No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a hot wire fence to keep the cattle out of the flats/marsh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by piercebronkite View Post
      Or Slick trick magnums.

Also, what's up with the units being cropped on the kill board?

Pretty sure that’s on purpose. He doesn’t want to disclose the unit he harvested the Nilgai out of. Understandable.

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
        Mathews Halon 32
        72lbs Draw Weight
        31" Arrow
        561 Grains
        285 fps
        Magnus Stinger

Pure destruction.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Pssh- if you had used a Rage, that bull would have dropped in its tracks and you could have used the broadhead again. [emoji3517]

Comment

Originally posted by zins708 View Post
          Pssh- if you had used a Rage, that bull would have dropped in its tracks and you could have used the broadhead again. [emoji3517]

Ha, it would have bounced out rather than fallen.

Yet, in 2017 I zipped a Rage Trypan straight through a big nilgai cow at 36yards with less weight same speed. Never found the arrow.
          But yes, expandables are not for animals this size.

Comment

Yet, in 2017 I zipped a Rage Trypan straight through a big nilgai cow at 36yards with less weight same speed. Never found the arrow.

Trypan worked on this little guy... given, I shot him in the femoral artery and didn’t hit bone, lol.

Comment

Dang... obviously that broad head folded upon itself on the inside exit way out and not upon entry? Curious to see what the pathology is like. Shoulder blades maybe? Congrats. Agreed. Flappers need not apply with that size bull.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiburon1 View Post
                Does anyone know why there is a make shift fence along the back part of unit 5 that essentially parallels the arroyo? I've also seen some cattle around there that I thought was due to the hurricane but now am thinking they were placed on there deliberately. Any word from the officials on that? Has anyone hunted around that area?

They are experimenting with a different type of eradication program for the fever ticks. They are dosing the cattle every so many days with something.

Comment

Spike down

Well, it was an extremely tough hunt. Very warm the first half and very little movement the entire time. A lot of movement at night as trails were freshened up after the evening hunt.

Luckily today, I had called it quits after the morning hunt so I went to grab my tripod out of the brush. Ended finding this guy at 1210 and ran to my truck to grab my bow, snuck up to about 15 yards away and put one right through him. No blood trail, but found him piled up about 40 yards away. Thought I was going home empty handed!

Till next year
                  Attached Files

Comment

Congrats on the spike

Comment

I’ve killed several nilgai on the refuge one estimated by warden pushing 700 lbs. all shot with rage. That being said the newer ones are not near the quality of the older in my opinion. I switched to Iron Will after the last two packages of Rage came apart. My big bull was 40 yards quartered away arrow stuck in skin on opposite side Rage still intact.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                        Well, it was an extremely tough hunt. Very warm the first half and very little movement the entire time. A lot of movement at night as trails were freshened up after the evening hunt.

Luckily today, I had called it quits after the morning hunt so I went to grab my tripod out of the brush. Ended finding this guy at 1210 and ran to my truck to grab my bow, snuck up to about 15 yards away and put one right through him. No blood trail, but found him piled up about 40 yards away. Thought I was going home empty handed!

Till next year
                        Congrats on the kill bud!

Comment

Congrats BigRed. I was looking for you. You are a big part of my success since your first replys commenting that I was in for a tough hunt and a it being a different world for me prior to my first day setting foot on the refuge. It lit a fire in me.

Comment

Originally posted by chancito1 View Post
                            I’ve killed several nilgai on the refuge one estimated by warden pushing 700 lbs. all shot with rage. That being said the newer ones are not near the quality of the older in my opinion. I switched to Iron Will after the last two packages of Rage came apart. My big bull was 40 yards quartered away arrow stuck in skin on opposite side Rage still intact.
                            Yes, I saw a pic of you with a megabull! You are one of the Refuge OGs. Much respect, Sir!

Comment

I'll try and keep it short.
                              This hunt was tough tough! Very hot and humid.
                              Day 1) I spent 12 straight hours in one square foot of a mesquite. I did not climb down once. A skunk came under me at dawn. That is the only animal I saw. Literally, skunked.
                              Day 2) Saw a doe and two fawns, 1 bull spooked when I swapped spots.
                              Day 3) I abandoned 1 and went to 8, worked a large loop of the refuge. South of 8, into north of 3 through 8 back south then back west into 3. Saw animals, nothing close. 189 yards was the closest. Did some unorthodox methods. Hard pushes, wind bumps, even got undressed to cross a canal. Full blitz into the howling north wind. Passed on some deer. I was already accepting my first time being defeated, but just trying to enjoy it and tone it down a bit. Things were different this year, dead. Limited sightings. Not as much sign, no green vegetation, hardly any **** piles and small at that in some of my go to spots. So I tried new turf. It was still fun, but temps made it miserable. North looked fresh, green, lush and plenty of water.
                              Day 4) North wind still blowing had me feeling it, I knew it was the day that something was going to happen. It did.

I snuck in as stealthy, silently and as lightless as possible. Pausing frequently to listen for any game spooked or nilgai verbal alerts every time I heard something. Clean entrance. Saw a long tail cat. I saw 1 doe. At 8:30 am I heard him. The sound of grass moving. Here he comes. 30 yards at my 10 o'clock hoofs walking straight towards me his head down. I instantly grab my bow and latch on. Hes walking straight to me down a trail and will end up at 11 yards at the closest xing. I draw back before he clears the last bush. He stopped 18yds, hard quartering towards. I get to full draw smoothly (I told myself and others I'm taking a head shot to the brain anything 20yd or less, I did not want a track job) but at that angle I chickened out. I centered the pin on him, relax, and let it go. SHWACK! It stuck directly in his shoulder BONE(not blade) 31" of full arrow sticking out! He JUMPS! Bounds 15 yards to my 12 o'clock and spins around looking at what just stung him! Looking hard, up and down, lifts his right hoof and STOMPS. He was mad and confused and totally zoned on looking for what stuck him. I reach blindly for another arrow(quiver detached) never taking my eyes off him, he keeps looking as I fumble and fight my quiver to get an arrow loose(normally I have a 2nd one free already) I fumble and fumble and fumble pulling at this arrow(hog arrowhead but at this point I just wanted any arrow), I nudge the quiver into the tree and he heard it. Glanced towards me, then immediately back to the area he got stuck. He turned away and I took my eyes off him for a split second to get orientated on which arrow to grab, grabbed my 2nd arrow and knocked it as he begins walking away. DOINK! He heard me knock the arrow and turned around to look. I froze. We stared. He contined walking away, quartered perfectly(just like I needed) I drew back again! He looked again. I knew he was 35-40yds. My pins vibrate back and forth left to right from drawing so quick, the pins settled, yellow pin, let it go! SHHHHPAH! Sunk it deep behind left shoulder with solid penetration. He takes off and I jump down and run up 20 yards to be able to watch. He's at 100 yards before I get eyes on him running, turns right, out of sight, I freeze and listen. Limbs cracking for 2 seconds then, death moan. 2 horrendous bawls. Silence.
                              I couldn't believe I got a 2nd shot. I waited an hour. Told some buddies. Went after 70mins after. Found blood at 30yds, followed it straight to him 120 yds away to where he laid.

The A-Team disintegrated, Dad wasn't able to attend due to lung/bone cancer. TXoutdoorsman never showed, my 2 other hunting partners were 30 & 15 mins down the highway I was alone. Not turning around. Then, The Laguna Master comes to help. He walks a cart all the way in. Helps me drag, gut and haul him out whole. He is a beast and thinks it's funny the entire time! Told me he was a baby bull. I couldn't have done it alone. I doubt seriously any one man could. Arrived at parking lot at 1:30pm. He helped me skin then went back for an evening hunt.I finished everything by 6pm. I was in bad shape. Hadn't eaten anything since the nught before, pee'd for the first timr at 5:30 pm and had several waters and gatorades. It was a rodeo and I had more support than I can type.

Anyways, enough yapping. Here's what you've all been waiting for.

Last edited by Mr. Public; 11-17-2020, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Thank for the acknowledgement and great compliments. Conquer Laguna, that I did. It is never ever easy. My quest is complete at LANWR. Mature bucks, Boars, Mature Cow Nilgai and Bull.

From now on, I feel that I will enjoy it more. Less putting myself through hell and torturing myself for sucess. More time enjoying a more relaxed hunt(I say that now)

Yeah, well have you ever shot the tail off of a Nilgai at 60 yards????

That ain’t an easy thing to do! Way harder than killing a giant bull. [emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787]

Congratulations man! I can’t wait to hear the full story. A trophy well earned and I’m happy for you. That is something to be truly proud of.

I’m still trying to get my first Nilgai with a bow. I’m back there in two weeks for my second attempt and I can barely think about anything else.

Comment

Working...
                                X