Perennial plot establishment/fertilizer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perennial plot establishment/fertilizer question

I am about to plant a new two acre plot in Northeast Texas. It is a clover/chicory perennial plot and soil tests were conducted earlier this year. We added the lime already and someone is coming to redisc the plot and smoothe it out this weekend. Unfortunately it is too dry to plant, and we can't get tractor work done later.

So my question is, we have purchased the required amount of fertilizer so do we put it out and disc it in this weekend or just spread it and drag it when we seed the plot?

Hopefully we will get some rain and be planting within 2 to 3 weeks at the latest if that helps.

Comment

I would wait until you put the seed in.

Comment

Bump

Comment

No problem adding fertilizer now. It will have already started to feed the soil and be available when the seeds germinate.

Comment

The "perennial" part caught my eye

If anyone has had success in east texas,please share the secrets

Summers in Van Zandt Co schmoke everything but goatweed

bill

Comment

Originally posted by TreeDaddy View Post
              The "perennial" part caught my eye

If anyone has had success in east texas,please share the secrets

Summers in Van Zandt Co schmoke everything but goatweed

bill

We are in the process of digging a shallow welll in a nearby creek with a solar pump to assist us in watering it next summer

Comment

Unfortunately, summer heat is Texas at its finest. I’ve grown several good clover and clover/chicory plots over the years, but the facts of life are that it’s gonna be mainly a spring, early summer, and fall plot. After cold weather sets in it goes dormant. In the two hottest months of summer it’s toast. With normal rainfall, (which we might not have this year), it will start to perk up mid to late September and go pretty strong into December. It needs to be planted in soils that are NOT well-drained. If you’re planting on well drained soil Whitetail Institute Extreme is a better choice. It suffers dry conditions much better in my experience and the deer really like it.

That said, the mix of three white clovers in Whitetail Institute clover is the best deer food I’ve ever planted and I’ll be planting another plot on my lease this fall if it ever rains again.

Comment

Originally posted by BCBHunter712 View Post
                  I am about to plant a new two acre plot in Northeast Texas. It is a clover/chicory perennial plot and soil tests were conducted earlier this year. We added the lime already and someone is coming to redisc the plot and smoothe it out this weekend. Unfortunately it is too dry to plant, and we can't get tractor work done later.

So my question is, we have purchased the required amount of fertilizer so do we put it out and disc it in this weekend or just spread it and drag it when we seed the plot?
                  According to professionals, fertilize is to be put out separately from seed. Personally I don't think it matters.

If you wont have the tractor later, plant the fertilizer now.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                    According to professionals, fertilize is to be put out separately from seed. Personally I don't think it matters.

If you wont have the tractor later, plant the fertilizer now.
                    I have always fertilized with seeding. Iv’e never seen any ill effects. The only time I’ve fertilized at a different time was top dressing a clover plot.

Comment

Working...
                    X