be jerks (from what my duck hunting buddies say) and I am now 1 for 1 on that experience.
$230 isnít too bad for breaking 3 rules. Lol
BigRed323 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2018, 10:10 AM   #14
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Default LRGV-Tentiente

Last edited by TX CHICKEN; 12-30-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:46 PM   #15
L C
Four Point

Anyone else hunting tiniente this weekend?
Any update, or recommendations?
L C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2019, 08:03 AM   #16
Bowhunter1994
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Bowhunter1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 05:50 AM   #17
RGV Hunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can legally

Quote:

They can check your drivers license and verify if you actually have a permit. I have seen them do that before. I know some hunters never get the email that has the permit and all they do is call their office and verify. Sorry about the ticket.
RGV Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 07:07 AM   #18
PBUCKSHOT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Three Rivers, Tx

The GWs at our orientation for LA asked us not to have any alcohol or any bait in our vehicles..period. This was my 2nd orientation and they didn't stress it as much last year. All kidding aside, I bet he mentioned this more than 5 times. So much so that I felt like I was amongst a bunch of kids getting scolded haha. They even mentioned the "on the way to the lease" scenario. I just figured that maybe a few must have taken them lightly last year.
PBUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 06:40 PM   #19
L C
Four Point

What's considered bait? Can you carry a candy bar? Seems like any human food can be bait right?
L C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 07:50 PM   #20
merlin
Eight Point

anything that is ingestible by deer
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2019, 12:14 AM   #21
RGV Hunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can legally

I take my lunch and sit all day. I have never been searched but I guess they could claim that my lunch could be used for bait.
RGV Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 12:26 PM   #22
blhaley91
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mason/Van Horn

My son and I will be out there FEB 8-10. Any tips from those that hunted there this year. Have hunted LA and the other smaller one down there (LRGV i think it was), but not this one.
blhaley91 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 02:01 PM   #23
Chisos9716
Spike

would be a fun hunt!
Chisos9716 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2019, 09:03 AM   #24
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point

Looks like it may be wet and warmer than Iíd like. Snake boots and sit all day.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:35 AM   #25
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Looks like it may be wet and warmer than Iíd like. Snake boots and sit all day.

Warmer is good for Nilgai movement. They should be up and going. good luck
Old 02-01-2019, 02:57 PM   #26
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point

Thanks good to hear but itís the snakes I wanted to avoid. Lol but I have good boots so I should be good

Old 02-01-2019, 05:28 PM   #27
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thanks good to hear but itís the snakes I wanted to avoid. Lol but I have good boots so I should be good

I hear ya. I didnít see any when I hunted there. I hunted in November. Was plenty hot for them then.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:23 PM   #28
Brown E
Four Point

Last year the SE corner had a lot of fresh droppings in
Brown E is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2019, 07:52 PM   #29
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point

Thanks for the tip