Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 11-19-2018, 10:12 PM   #1
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Default A few summit viper mods Iíve made over the years

After sitting days and days.... and days on stand your mind wonders eventually and leads you too some ďwhat ifĒ ideas. Iíve put a few in place ver the years on some of my vipers. I bought this viper here on classified for $75!... been up tree in his yard once

These are a few of the mods:

Foam padding!

Take the factory pads off. Save them for walks to the stand when your morning coffee kicks in. Use them to wipe your *** cause thatís all there good for. Only do too rail. Use pvc foam insulation and camo duct tape (camo of your choice). It makes the halves pack tighter, quieter and your release wonít clink wherever the pad isnít!

Probably done a dozen like this. Itís 1000x better
Attached Images

Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2018, 10:18 PM   #2
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Some models came with this mod. Mine didnít... so I upgraded ALL my mobile stands with this upgrade package. It comes with straps and tether. All are ďscrunchyĒ. They are super comfortable for long walks and shock absorbing. But another advantage is how they suck down right before climbing and donít droop down up in the tree and look unnatural. You can even place limbs in them for more breakup
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2018, 10:21 PM   #3
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Tether that comes with it. Never gets caught behind cleats. You squat... it contracts. You climb it stretches.... brilliant!
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2018, 10:28 PM   #4
Low Fence
Pope & Young

The seat !

While unmatched in comfort... and adjustable for ďbowĒ or gun it still needed to be higher t allow for complete NO INTERFERENCE.

the metal clips are held on by metal hog rings. Take pliers and remove them.. save em. Now make them another 3Ē or so shorter and re clamp them. Now when you put the seat as high as it can go in ďbow modeĒ!the rail will be at or below knees. You can now shoot at point blank range and sitting (to your strong side) wth zero rail involvement

And sitting that 2-3Ē higher in the seat allows you to use your pockets without staying smashed up
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2018, 06:45 AM   #5
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Good ideas

I have a climber I bought off of here that needs a makeover when I get a chance

Are those Summit brand pack straps and tether?
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2018, 06:49 AM   #6
DesertDug
Ten Point

Hunt In: far out west texas & SHNF & Lovelady

Looks good.

Mollie pack straps are a huge step above those summit straps. Adds a waist strap.great for those long walks in.

Also look at "Tennessee two straps" to replace tether. These are adjustable straps on each side connecting top and bottom. Cinch them down when set up and make for soiled lock up, a huge improvement. I do not know why every stand does not use this system.
DesertDug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2018, 07:09 AM   #7
kgrutzmacher
Six Point

Hunt In: Crockett, TX / Rocksprings, TX / Public Land

In on this one - I have two that I need to re-condition. On a related note - how often (if ever) do you guys replace the tree cables. Mine have obvious wear on the coating and a small amount of surface rust. No nicks or frayed steel cables...
kgrutzmacher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2018, 07:29 AM   #8
sahunter
Four Point

tagged
sahunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2018, 09:25 AM   #9
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
Good ideas

I have a climber I bought off of here that needs a makeover when I get a chance

Are those Summit brand pack straps and tether?
Yes. And the way they cinch up and grip thereís no need for chest or waste belt. But anything over gun sling style straps is better. The tether is like a bungee cord
Old 11-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #10
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrutzmacher View Post
In on this one - I have two that I need to re-condition. On a related note - how often (if ever) do you guys replace the tree cables. Mine have obvious wear on the coating and a small amount of surface rust. No nicks or frayed steel cables...
I have several stands that I rotate using so I get 3 or so years. But now you can buy just the heat shrink tubing from summit cheap.... the cables arenít very expensive if I remember correctly
Old 11-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #11
DesertDug
Ten Point

free picture hosting

painted with durra coat
Old 11-20-2018, 11:16 AM   #12
Low Fence
Pope & Young

You can tell from your pic how much I raised seat. It’s not impossible to shoot sitting.... but almost and when standing close shots the rail can be an issue.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:38 AM   #13
DesertDug
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
You can tell from your pic how much I raised seat. Itís not impossible to shoot sitting.... but almost and when standing close shots the rail can be an issue.
Ya, I agree. Lifting the seat is solution is great.

I do have a mesh sling seat which does raise the seat level, but just not as comfortable. I think the straps is one of the best things you can dot any climber. Rock solid connection to the tree. It makes the upper and lower sections act as one and forces more pressure into the tree teeth using your own weight.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:16 PM   #14
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
You can tell from your pic how much I raised seat. Itís not impossible to shoot sitting.... but almost and when standing close shots the rail can be an issue.
The seat being low can be an issue. I shot at a buck at 10 yards and when I released the bottom cam rotated and hit the railing. Caused me to shoot just under the buck.

I have done all of these changes you have over the years, except for the bungee tie between the top and bottom. I just have the regular paracord rope between the two.
SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2018, 02:42 PM   #15
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrutzmacher View Post
I just finished 5 days out of state and on way home picked up some new shrink wrap for cables. The complete cables are $49.95 and the shrink wrap is $24.95. Took about 5 minutes to have both ready to heat up. But itís a lot of cable. Probably took 20-25 minutes on heat gun but look as good as factory.

Note: donít think you can double up on the old tubing. It wonít fit into grove if you do... ask me how I know
Old 12-01-2018, 03:10 PM   #16
Redbone
Four Point

Hunt In: TX & MO

A simple thing I add to my climbers and lock-ons is screwing a quiver bracket to the stand itself for an easy and solid place to put your quiver.
Redbone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2018, 07:55 AM   #17
matt.howell411
Four Point

Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matt.howell411 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2018, 08:16 AM   #18
jljjdye
Eight Point

You can also raise the seat just by wrapping the seat attachments around an extra wrap
jljjdye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2018, 12:00 PM   #19
Low Fence
Pope & Young

On my recent out of state trip my buddy’s stand got drenched on day one by rain. I used a loc on that day. I let him borrow my extra viper with seat raised flush. I’m 5’9 hrs 6’2” and his knees where jammed into bar. Didn’t think about that since I’m short. But for you taller fellas may not be able to go as extreme on seat raising
Old 12-18-2018, 05:59 AM   #20
notodehola
Nubbin' Buck

There's definitely a ton of fellow Summit Viper owners out there and I'm sure that many
notodehola is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top