No announcement yet.

Property Tax - Got statement for 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protesting is not hard and you don't have to pay someone else to do it. You need to look at comparables - either their values or their sales. One of my last two houses in Williamson County, I have successfully protested and reduced rather significantly. On the first, y exact floor plan around the corner was listed and sold for $25K less than my proposed value. I took that as evidence and sent it in an electronic protest (there is a window). I got a polite email back with a "counter offer" that was only 3 or 400 higher than what I asked for. All I had to do was email back "accepted". They updated my value in about 3 days.

On my current home they upped by almost 25% but the law only allowed for 10% at the time so they had to carry forward 15% for the next year. I went through the same process. I sent them my paperwork for what I paid along with pictures and similar listings around me. They agreed to adjust it down to almost exactly what I asked for and again all this was electronic. I didn't even have to go in.

The moral of the story is this: if the valuation is fair market value, there's not much you can do but pay it. If you can show through documentation why the valuation is not correct, unfair, etc., provide said documentation and they will adjust it. No lawyer is necessary and DON'T pay those people that say they'll do it for you and take a cut. They are just doing exactly what I stated above.
    Last edited by ken800; 05-07-2020, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
      How can a (good) lawyer spend his/her time to do that for only $200?
      Volume. Not like he'd be doing the work. I'd imagine he's working on the higher margin work and having an office employee mailing letters to the appraisal districts en mass.

Comment

Surprised mine went down by 7%. First time i recall it going down!

Comment

I have plugged my income into several different states to figure out what the difference would be. When you figure a much lower property tax plus a state income tax there really is not a big difference. The states I would like to live normally have higher gas prices also. The difference for my situation is roughly 1k-2k per year. This is not as disparate as you would think.

Comment

Originally posted by kc5rkg View Post
            Just got my statement today from Brazoria County and they increased it a full 10%.
            They raised mine in Liverpool almost 17%. The value went up from 230K to 269K. The Brazoria CAD made it harder to protest them too. Now we have to go in for a hearing instead of simply going in to their office. I hope our old county tax assessor collector Rovin Garrett loses her bid for state office and has to join all of us little people again that she has screwed over for so long.

Comment

Interesting, my rep told me it couldn't go up that much......guess the guys that wrote and passed the bill didn't get it right !! Explains why his explanation was so confusing !

Comment

Originally posted by austinRecurve View Post
                Property tax should freeze at the purchase value. That way you know what you're gonna pay until you sell it.

This.. that way you are truly paying for what it’s worth. IMO something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                  My property tax on my house will be around 7k a year. State Income tax is probably triple that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  When I look up property taxes and income taxes on https://smartasset.com/taxes/louisiana-tax-calculator the combined property tax and income in LA vs what I pay in property tax in Williamson County (rate of 2.32%) I would save almost $5000 every year if salary and house value were the same and I was living in East Baton Rouge Parish. I'm willing to try different Parish for comparison, I just picked that since it said BR in it.

Once retired and income isn't as high, that savings would increase. An extra $500+/month in retirement that isn't going to some tax is why I say I'm considering that in retirement. Of course it's 16 years from now so all that could easily change before then.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                    Wait, what? No more school taxes, Johnny? How did that happen?
                    They lock your tax rate and give you all the exemptions. Got $1500.00 back this year. {First year}
                    It's like no more school tax.................

They also said I could quit paying taxes and they would put a lein on the taxes owed on the house making it my kids problem.......
                    Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 05-07-2020, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      Geez They raised it the max 10%

How in Hades do people afford property tax? I live in one of the oldest subdivisions/neighborhood in Leander. House is 1,180 sq/ft build in the 70's.

Freaking thieves want $4,750 for 2020.... Say it's value is now 200k

So if my POS house is that much what in the world are all these people in new 3-8k sq/ft brand new homes with pools paying? $10-30k per year in tax?

So if I rent my home out the first $400 per month goes to the tax man...LOL I better not hear on TV how landlords charge to much to renters.

Rant over.
                      We were looking at buying a new house.... The property tax was going to be about equal to 50% of the monthly P&I.... CRRRAAAZZZYYYYY ... I don't get that much benifit out of the county I live in..

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
                        When I look up property taxes and income taxes on https://smartasset.com/taxes/louisiana-tax-calculator the combined property tax and income in LA vs what I pay in property tax in Williamson County (rate of 2.32%) I would save almost $5000 every year if salary and house value were the same and I was living in East Baton Rouge Parish. I'm willing to try different Parish for comparison, I just picked that since it said BR in it.

Once retired and income isn't as high, that savings would increase. An extra $500+/month in retirement that isn't going to some tax is why I say I'm considering that in retirement. Of course it's 16 years from now so all that could easily change before then.

How much house will 24k in property taxes get in a big city suburb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Raw land (5acres) jumped in value from $60k to $175k. About 192% increase. I can assure you there are zero comps that reflect that price in my area. There is a subdivision 2-3 miles away with community water and seed restrictions that I’m sure they got their comps from. This is Montgomery county. It’s a total con.

Comment

Full 10% here as well. Will be protesting

Comment

Originally posted by scotth89 View Post
                              Raw land (5acres) jumped in value from $60k to $175k. About 192% increase. I can assure you there are zero comps that reflect that price in my area. There is a subdivision 2-3 miles away with community water and seed restrictions that I’m sure they got their comps from. This is Montgomery county. It’s a total con.
                              I don’t know if you read mine.

Brazoria county. 74k to 210k on 11.5 acres of Ag land with a barn.

Comment

In Tennessee 4 acres with 3/2 and creek in front yard outside of Knoxville.
                                I paid $486/YEAR in taxes.

Comment

Working...
                                X