Venison and Cholesterol...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venison and Cholesterol...

Does anyone have the REAL facts? My Dr. says my Cholesterol is 230 and i need to cut back red meat - or cut it out. i told him i only eat venison from my ranch. Whitetail, Axis, Fallow and Sika deer. maybe a burger a few times a yr... He said venison is high in Cholesterol.

After my internet search i found some say it is high some say it isn't...

Some say its high in the GOOD cholesterol and low in the bad?

Some say Alaska Sika deer have very little cholesterol compared to other deer? Why would that be?

Some say: Venison and beef have about the same levels of saturated fatty acids, but venison is far lower in monounsaturated fatty acids and is higher in polyunsaturated fatty acids — which is a good thing.

Some say (man i hope this is true) : GAME MEAT like venison has 20 percent of the fat in beef (although it does have slightly more cholesterol). Eating venison can lower LDL cholesterol and increase HDL. Amount: The USDA recommends 6 to 7 ounces a day.

Anyone have proof of the truth of venison and cholesterol?

thank you!

dont know........but he said "cut back" that's what he means

Comment

230 is not really that bad, 250 is usually when Doctors start worrying.

Comment

Typically they focus on your LDL levels more so than total. I believe goal is to be below 130. Mine was 155 & Im on a statin 2x per week for now.
        Why not consider substituting some known heart healthy foods & some known to help lower cholesterol. Cheerios, oatmeal for breakfast. Try avocados, whole grains, nuts, more fruit & vegetables for fiber. Pomegranate juice is also known to help lower cholesterol & is pretty tasty to me.
        Could also factor in some cardio 90-120 minutes per week
        Some basic lifestyle changes with diet & exercise can help

Comment

Originally posted by deerdynasty View Post
          Does anyone have the REAL facts? My Dr. says my Cholesterol is 230 and i need to cut back red meat - or cut it out. i told him i only eat venison from my ranch. Whitetail, Axis, Fallow and Sika deer. maybe a burger a few times a yr... He said venison is high in Cholesterol.

Some say Alaska Sika deer have very little cholesterol compared to other deer? Why would that be?

Some say: Venison and beef have about the same levels of saturated fatty acids, but venison is far lower in monounsaturated fatty acids and is higher in polyunsaturated fatty acids — which is a good thing.

Some say (man i hope this is true) : GAME MEAT like venison has 20 percent of the fat in beef (although it does have slightly more cholesterol). Eating venison can lower LDL cholesterol and increase HDL. Amount: The USDA recommends 6 to 7 ounces a day.

thank you!
          Well, being you cant eat venison anymore, I will be by to pick the rest of it.

Comment

Originally posted by deerdynasty View Post

thank you!
            Think about long term.
            Everyone has an opinion but plenty of evidence to show, cutting out red meat altogether is good idea.
            Heart Disease is the number one killer in the US.
            50/50 chance you already have it.
            The USDA, would reccomend cyanide if someone paid them enough .
            Crookedest crooks there are.

Comment

I quit eating beef in June 2019. There was a time that I didn't buy it at all for most of 20 years. Then, about 8 years ago, I started buying it again. But after being put on 2 meds for BP. And one for cholesterol, with the possibility of starting some A1c meds last June, I just decided to change my diet all together. And go back to the diet I used to have. Now my LDL is 85 points lower. And all my lipids are in acceptable limits. I've had one piece of red meat since June. And that was some buffalo I already had (back in June). Been eating a lot of chicken and turkey for meats. And some fishes. But no dark red meat fish. And no shell fish of any kind. I have always liked vegetables no matter how they are cooked. So that has helped some. And I'm not a sweets feller. Don't do icecream, cakes, sweet breads, or any kind of candy.

I am so looking forward to this fall season. Cause I'm gonna kill my limit of deer again! So I can have some mammal meats. Any running game, or wild game, is gonna be better than most meats you get out of the store.

BTW, I've lost between 45 and 50 lbs and am 5'-7". And currently in the lower 190s. I'm planning to get back into exercising very very soon to drop the rest of the weight. I'm limited to the types of exercise I can do. As I've some genetic difference in my blood. And a back and major joints that are giving me problems. Exercise is a key ingredient in raising your HDL, the good cholesterol.
              Last edited by Texas Grown; 03-29-2020, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Some people just run a bit higher on cholesterol than others. Take an honest look at your eating and exercise habits.

Read the book wheat belly. Start or broaden your exercise regime and eat a bit better and you will be back at sub 200 without necessarily eliminating venison from your diet.
                Last edited by Pedernal; 03-29-2020, 02:55 PM.

Comment

thx for info gang. would love to know the fat breakdown in venison vs beef... polyunsaturated vs saturated...

Comment

The factor we cannot control is genetics. Had a sergeant that worked for me some years back---he was a sub-3-hr marathon runner, had about 4% body fat, and cholesterol was above 320--- Now, that doesn't mean you don't work at lowering it as much as possible. I am fortunate that the statin dose I'm on knocked my levels to the 130 region--doc and I are pleased with the "perfect clinical response" to the meds and the side effects have not been noticeable to me.

Comment

Do your deer eat mostly wild edibles or do they mostly eat corn and protein from feeders.
                      Grass fed beef is a lot different than feedlot beef.
                      I'm sure deer are no different.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I asked my doctor pretty much the same question in regards to cholesterol and venison. He was honest and told me he didn't know the answer. I'm sure some grad student somewhere has done the research on this. It's just a matter of finding the data.

Comment

Some of the most fit people I know have high cholesterol and fat guys are low very often. Everyone is different and they will convince you that you need this or that to live but most of this and that is what is killing people. Trust Jesus....walk with Him...talk with Him..all day.
                          Fast one day a week if you want your health restored.

Comment

Venison is good cholesterol. It is actually better than chicken.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm a fat guy and my good cholesterol has always been great. No clue why. Maybe genetics.

Comment

Working...
                              X