Draw Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matthewkaminski View Post
    Just wondering if anyone knows if the Bighorn hunts were again cancelled? I see that the list does not include them under the guided hunt section. I have 2 preference points for it but for the last few years its been missing.
    Seems they do a population survey or something to that effect before they officially open it up in September. I also have 2 points I believe. Since there is usually only one or two permits available (if that) and EVERYONE wants it I won’t be holding my breath until I have about 50 preference points (that puts me around 80 yrs old. Prime shape for a bighorn hunt!).

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntingw View Post
      In the situation you described I’d shoot whatever the heck I legally could. Could care less about their wishes. The new draw system is ridiculous, if I draw ever again, lead and arrows will fly every chance I get regardless of their wishes. Texas public hunt system=joke, but I’ll put in I’m sure.
      What's so bad about the system? I think it is pretty well ran. Most white tail hunt they allow you to hunt exotics in most cases. The parks staff have always been helpful to me. I really enjoy the experience.

Comment

This might be a stupid question, but the youth hunts state that the youth hunter must have completed the Hunter Education Course, however, the minimum age to take the course is 9 and the minimum age listed to hunt is 8. So are 8 year old kids allowed to hunt without the certification?
        My son turns 8 in October and I would like to put in for some of the youth hunts

Comment

Originally posted by narco1 View Post
          This might be a stupid question, but the youth hunts state that the youth hunter must have completed the Hunter Education Course, however, the minimum age to take the course is 9 and the minimum age listed to hunt is 8. So are 8 year old kids allowed to hunt without the certification?
          My son turns 8 in October and I would like to put in for some of the youth hunts
          Where did you see that they required hunter ed for the youth? I just checked and didn't see that listed in any of the categories. In the past, I've taken both my boys on a BUNCH of these hunts and Hunter's Ed was not required because I was supervising them.
          Last edited by WinslowBoy; 07-08-2019, 12:31 PM.

Comment

May want to review the Youth hunting general requirements. Looks like the kid must be 8 at the TIME OF THE APPLICATION, not when the hunt occurs. Most youth applications are due before October.

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
              Where did you see that they required hunter ed for the youth? I just checked and didn't see that listed in any of the categories. In the past, I've taken both my boys on a BUNCH of these hunts and Hunter's Ed was not required because I was supervising them.
              That's what I thought, but on the TPWD Youth Draw Hunt and you go to the hunt brochure of a location it states the hunter must have the Hunters Ed

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
                May want to review the Youth hunting general requirements. Looks like the kid must be 8 at the TIME OF THE APPLICATION, not when the hunt occurs. Most youth applications are due before October.
                He could do exotic and hog

Comment

You can go on standbys...long as he is 8

Comment

Originally posted by MasterOfNothing View Post
                    I dont really worry about prefrence points. I just apply to the hunts i want and cross my fingers. I've been drawn for one hunt every year except for one.
                    same here ... been drawn for several with little to no pref. points. Then some years, nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by narco1 View Post
                      That's what I thought, but on the TPWD Youth Draw Hunt and you go to the hunt brochure of a location it states the hunter must have the Hunters Ed
                      I believe those hunt brochures you can download are for ALL hunts at the site and not specific to the youth hunts. Most brochures state the generic "if born after .........., you need hunter ed". In my experience from previous hunts, that is only for adult hunters hunting alone (born after '71) not youth being supervised by an adult. May want to contact specific sites if concerned. I just know that I've taken my kids on over 20 TPWD public youth hunts (at alot of different locations) and they have never been required to have hunter ed as long as they were under my supervision. Just posting what I've experienced.

Comment

Hope we get drawn for something. Got lucky and got to shoot a buck a couple of years ago at the chap, and that was the best hunt of my life. That being said, even anterless hunts where we didn’t shoot anything were a lot of fun. It’s always neat going somewhere new and hunting with my pops.

Comment

Originally posted by Ungawa View Post
                          What's so bad about the system? I think it is pretty well ran. Most white tail hunt they allow you to hunt exotics in most cases. The parks staff have always been helpful to me. I really enjoy the experience.
                          I think the system is pretty well ran too. Extremely simple compare to some of the western state systems. Don't understand where the negativity comes from. Cheap, Simple, Tons of Options, Tons of Opportunity, Pretty much low entries compare to the number of Texas Hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                            The new Granger deadline was June 1.
                            TPWD made it a separate draw like Georgetown.
                            your out because no buck last year! u had ur chance. lol

Comment

Donated $6 last night, need more meat for the freezer.

Comment

jack daniels made me drop $96 the other night. all i hope is that my boys get a hunt or two...ok, i want youkum dunes real bad too
                                Last edited by jshouse; 07-16-2019, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X