Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2018, 01:51 AM   #1
RShockley
Eight Point
 
RShockley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Public Lands
Default Multi pun slider and pin size recommendations

I am planning getting the new Mathews Vertix for next season and trying to plan out the accessories I want on it. I want a multi pin slider sight but since Iíve never had a slider Iím not sure which one to get. Looking pretty heavily at the Black Gold Verdict Assault. Any opinions on the black gold sights or any other recommended brand slider? Also had a question about pin size. I really like shoot 0.10 pins but have not had them on a hunting bow before. Do they still collect enough of light to be easily seen in the low light conditions you frequently have when deer hunting? If they donít collect enough natural light I was assuming I could just use a sight light to provide extra light during those conditions. Last question would be which pin do most of yíall like using as your slider pin? Top or bottom? Still new to the archery world so any help is appreciated and thank you in advance.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #2
Rat
Ten Point
 
Rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bertram
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShockley View Post
I am planning getting the new Mathews Vertix for next season and trying to plan out the accessories I want on it. I want a multi pin slider sight but since Iíve never had a slider Iím not sure which one to get. Looking pretty heavily at the Black Gold Verdict Assault. Any opinions on the black gold sights or any other recommended brand slider? Also had a question about pin size. I really like shoot 0.10 pins but have not had them on a hunting bow before. Do they still collect enough of light to be easily seen in the low light conditions you frequently have when deer hunting? If they donít collect enough natural light I was assuming I could just use a sight light to provide extra light during those conditions. Last question would be which pin do most of yíall like using as your slider pin? Top or bottom? Still new to the archery world so any help is appreciated and thank you in advance.
Black Gold make good sights, no complaints with them, most people love 'em. Spot Hogg is what I use and is another big hit with hunters.

Pin size is based on you and what you prefer. I shot .10 for years and when my eyes got bad enough I switched to .19; .19 is easier to see but it covers more of the target at close ranges.

Most people use the top pin and the bottom as an incidental or loooong range pin; this will let you get as much travel as possible out of the sight for shooting longer distances.

Pin brightness is due to the amount of fiber optic attached and how it is routed. Black Gold tend to have bright pins when compared to others due to the fiber and routing, Spot Hog is pretty good, but not as bright. Almost everyone uses a sight light of some sort, I use a Zbros, but even a basic model that screws into the housing is good enough. I like the Zbros for indoor shooting as well, but for just hunting it is a bit overkill on price, but it still performs great for hunting.
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2018, 10:59 AM   #3
stickbowcoop
Ten Point
 
stickbowcoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Springtown TX
Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.
Default

My last Black Gold 3 pin slider I had built with the top two pins 0.019" and the bottom was a 0.010" pin. I really liked that combo.
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2018, 10:34 PM   #4
RShockley
Eight Point
 
RShockley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Public Lands
Default

Thanks for the recommendations
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 11:16 PM   #5
Reaper87
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin area
Hunt In: Lee county, Mason county
Default

Don’t overlook the CBE sights. Close friend of mine shoots one and loves it. However my next sight will be the spot Hogg fast Eddie
Reaper87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2018, 08:55 AM   #6
matt.howell411
Spike
 
matt.howell411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Default

Iíve heard good thing about the HHA optimizer lite. Thatís what Iím getting soon, more than likely.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matt.howell411 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2018, 04:28 PM   #7
BURTONboy
Pope & Young
 
BURTONboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Ulm
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper87 View Post
Donít overlook the CBE sights. Close friend of mine shoots one and loves it. However my next sight will be the spot Hogg fast Eddie


Which model CBE is a slider and does it use yardage tapes?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #8
Stickit232
Nubbin' Buck
 
Stickit232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: The Woodlands, Tx
Hunt In: Kansas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShockley View Post
I am planning getting the new Mathews Vertix for next season and trying to plan out the accessories I want on it. I want a multi pin slider sight but since Iíve never had a slider Iím not sure which one to get. Looking pretty heavily at the Black Gold Verdict Assault. Any opinions on the black gold sights or any other recommended brand slider? Also had a question about pin size. I really like shoot 0.10 pins but have not had them on a hunting bow before. Do they still collect enough of light to be easily seen in the low light conditions you frequently have when deer hunting? If they donít collect enough natural light I was assuming I could just use a sight light to provide extra light during those conditions. Last question would be which pin do most of yíall like using as your slider pin? Top or bottom? Still new to the archery world so any help is appreciated and thank you in advance.
I have a 5 pin axcel and love it. Best sight I've ever owned. .10 is what I prefer. They engineered a great sight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Stickit232 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #9
Rat
Ten Point
 
Rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bertram
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURTONboy View Post
Which model CBE is a slider and does it use yardage tapes?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My wife shoots the CBE Tek Hybrid (the pro model is the one with the dovetail) and she loves it; it's a well built sight for sure.

I can't' remember if it came with tapes, but most do; I always make my own anyway. But yes, it does use yardage tapes.
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2018, 12:36 PM   #10
BURTONboy
Pope & Young
 
BURTONboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Ulm
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat View Post
My wife shoots the CBE Tek Hybrid (the pro model is the one with the dovetail) and she loves it; it's a well built sight for sure.



I can't' remember if it came with tapes, but most do; I always make my own anyway. But yes, it does use yardage tapes.


Thank you sir. Their site wasnt very clear when I looked at it. They looked adjustable but didnt read anything that told me for certain they were.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com