LH Over/Under Shooters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LH Over/Under Shooters

Looking to buy an over/under shootgun. We have a lot of dove and quail at our lease. I’m reading and hearing different things about buying a left handed over/under. I have a left handed SBE2 and I get that. Does the “cast” really make that much difference? I’ve shot my buddies RH over/under with no issue. Just wanting to ask the GS for advice. Thanks in advance for the help.

So i am a lefty...and shoot a Citori.

I didn't even know there was a distinction for o/u’s...lh or rh.

I’m not a competitive shooter or anything, but i haven't noticed anything.

(and my daughter is a lefty and shoots an o/u too)

I do shoot LH rifles though.
    Last edited by Coacheddy; 11-19-2020, 09:04 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Thanks Coach for the reply. I’m for sure not a competitive shooter either.

Comment

Never heard of a lh over/under

Comment

I shoot a lh blaser f3 for competition. I have 2 CZ o/u’s for field guns. They are pretty neutral and I don’t have a problem killing birds with them.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
            Never heard of a lh over/under
            Me either until multiple people told me about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Toddcaster View Post
              I shoot a lh blaser f3 for competition. I have 2 CZ o/u’s for field guns. They are pretty neutral and I don’t have a problem killing birds with them.
              Is anything different on a LH gun other than the cast?

Comment

Tx ag had one for sale the other day

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                  Tx ag had one for sale the other day
                  A LH over/under? Not sure I saw that?

Comment

I have a Winchester Supreme Sporting which is basically a Winchester 101 and I shoot it left handed and don’t have an issue hitting birds or sporting clays

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
                      I have a Winchester Supreme Sporting which is basically a Winchester 101 and I shoot it left handed and don’t have an issue hitting birds or sporting clays
                      That’s good to know. I’m just trying to research as much as I can before buying. Thanks.

Comment

Basically there are RH, Neutral and LH cast in stocks. This is done with the in letting of the stocks. Some makers also use shims to put cast on or cast off in a stock.they can also change the drop but that’s another chapter in stock fitting. You can grab the gun by it’s muzzle and look down it to see which way it points. Only do this with an unloaded shotgun.

Some “right handed” labeled guns (most of them )will be neutral and the stock will be inline with the barrel/action. When the gun is fired the recoil more or less goes straight back. Eye relationship is centered.

A true right handed stock is casted to the right. When looking down the muzzle end the butt will noticeably be pointing left. When the gun is fired the recoil is directed away from your face and not into it.

A true left handed stock is casted to the left. When looking down the muzzle end the butt will noticeably be pointing right. When the gun is fired the recoil is directed away from your face and not into it.

It really depends on the make and model on how theses stocks are casted. A true right handed shotgun shot left handed can drive recoil into your face and be felt. Likewise a true left handed cast shotgun shot right handed can do the same.

We are all shaped differently and some people will have to alter a shotgun stock to fit them correctly. Shotgun fit is important if you want to be the best you can be. It’s all about the gun fitting your shoulder comfortably and the relationship of your dominate eye is with the muzzle. With a shotgun your eye is the “rear sight”. You change it’s position and change the gun’s POI.

Other than left handed stocks I do have left handed triggers on some target guns.
                        Last edited by sendit; 11-19-2020, 10:28 PM.

Comment

You will not notice any difference on a neutral stock, but throw up a right hand cast o/u as a lefty and you should see it push your head away from centerline. Most of the newer competition guns have palm swell along with cast. I am cross dominant, right handed, but left eye dominant. Pay the extra money for left handed wood.

Comment

The average person wont know the difference and the average shotgun is made for the average guy.

You can have anything fitted to you but you have to decide if its worth the coin to shoot quail.

As a shotgunner my whole life I didnt see the need until my kid started to shoot competitively. Now there are 3 fitted shotguns in the house (none to me[emoji848]). He picked up 3-4 targets right off the bat and my wife who needing stock cut and bent picked up about 10

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm left handed and grew up shooting right handed guns(everyone else in the family is right handed), and when I got my first real job, I bought me a left handed rifle and shotgun. I could'nt work them as well as the right handed guns. Traded them for right handed guns, and to this day it's all I shoot.

Comment

Working...
                              X