When to draw your weapon? - Road Rage Incident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to draw your weapon? - Road Rage Incident

Tonight I had a situation that escalated to the point I questioned whether or not to pull out my carry weapon. I am ok with my handling of the situation now but I as look back, it could have gone easily a different way.

It was after dark, in the wife's SUV and we pulled out of the auto car wash in Port Arthur on Hwy 365 headed to HEB, about 75 yards to the turn off. I saw no one coming as the traffic light is ways down so I pulled out. As I am slowing to make the right hand turn, an Orange Jeep comes by me on my left and swoops over in front of me at the turn, stops in my lane, gets out and approaches the car. There was a car directly behind me, and another behind them. I was boxed in with high speed traffic on my left. He came at the car, hollering that I pulled out in front of him and I motioned and yelled for him to get back. I did this several times, telling him to leave and he was yelling and cussing. Finally, he turned to walk away and spun around and punched the driver's window but it did not break.

I was told to never pull your gun unless you are set on killing the threat. After rethinking the situation, he very well could have been returning to get a weapon? I never saw a weapon on him so I did not see a need to draw as he was approaching.

I might have had an out but I would have run over the guy, or at least him him for sure as I was driving off. Another option was I could have rammed his left rear, pushed it off enough to get away, possibly, and stay out of the faster traffic on my left.

Either way, I was not going to get out or let my window down, but I am second guessing if I should have engaged him as he approached? What if he would have broken the window when he punched it? When do you draw the line and draw on the guy?

We called the police, had the plates out of La and followed him a bit as he was going the direction we were heading and met with the PA Police at a gas station but I know there is nothing they can do, if they can even find him.

Good choice. He will do that to the wrong person soon enough.

Comment

I sure would have had mine in my lap

Comment

Personally I would’ve had my pistol across my lap as soon as he got out of the car. It’s a much quicker way to draw and fire from the lap than having to draw from your holster while seated.

Comment

Texas Law Shield

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

You drove away with your life and without taking one. You did great. Homeboy will pull that on the wrong person one day and have his head turned into a canoe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
              You drove away with your life and without taking one. You did great. Homeboy will pull that on the wrong person one day and have his head turned into a canoe.

My thoughts exactly.

Comment

Yep

Comment

I encourage everyone to watch this video - former police captain and Vice Chairman of the Forensic Evidence Committee of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j4PS_8R5IE"]Massad Ayoob "Judicious Use Of Deadly Force" - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    I sure would have had mine in my lap
                    Yup.

Comment

Had that window broke he would have had the drop on you in a big way, he may not have seen it but mine would have been upholstered and ready when he came back.

Comment

This! I would have my piece in my hand & ready though.

Comment

Sounds like u played it perfectly.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Scary deal and glad your ok. I would have to agree with What some others have said. I would have had mine in my lap. If I saw something that resembled a gun or other type of weapon, I would have to draw down on him. Easy to be an armchair quarterback in this situation. Glad it didn’t get any worse for you.

Comment

I would have had it out of sight but pointing at him through the door upon approach.

Comment

Working...
                              X