Lesson learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lesson learned

Well this is the outcome of my attempt at trying to be a gunsmith. I over torqued the screws and broke the Boyd’s stock on my Savage 93R 17. New stock is on the way and I’m having a Smith bed and install it.
    Attached Files

Doh!

Comment

Well, I’ve never done that but I’ve done innumerable other stuff that I’d rather not go into right now.

Comment

Man that sucks!!!

Comment

It’s basically a paperweight now...

Comment

I gotta know how you did that!! Do you have a torque wrench?

Or did you just give her the ole “drunk gorilla with a breaker bar” approach

Comment

There’s lots more expensive lessons that teach the same thing! I was bought an old S&W 41mag that had a little surface rust on the trigger and hammer. I read that vinegar eats rust. So I puts some on and scrubbed and a little came off. I eventually got tired of scrubbing and decided I’d let it just soak for a couple hours in the vinegar. I came back and the hammer, trigger and all high carbon inside parts were gone. Just the stainless steel frame was left.
              I went the opposite direction you’re going though and ordered all the tiny little parts and learned how to build a revolver. BUT I did learn not to leave vinegar on any metal lol

Comment

Spread the crack a little, let some epoxy flow into it, then clamp it tight. Little dremel work then install pillars and you are as good as new. It's a 17, not a 300 WinMag.

Comment

Your not the first. You won't be the last David.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
                    Spread the crack a little, let some epoxy flow into it, then clamp it tight. Little dremel work then install pillars and you are as good as new. It's a 17, not a 300 WinMag.
                    This^^^

There seems like a lot of ways that you could repair this damage, especially given how little stress that stock would sustain.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
                      Yep.

Comment

Working...
                      X