Fort Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BirdRanger View Post
    Like I said it was my 2 cents brother. As for hunting up North, I hunted PA all over New England, Ma, VT, NH, ME. Been there done that, can give ya some pointers if ya need.
    Lol...the game commission needs the pointers Kevin...I'm adapting. ..plus hunting WV during PA's retarded breaks...that they allow the bucks to breed..smh

Comment

Yep that is the thing that really suck up in that neck of the woods, No hunting on Sunday, and days that you can only start hunting a noon. Don't know if it is still that way but it stinks, I feel for ya.

Comment

Yep that is the thing that really suck up in that neck of the woods, No hunting on Sunday, and days that you can only start hunting a noon. Don't know if it is still that way but it stinks, I feel for ya.
        Still no Sunday hunting. ..they are taking it to court..but who knows. I don't understand the break between archery and gun...no hunting from 17 Nov-02 Dec...then gun season comes in for two weeks... then no hunting until after Christmas lol...I can't grasp their concept at all...dang yanks...

Comment

Just checked and still no hunting allowed where my stands are located for this weekend and all week. So far I've only been able to hunt one day this year due to area closures. It's frustrating that they shut down the areas all week and I go out there to fill feeders or check cameras and no one is out there training. Or they shut down an area and it's obvious someone had been in my stand while the area was closed. The shutting down of areas seems too random to me. I called several places to see if I can get a printout of which areas are shut down and why and no one knows the answers. They have told me that they black out areas in case they decide to train but often times they decide not to but they don't open the areas. I'm sure they don't know how much we look forward to hunting our stands. I could just go out there and roam around in another area but I refuse to do that at the risk of ruining someone else's hunt.

Comment

Not sure if I was the only one having issues with Teletrac this afternoon. First it said everything was closed after 1600 then it said everything was full 5 min later. Oh well potluck it is man.

Comment

Have a buddy whom has hunted on Hood for a couple of seasons so I have been getting info from him. I spent 16 years active and am a current Reservist, so I thought this would be a good place to hunt. However, after reading through many of these pages, it seems like me planning my Thanksgiving weekend hunting at Hood is not going to be a wise choice. I would be driving from Fort Worth, so it seems I may as well drive the other way to the military only properties in Maxey.

As I am new to signing up and such and will not be able to register my weapon until Fri the 29th, what are the odds I will actually be able to hunt on the guided side? Am I better off bringing my bow as well and use a climber (if allowed) or stalk?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comment

Think I'm done hunting FT. Hood this year, I've gotten permission to hunt 200 acres down south of Houston and have saw deer every day so far and I have never did that in a 3 day stretch on hood.

Comment

I can pretty much put up with everything except the thieves. Seems to be a relatively new phenomenon the last couple of years. At least to the present extent. Doesn't seem to matter how deep in the boonies you hide you stuff, the manage to find it.

I don't have any problem with the "new" guides. They put a lot of effort into providing folks with a good hunt. They pay for just about everything except a few scraps of wood to build stands. Fuel, corn, etc. all comes out of their own pockets. In the past it was a bit clicky and if you were on a guides good side you could pretty much be assured you would be picked in the early morning draw. Don't think that's the case anymore. At least I haven't seen it.

Think the teletrac system is a good system, just needs to work on a regular basis. On more than one occassion, I've been told by telettac that 104 or 105 were closed. A quick call to the SC fixed the matter, but it's something that shouldn't happen. Stupid computers (I love the whole half dozen of them I have, but they are still stupid).

I can't get in too much of a huff about the quotas, except that I think the biologists miss the boat on the doe count in a couple areas. Don't spend as much time wandering the areas as I used to, but I know that a couple areas have way more does than the buck population can service.

Whatever the situation is, I'll still buy my license and donate to the cause. Heading for the Son in laws in AL in a few days, Quota there is two a day (unless it's been changed). One thing I have learned about AL is they ain't got a clue on how to make vension sausage. Anything I get this year goes int cooler and dropped off at Green's. It's a little east of Temple, but the got it going on.

LInk

Comment

Originally posted by EdO View Post
                    I can pretty much put up with everything except the thieves. Seems to be a relatively new phenomenon the last couple of years. At least to the present extent. Doesn't seem to matter how deep in the boonies you hide you stuff, the manage to find it.

I don't have any problem with the "new" guides. They put a lot of effort into providing folks with a good hunt. They pay for just about everything except a few scraps of wood to build stands. Fuel, corn, etc. all comes out of their own pockets. In the past it was a bit clicky and if you were on a guides good side you could pretty much be assured you would be picked in the early morning draw. Don't think that's the case anymore. At least I haven't seen it.

Think the teletrac system is a good system, just needs to work on a regular basis. On more than one occassion, I've been told by telettac that 104 or 105 were closed. A quick call to the SC fixed the matter, but it's something that shouldn't happen. Stupid computers (I love the whole half dozen of them I have, but they are still stupid).

I can't get in too much of a huff about the quotas, except that I think the biologists miss the boat on the doe count in a couple areas. Don't spend as much time wandering the areas as I used to, but I know that a couple areas have way more does than the buck population can service.

Whatever the situation is, I'll still buy my license and donate to the cause. Heading for the Son in laws in AL in a few days, Quota there is two a day (unless it's been changed). One thing I have learned about AL is they ain't got a clue on how to make vension sausage. Anything I get this year goes int cooler and dropped off at Green's. It's a little east of Temple, but the got it going on.

LInk

http://www.greenssausagehouse.com/
                    I agree - the stuff seams to be getting stolen more often. I went out to 300 on Wednesday and was surprised that my stuff was actually still there!

What people don't take into account is the guides actually spend money out of their pockets to maintain the stands, we also do the maintenance in the dead heat of the summer on the weekends when we have time. Not all of the guides are great people its like any organization you have a few bad apples, to be honest I only know a few other that the area that I guide. Before I was asked to assist in my area I had plenty of bad experiences in the 70s and a few other places to be honest. This year was the first year in four that I have taken a deer with a greater than 13" spread as a guide as my area shoots out pretty quick.

The TeleTrack has its glitches, and I just dial another number when its doesn't seam to be working OK, if that don't work call the SC as mentioned that always seams to work.

I either do the deer myself or take it to Millers (Belton) if I am out of sausage, on that note I will second the Green Sausage House, they are closed on Sundays but if you wanted a great Saturday morning breakfast I cant recommend this place enough. Some of the best grub in this place. Once your done you can hit the butcher and get you some choice meat selections

Sreve

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_S View Post
                      I understand that when the land that is Ft Hood was forcibly acquired from all of the civilians that called that area home it was written that the public (civilian or otherwise) would always have access to the hunting and fishing out there as well as some stuff to do with the grazing.
                      If that's the case, I don't have any problem with it whatsoever. As long as the civilian has an established and close connection to the displaced individual. That just seems right to me. Now if it was a distant uncle on the grandmothers side, that's a different story.

As to the added fees on Hood, I pay full freight every year (could get disabled military rates, but I don't feel all that disabled.) Got some missing body parts etc. but nothing major. Don't feel disabled in the least. I just pay full freight hoping it will benefit the active duty folks.

As to the guides, they all seem to put out a whole lot more than they take in. Spend hours in the field clearing paths, setting stands, (and in many cases) providing feeders and feed. Admittedly, some take advantage of their position, but in my observation over the past 20 years, they are few and far between. I could show you some plalce the guides have prepared for guided hunts that would blow your mind. Why they would put that much effort into it is beyond me. I sure wouldn't. Yes, a few of them suck, but the majority are great.
                      Last edited by EdO; 11-24-2013, 11:41 PM.

Comment

To me, and again this is just Kevin's 2 cents, If the guides are paying for everything then they should get paid. If the Hunt and fish program is not going to pony up cash to help their own program, it sounds like Obamacare to me, epic failure. I know the guides put a ton of effort and work into what they do, but when I manage a ranch and the rancher wants something done, it comes out of his pocket, I just do they work. This is my main reason the guide program needs to go away. Again just my 2 cents.

Comment

To me, and again this is just Kevin's 2 cents, If the guides are paying for everything then they should get paid. If the Hunt and fish program is not going to pony up cash to help their own program, it sounds like Obamacare to me, epic failure. I know the guides put a ton of effort and work into what they do, but when I manage a ranch and the rancher wants something done, it comes out of his pocket, I just do they work. This is my main reason the guide program needs to go away. Again just my 2 cents.
                          The sportsmans center supplys enough supplys for 2 box stands a year per guided area. If they want to supply more out of there pocket its on the guides and they know this.

Comment

Happy thanksgiving everybody. Travel safely. God bless!

Comment

Happy turkey day going to be stuffed

Comment

ive been taking a break from hunting ft hood and just hunting on the wma's for ducks and yeah im upset about all the money and time I've wasted on getting my set just right. I am loving the stress free hunting. Its a bummer that ft hood is so hard to hunt because I do love bow hunting deer hopfully HWS works out.

Posted from Texasbowhunter.com App for Android

Comment

Working...
                                X