No announcement yet.

Help with guitar value - 1969 Fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made in Fullerton 1969 or early 70. Nice closet find.

Hogboy

Comment

According to the serial number it is a 1970. Fret and screw counts are irrelevant. It will still be worth a mint!

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
        Wow.
        Have you looked on Reverb for comps?

The Fender Stratocaster is arguably the most iconic, most played, and most copied electric guitar design of all-time. Fender launched the Strat in 1954, and the model evolved throughout the '50s and '60s. With the CBS purchase of Fender in 1965, the classic era of Strat production ended, and subs...

$10,000 is a nice round number and probably not inappropriate.
        Good luck!
        With the case, it is probably more. 10k is a start.

Comment

Holy crap! That is a gem! And in fabulous condition!
          I couldn't determine between 1969 or 1970.

A 50 yr old strat, in condition, all knobs present and still legible, tone switch, with original case, dang I bet even the original tremelo bar is in the case - I'd never let it go. I'd love to bend some blues on that thing.

It is not made in Mexico. Way more than $350.

The range in price your seeing shopping around is likely due to different conditions of different guitars of the same era. If it plays, then expect top dollar. Proceed with high expectations.

Check this site and then check with some experts on value, not someone looking to buy.
          You can find the Fender serial number at the top of the neck plate, on the front or back of the headstock, on the vibrato cover plate for Stratocaster, or at the end of the neck heel.

Comment

Needs a whoopee bar.

And I’m in for the original appraisal price of $350. Cash in hand!
            Last edited by Stuck; 12-04-2019, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Without seeing it in person and also pulling the neck off and pickups to look in the cavities that absolutely looks like a legit vintage 1970 strat. You have a real piece right there. Congrats. Also the American made strats didn’t start having 22 frets til sometime in the 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                According to the serial number it is a 1970. Fret and screw counts are irrelevant. It will still be worth a mint!
                I missed the part in the OP where he said Dad was playing it in the 70s. Agree fret count and pickup screws arent indicators until later. My bad. Learned something this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                  I missed the part in the OP where he said Dad was playing it in the 70s. Agree fret count and pickup screws arent indicators until later. My bad. Learned something this morning.
                  Fret count is irrelevant. Fender made Strats with 21, 22 and 24 frets. If you want to get picky, the 21 fret guitars are Vintage, which increases the value of the guitar. Most Strats are made with 21....I think.

I would love to know if his father bought it new or used. That guitar is the same model that SRV and Buddy Holly used....off by one year. Just a little history. The reason the '69 is so popular is due to Hendrix supposedly playing a '69 at Woodstock, he actually played a '67, but that era guitar came with the same pickups. Thus the reason behind the pop of the '69.

I may be wrong about SRV...gotta check on that. I think it was a 69 though.

Comment

SRV #1 had a 63 that he thought was a 59 cause of some writings on the pickups or in the body I believe. Think the body was stamped as a 63 and the neck a 62 or it may have been the opposite. Either way the op has a hell of a guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                      Needs a whoopee bar.
                      My buddy broke mine off inside at the threading by over tightening it...who muscles the bar that tight??

Comment

Man know I'm learning something. Not what kind of camo to wear

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Big C View Post
                          SRV #1 had a 63 that he thought was a 59 cause of some writings on the pickups or in the body I believe. Think the body was stamped as a 63 and the neck a 62 or it may have been the opposite. Either way the op has a hell of a guitar.
                          Yep, I rethought that, I remembered something about a '59 or '57, anyhow, an original Strat of any year is a gem.

Comment

Originally posted by Big C View Post
                            Without seeing it in person and also pulling the neck off and pickups to look in the cavities that absolutely looks like a legit vintage 1970 strat. You have a real piece right there. Congrats. Also the American made strats didn’t start having 22 frets til sometime in the 80s.
                            Big C, if you look at the pic with the neck screws, it doesn't look like they have ever been off. Can you imagine the original pickups on an original guitar? Oh my.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                              Needs a whoopee bar.

And I’m in for the original appraisal price of $350. Cash in hand!
                              Sorry dude, you WILL be out bid on that sweet thang. I will drive to Catsprings, where ever that is and pick it up face to face.

Comment

I'm a Fender collector. That guitar looks legit! I'm currently rebuilding a '72 that should sell for 5-10K. If you were closer, I'd take a look at it and verify the age and give you an estimate, but from the pics posted here, you've got quite a fine piece of craftsmanship!

Todd

Comment

Working...
                                X