Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mistletoe kill a tree?

Will mistletoe kill o a tree?

It took over a bunch of hackberrys on our place and killed a few.

Comment

What kind of tree, and where are you located?

Comment

I got a bunch of Mesquites that are loaded. I've been told that it will kill a tree, however no scientific data.

Comment

Contrary to a mossball, I've heard mistletoe roots pull from the tree suck out nutrients and water etc. They say ball moss doesn't kill a tree, but ultimately it can choke out all the leaves on a tree which kill it; never seen mistletoe that thick but I wouldn't doubt it can happen especially combined with it leaching off the tree.

Comment

It’s a parasite. It could eventually kill a tree. I’ve seen poison oak vines get so thick on trees that during a drought year the tree evidently couldn’t take it and died.

Comment

Yes but usually when there is a heavy infestation. I wouldn't worry about a 2 or 3 but you can remove them. You will need to prune the tree limb itself not just the mistletoe. The mistletoe put down a haustoria similar to a root inside the limb. Gotta take out the limb to take out the mistletoe or look into a herbicide to kill it.

Comment

Just so you know, deer absolutely LOVE eating mistletoe! Just break it off and throw it on the ground... If there are any deer in the area, they'll clean it up quick, fast and in a hurry!!

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
                  It took over a bunch of hackberrys on our place and killed a few.
                  How many groups of mistletoe were on it? I have a huge hackberry in my backyard that had maybe 4-5 clumps of mistletoe on it and it appears to have died. I hoping there's a chance it can come back.

Comment

I have several cedar elms on my lot that are pretty badly infested so I did some reading about it earlier this year. Mistletoe usually grows on trees that are already stressed for one reason or another eg: drought. Since it draws nutriments from the tree the stress is then exacerbated and makes it more susceptible to other problems like disease and insects. If you just cut it out it will sprout back with a vengeance. Removing the entire tree branch 12" below where it is attached is recommended. Another treatment that seems to work is cut the mistletoe flush then wrap that spot in black plastic. It may take 6 months or more but the root will die from lack of sunlight. The most common recommendation is to do things to make the tree generally more healthy - make sure the soil is not compacted and it is getting plenty of nutrients (tree fertilizer) and water.

Comment

As mentioned above deer really love the stuff. Anytime I get some i put it out for them and they will devour it.

Comment

jerp is correct...……
                        Mistletoe growth on a tree, is a symptom of a tree already in stress.....

Comment

Working...
                        X