Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 12-24-2018, 02:19 AM   #401
justletmein
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public lands

Lol buzzards were not for me thankfully. I did manage to get some brush whacked into my right eye and it swelled up and has a blister on it today so I'm on antibiotic eye drops.

Wife took a shot on a doe and clipped a branch, shot hit somewhere we have hair on the arrow and some gut looking substance but not much of anything. Spent some time looking all over in a grid for blood or bodies, nuthin. I had a little 4 point come walking the treeline next to me on my right where I was not expecting anything, made it next ti ne about 8 yards away and we had a little eyeball contact then he grew wings and took flight lol. Found a lot of flagging tape and a treestand and a glob of old blood with deer hair all in it. I'll be back on Wednesday for the rest of the week.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 07:50 AM   #402
Gringolevi
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Colorado, Freer, Pettus

How crowded is it generally this week into early next week? Wife and I are thinking about heading down
Gringolevi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2018, 03:05 AM   #403
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringolevi View Post
How crowded is it generally this week into early next week? Wife and I are thinking about heading down
Was dead today (Sunday) but about average before that. All 5 of my crew had Fudds walking through their areas at prime hour Saturday evening.

I made a bad shot on a doe Thursday evening, just barely behind the liver in solid gut/stomach area, not a drop of blood anywhere to be found and grid search yielded nothing. Not sure what happened just watched the arrow fly 8 inches too far to the side, torqued my bow I guess. Found her too late she was already rotten and picked over by buzzards. Got a much better shot on a doe tonight and plenty of blood, recovered that one and got her home.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:11 AM   #404
Hawkpuppy 1
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Texas

Sounds like there are a ton of deer out there that die slow painful deaths with bad shots....
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2018, 12:08 PM   #405
gemini2759
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mostly public

Ouch

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2018, 01:10 PM   #406
justletmein
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
Sounds like there are a ton of deer out there that die slow painful deaths with bad shots....
It's incredible the horrible "hail Mary" type shots guys down there freely talk about. Had a guy once tell me he wounded 5 bucks and couldn't recover any of them. I thought he was full of poop until I walked through where he said he was hunting on my way to my spot and found marking tape all over the place and blood trails. He was telling me about 50 yard moving shots, stuff like that. Said he shot one running away from him too. Probably thought it was rude when I just turned and walked away to my truck.

As for mine, it was an 18 yard shot on a calm doe that had no idea I was there. Still not sure what happened.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:32 PM   #407
sp-bow
Four Point

Hunt In: SHNF, MI

Had that happen to me a few years back. Fortunately I was able to recover her. Back at camp I shot a few arrows trying to figure out what happened. Ended up being my new coat was catching my bow string.
sp-bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2018, 08:42 PM   #408
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
It's incredible the horrible "hail Mary" type shots guys down there freely talk about. Had a guy once tell me he wounded 5 bucks and couldn't recover any of them. I thought he was full of poop until I walked through where he said he was hunting on my way to my spot and found marking tape all over the place and blood trails. He was telling me about 50 yard moving shots, stuff like that. Said he shot one running away from him too. Probably thought it was rude when I just turned and walked away to my truck.

As for mine, it was an 18 yard shot on a calm doe that had no idea I was there. Still not sure what happened.
Good deal on the doe!

I think it sucks how many bad shots are taken. Not sure what folks are thinking launching 50 + yard shots and or shots at moving deer. I would be out of arrows if I took wild shots like that. More importantly, I am sure I would be very unhappy with the guy I see in the mirror if I was launching those type of shots.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2019, 10:26 PM   #409
gregfrancescon
Nubbin' Buck

I’m planning on going out on 14th looking for mouflan and aoudad. Anyone been out lately?
gregfrancescon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2019, 10:50 PM   #410
justletmein
Ten Point

Since thread got bumped, anybody know when the white bass run and where to find them out there? I'd like to make a run in March.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:06 AM   #411
donpablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregfrancescon View Post
Iím planning on going out on 14th looking for mouflan and aoudad. Anyone been out lately?
My brother just got back late Monday night. He shot a ewe, its lamb and a ram (all mouflon). He stuck another ram but couldn't find it. Good luck.
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top