Hunting Scope for APR Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't want to hijack one of the other scope threads as I am looking for something a little different. I got in on the APR TBH special and ordered a 7mm-08. Primary use for this gun will be hunting and I would like to be able to comfortably shoot 300-400 yards. I know this isn't a feat by any means, but I am use to sticking to 250 yards and less where I basically just point and click.

I'm looking for high quality glass as well as something with an adjustable elevation turret. Budget is +/- $2,000. Since it will be a hunting setup, weight is also a little bit of a concern. I've pretty much ruled out Nightforce and the Vortex Razor HD because of weight.

Right now, I am leaning towards the Leupold VX-6HD in 3-18x50mm. From what I've researched the CDS system would probably work well for my purpose. I searched and saw quite a bit of feedback about the original VX-6, but not much on the VX-6HD. The other one that I looked at is the Swaro Z6.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone compared these two side by side? Any others I should look at?

Thanks

Originally posted by kc5rkg View Post
    I didn't want to hijack one of the other scope threads as I am looking for something a little different. I got in on the APR TBH special and ordered a 7mm-08. Primary use for this gun will be hunting and I would like to be able to comfortably shoot 300-400 yards. I know this isn't a feat by any means, but I am use to sticking to 250 yards and less where I basically just point and click.

I'm looking for high quality glass as well as something with an adjustable elevation turret. Budget is +/- $2,000. Since it will be a hunting setup, weight is also a little bit of a concern. I've pretty much ruled out Nightforce and the Vortex Razor HD because of weight.

Right now, I am leaning towards the Leupold VX-6HD in 3-18x50mm. From what I've researched the CDS system would probably work well for my purpose. I searched and saw quite a bit of feedback about the original VX-6, but not much on the VX-6HD. The other one that I looked at is the Swaro Z6.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone compared these two side by side? Any others I should look at?

Thanks
    I just read a review on that leupold vx6, because I was looking for the same purpose scope you are, and althought it's certainly a good scope, it seems to be overpriced compared to other scopes in it's class. The only clear advantage it has is it's size. I have seen two separate reviews that commented the glass just wasn't as good as the other scopes, one being the new zeiss V6 conquest line that are considerably cheaper than the leupold. To be honest, I think leupold's glass quality lacks behind equivelent priced scopes for a while, although I've never used anything better than the mkIV. I was highly disappointed with the glass quality of a 4.5-14 MKIV from about 5 years ago.

I have a swarovski z6 with the "hunting turret", and I don't think there is another scope in that price range that can beat it optically. It's absolutely the clearest brightest scope I have. but I don't like the turret... if you're going to shoot to a max 500 yards, it will be great. the way the zero stop works, you're limited to one full rotation to come up, which is about 12 MOA. that doesn't get me to where I need to be past 650 yards or so. I just bought it a week ago or so, so maybe I'll learn to like it more.

I'm looking at March scopes as well. they make a 2.5-24x44 and 52, but they're a bit above $2,000. They're small, light (20 ounces), and the only negative is that since they're made in japan, they only offer a 5 year warranty. right now I'm almost certain that's the direction I'm going to go.
    Last edited by kyle1974; 01-08-2018, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Anyone have experience with the new VX6-HD models?

Comment

Originally posted by kc5rkg View Post

Thanks

If you can swing the Swarovski get it. The VX6HD is good, but the Swarovski is phenomenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’m putting a Leica ER5 in 4-20x50 on mine.

Europtic had a sale on them a month ago for $650.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Black Ice; 01-14-2018, 09:39 PM.

Comment

You can pick up and original VX6 in the 3-18 with TMOA reticle for $950 brand new.

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
              You can pick up and original VX6 in the 3-18 with TMOA reticle for $950 brand new.

Where?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                Where?

Eurooptic

Comment

I wonder if they are actually available. Leupold hasn’t been producing the non hd VX6 for a year now.

Comment

I would save a little coin and go with the VX-5HD 3-15 CDS. That scope impresses me more and more every time I use it.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                      I would save a little coin and go with the VX-5HD 3-15 CDS. That scope impresses me more and more every time I use it.
                      My thinking as well... you're paying for that 6x zoom multiplier and I don't come close to using the full zoom range on any of my guns.

Comment

The VX5 offers a lot for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          I wonder if they are actually available. Leupold hasn’t been producing the non hd VX6 for a year now.

Their website is usually pretty accurate. For instance, they bought a large number of Tikka T3s from Bass Pro when the T3x came out. Then they listed them as “demo” and sold at a discount. That’s what they told me on the phone anyways.
                          Last edited by TxAg; 01-15-2018, 06:05 PM.

Comment

I was leaning toward a VX5 but Mike D. has got me thinking about the Swaro. I will blame him

Comment

Does the VX5-HD and VX6-HD have the same glass? Is the only difference the 5x versus 6x zoom?

Comment

Working...
                              X