Kerrville Scheiner Youth Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kerrville Scheiner Youth Hunt

Teaser blood has been shed. Final sit. 5 animals so far. Will update tonight

Sounds like it was a good weekend for this hunt. Will be looking forward to the final tally.

Comment

Sorry crashed when I got home last night but will write it up tonight. For you that got drawn, try for stand 3, 6 or 10. All stands good but you will like those stands.

Comment

In for the update

Comment

Friday
          I arrive at the park and I am excited because I can see animals in the field by the tipi. I go up to the cabin to get the blinds and set them out. #10 is first, it is a natural blind in a perfect circle of Cedar bushes. #9 is next it is set on a hiking trail, brush it in. Next #8, this one is down the maintenance road we may not use it but I put it up anyways. #7 is in the camping area, as I come around there are 3 does standing in the park. I stop at 7 and there is a cat, no 4 cats at the “baiting area”. I set the blind and the ranger comes by to corn. We make small talk and he tells me he has baited the other areas so I may see deer. Next is #4, when I pull up there is a small spike eating corn. I chased him off so I could set the blind. On to #5, I see two deer, a big doe and a button buck. I set the blind where someone left their blind material from last year. Next #6 I pull up and there is a six-point eating corn. I walk up and he runs behind a bush and watches me set up the blind. As I get back to my truck I turn around and he is back eating. Now to #3, as I pass #4 the spike is back. I get to #3 and there are two axis spikes there and a wide ten-point. I stop and they look at me. I get out and the axis run to the woods to watch. The ten doesn’t move, I walk to within 5 yards of him. So, I tell him he doesn’t have to leave but not to tell his girlfriends where the blind is. I leave to set #2, as I pull up, there is a big doe and a yearling, I set the blind and leave to set #1 but I realize I left a blind somewhere. I turn around to go back, I see it laying in the road by 4. So, as I am passing #3 I see 9 axis, one with a good rack. I am very encouraged by what I am seeing. I get to #4 and guess who is back, the spike. I get the blind and go set #1. By this time the youth are arriving. I meet and qualify them to hunt. (The park requires bowhunter education.)
          Saturday
          We get up early because I want to have everybody in the blinds at or before 6. Finally, at 5:45 I get everybody loaded into the trucks. Herding cats comes to mind. I drop everyone off and corn all the areas. Nobody is going to sit #6 so I sat there to see what comes in. I sit there and 4 different does come in. One real big doe and 3 yearlings. Finally, about 8:30 I get up to leave and there is a lone doe coming to the corn. She sees me and stomps but doesn’t leave. I walk to my truck and she watches me. When I get to my truck she is at the corn eating. I sit in my truck and watch her. Suddenly, she jumps and runs. I think maybe she came across my scent but no here comes the six. He walks past the corn and then stands broadside to me at 25 yards. I want to try my ninja skills so I ease out of my truck and pretend to draw. He knows he is safe so he wags his tail and walks away. My phone pings, he stops and looks back at me. I look at my phone and one of the dads wants to start tracking because his son shot an axis at 6:50 and one at 7:05 at #3. I tell him I will be right there. I start my truck and pull out on to the road, then I turn it off so I don’t disturb #5 and I roll down the hill. I get to #3, walk up to the blind and scare them. We start the first trail no blood but he watched where it ran. I somehow got turned around so I “lost” the hunters. I go back to the blind and start the other track. Again, no blood but dad told me which way he ran. Pretty soon dad catches up to me, tells me he found the first one and drug it to the road. We start seeing some blood but not a lot. I get a text that #2 shot a whitetail. So, we start trailing and run into the people trailing from #2. I must leave to pick up the rest of the hunters. I come back to try and help track. They found the axis but not the whitetail. We stop and go back to eat. A neighboring land owner comes over to help. About 10:30 the land owner comes back and says he found it. It jumped the fence and was laying against his trailer. The live weight on the axis was 190 and 170. We go back out at 3:00, I set everyone in their blinds. Since nobody is setting in #5, I sit there. By 3:15 I have a big four-point in front of me. He goes over to a tree and does the licking branch, stick it in his eye thing. Then he drops down on his front hocks and sticks his nose to the ground. He suddenly jumps up and starts shaking his head and runs in front of me, stops and shakes his head again. He is so close I can hear his ears slapping. He then walks off. About 4:15 a mature doe comes in eats a little then walks off. At 5:00 a yearling walk in, it is the button buck. He leaves quickly, again I thought he caught my sense, but no here comes a small four-point? his branches might not be an inch. I get a cramp so I stand up, when I sit back down the arm of the chair breaks right at the screw and I fall. I walk back to my truck, it’s 5:45 so I must pick up the hunters in 20 minutes. No sooner do I get in the truck and I see 4 does next to my truck. In front of me walks a different four-point may he is six, he chases the does away. I go pick up #6 and every time they would go to draw the bucks would run off the does. At one point they had 11 deer in front of them. I pick up #4, they had an eight-point in front of them that would not allow anything else come in. Now to #3, they shot an axis. #2 shot a whitetail right at dark so we are going to eat then go look for it. It had a great blood trail and was recovered rather quickly.

Sunday
          Again, herding cats to get them out to the blind before 6:00. When we go to pick them up, all blinds were reporting the same thing the deer were not moving until late. #4 reported about 8:50 they saw 15 deer headed their way.
          Total harvest
          3 axis
          2 whitetails

A lot of fun had by all.

Comment

Cool write up. When I first started reading...I thought you were gonna hunt and set up all the stands to hunt in. Sounded interesting.

Sounds like the kids had a good time. Good Job.

Comment

Great hunt recap, sounds like y'all had a good time. Thanks for taking them hunting.

Now I have to get my map out and check stand locations from your write up.

Comment

Oh, and that blind material on #5 is paying off. Someone left it before me last year and I used it on my pop-up. Killed my doe at 15 yards toward the tree line 1 hour into my first hunt.

Comment

If you want I can tell you all the sites.

Comment

Originally posted by doeboy11 View Post
                    If you want I can tell you all the sites.
                    That would be great, I have the old map from 2016 but they changed the numbers last year and I can't remember them well.

Comment

Yall are making me want to reapply next year ! Nice write up Doeboy.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                        Yall are making me want to reapply next year ! Nice write up Doeboy.
                        I'm heading out Sunday to see if I can get a standby on Monday. Weather is going to be perfect.

Comment

Thanks for the write up and the work you do to help the hunters be successful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

TMAG

#1 first right after gate 100yds on left
                            #2 50yards up on left
                            #3 Across road from where #9 was
                            #4 Just passed dumpsters on right
                            #5 Just passed dump station
                            #6 Top of hill across from parking area
                            #7 In campground site 125 or 127
                            #8 down maintenance road by tipi
                            #9 down hill from #1