Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
    That’s not what it means.
    Is your 30 acres a platted lot in a subdivision?
    Didn’t think so.
    Who cares what you think.

Comment

Break 50 acres up into 10 5-acre tracks and put shooting ranges on them.

Then complain about loss of habitat and skyrocketing lease prices.

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
        Then when that doesn't generate enough revenue make it 100 acres....then 150......then 200.......
        Then even more Tex-ifornians move to Arkansas and repeat the process, here 😂

Comment

New deed restriction law!

Who cares what you think.

Somebody who’s interested in the facts rather than your ignorant outrage?

Comment

I am wondering if Mills county saw how the 6,000 acre Winters ranch in Evant was split into 10 acre tracts and see that happening to the same ranch in Mills county that sold. Everyone is subdividing everywhere.

Comment

Mark, I heard the Winters' place is being divided into 200 20 acre tracks. This is more than likely directly related to that.

Comment

The Ag exemption was intended to be just that an exemption for large parcels of land that are used for Ag purposes. This was to allow farmers/ranchers to have a tax break. Because no body like to pay higher taxes anybody with typically 5+ acres started applying for an Ag exemption and most counties approved this. Now it is getting kinda out of hand. I appraise million+ dollar homes that are on 5 acres with absolutely no AG use whatsoever but they claim an Ag exemption and don't pay squat for taxes compared to the average Joe that has less than five acres. I feel like it should not matter the land size it should be the actual use of the land. Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                  The Ag exemption was intended to be just that an exemption for large parcels of land that are used for Ag purposes. This was to allow farmers/ranchers to have a tax break. Because no body like to pay higher taxes anybody with typically 5+ acres started applying for an Ag exemption and most counties approved this. Now it is getting kinda out of hand. I appraise million+ dollar homes that are on 5 acres with absolutely no AG use whatsoever but they claim an Ag exemption and don't pay squat for taxes compared to the average Joe that has less than five acres. I feel like it should not matter the land size it should be the actual use of the land. Just my .02
                  I can promise you those folks with “million + dollar homes” pay more than their fair share of taxes...
                  Ag exemption is for property only. It doesn’t give anyone a break on their house or outbuildings.

Comment

really we're all just shuffling deck chairs talking about where the line is and what gets an ag exemption. all property taxes are fundamentally unconstitutional. you either own it or you don't, and if you own it then no one else does.

Comment

I know there is in increase in the number of people looking for property tax relief so they think, "I know, I'll put in an apiary (bees) in my back yard and claim ag use when I sell the honey."

Counties can designate a minimum acreage, such as 5 or 10 acres but more and more developers are building subdivisions with 10-12 acres to allow new homeowners to use that ag use law, which is not complete exemption but it is a different rate. For the record, Milam County is mostly rural and our biggest 2 towns are Rockdale and Cameron. For Ag Use Valuation, minimum lot size is 12 acres.

On the other side of the coin, is 5 acres really big enough for ag production? Actually, yes. Especially with the growth of farmers' markets.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                        This is for new subdivision requirements. Lots of counties rewriting their rules to prevent large ranches from being broken up into hundreds of Ranchettes. They don't want what has happened to Edwards County to happen to them. This info came directly from Sutton County Judge. I had to pass on a great deal because Sutton County rewrote their rules to limit subdivision and I couldn't meet a Right-of-Way requirement that I see is also listed in your example above.

In your circled example, they're trying to prevent subdivision that could still be Ag Exempt. In other words, you can break it up but if you go too small we're gonna tax the hell out of the new owner.
                        Could a CoOp between neighborhood property owners be a go around?

Comment

Originally posted by dhall1414 View Post
                          really we're all just shuffling deck chairs talking about where the line is and what gets an ag exemption. all property taxes are fundamentally unconstitutional. you either own it or you don't, and if you own it then no one else does.
                          You nailed it. Its bull****.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                            I know there is in increase in the number of people looking for property tax relief so they think, "I know, I'll put in an apiary (bees) in my back yard and claim ag use when I sell the honey."

Counties can designate a minimum acreage, such as 5 or 10 acres but more and more developers are building subdivisions with 10-12 acres to allow new homeowners to use that ag use law, which is not complete exemption but it is a different rate. For the record, Milam County is mostly rural and our biggest 2 towns are Rockdale and Cameron. For Ag Use Valuation, minimum lot size is 12 acres.

On the other side of the coin, is 5 acres really big enough for ag production? Actually, yes. Especially with the growth of farmers' markets.

You can grow a metric **** ton of weed on 5 acres!

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                              Somebody who’s interested in the facts rather than your ignorant outrage?
                              You and your arrogant posts, on and on again.......sorry if my not wanting a county to label me a subdivision, or subdividable property, adding over $1 million to my taxable property as ignorant....then again some people trust the government to provide whats best for them......if my distrust, and your trust, of the government is considered ignorant then thats fine. I'll own my side of it.

Comment

You and your arrogant posts, on and on again.......sorry if my not wanting a county to label me a subdivision, or subdividable property, adding over $1 million to my taxable property as ignorant....then again some people trust the government to provide whats best for them......if my distrust, and your trust, of the government is considered ignorant then thats fine. I'll own my side of it.

You don’t know a thing about me. Doesn’t stop you from telling me what I think. And who’s arrogant? lol at your high road crap.
                                All your BS is just that. Volume doesn’t make it more credible. It just makes you look like a bigger 4sswipe.
                                In this case you have no idea what you’re talking about so why don’t you quit digging the hole?

Comment

Working...
                                X