Axis with 3rd main beam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis with 3rd main beam

We have been seeing this axis for a while and never paid that much attention to him because on camera and with the naked eye it looked like his right side was broke off. I was hunting my big axis yesterday and this guy shows up early, after an hour or so I am bored and decide to pick up the binos and really check him out. First thing i noticed was his right side is not broke, it is just half the length of his left. He finally turns and looks directly at me, at first I think it is just a kicker " which he has" but then I can see the 3rd main beam complete with its own pedicle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3rd2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	25189664

Click image for larger version

Name:	3rd.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	25189663

Neato!

Comment

Buddy of mine killed, and I mounted it, an axis with three separate antlers. The right looked normal, the right was a weird flat club and the third was below the left and turned down and was broken off and only a few inches long. For sure one of a kind and a challenge for this taxidermist.

Comment

Cool. I love abnormalities like that.

Comment

If I wasn't hunting a specific axis I might would take him just for the cool looking euro.

Comment

Unicorn Axis

Comment

Cool looking Axis

Comment

that's pretty neat.. interested what it will look like later on down the road.

Comment

Working...
                X