Planting for horses??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planting for horses??

I have 2 acres that my horses get to be on.. its mostly weeds no great forage... Looking to plant somthing for the winter time... I have 3 50lbs bags of rye 2 50 lbs bags of Bermuda seed... I was going to get some wheat amd oats and mix all up... My goats also are here... I can water often if needed any ideas?

2 acres of prime grass will feed 1 goat or 1/3 of a horse. Plant everything you got. Feed hay and feed. And worm often. Seriously

Comment

don't think that's going to work?

Comment

I feed hay and grain daily just looking for something for them to munch on.

Comment

They have top and bottom teeth ( unlike cattle) they will bite it off at the root the millisecond it pops up... reason for the weeds.

Feed more or reduce mouths

Comment

Land is cross femced no so Inwill be rotating just looking for forage tips

Comment

you still work for animal control?

Comment

Originally posted by waterdog View Post
                you still work for animal control?
                Yes sir

Comment

Originally posted by webstertroy View Post
                  Land is cross femced no so Inwill be rotating just looking for forage tips
                  Cross fenced 2 acres... with a horse and goat(s)?

Comment

Yes ober all theres 5 acres but mine are mostly on just my 2 rotate acre weekly somtimes turn loose on all 5

Comment

First post said horseS, how many horses do you keep on 1 acre? Seems like a pretty small area...

Comment

I sometimes plant ryegrass for winter. Isnt really grazeable till late winter. But you will have to keep em off all day. Just let em on it a bit every day or every few days, depending on how high it is. Dont wait too long, once it gets real high they stop eating it for some reaon. You will have to regulate it. You cant have em on hay for a month then let em eat ryegrass all one day. The bacteria in their stomach has to adjust to the rich grass. A little every day is a good treat and wont make em colic.

Bermuda is warm season perennial. Will be good spring summer.

Comment

Wherever you disc up to plant your going to lose that grazing until your grass gets established. Sounds like your going to have a hell of a feed bill.

Comment

Picture yourself pissin in 100 mph head wind. The results are gonna be the same.

Comment

for the winter time Bermuda wont grow too cold on N TX. Rye - most horses don't like it.
                              Probably just plan on weekly trips to TSC

Comment

Working...
                              X