No announcement yet.

School Me on AR-15 Scopes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You've left out some info... how far you want to shoot it.. close quarters or 500 yards? My personal opinion is going with a thermal scope

Comment

Trijicon ACOG with a RMA on top. If they are under 300 the 4 power works. If you are riding around and spook some the RMA works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have several AR's. Different calibers, different uses. Match the scope to the intended use and roll. Just get the correct height rings to enable a good cheek weld.

Comment

Here you go. Primary Arms Platinum 1-8

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

My second choice would be one of the silver 3-18s or the newest mid level one that they just came out with.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

For quick shooting (pigs, coyotes, etc.) I like a fixed power scope. Last thing you need is to hop out, pull gun out and have the scope set on 12 power, and can't find the targets. 2x, 3x, etc. is the way to go.

I have a 3x ACOG and it's amazing. About to buy that Primary Arms 2.5 off Optics Planet for my truck gun.

Comment

I ran a 36x on a 24" no taper les baer when I wanted to win quarters from the bolt turners...you had to watch for double taps using the jewell in free recoil / benchrest mode. One of the most insane accurate autos & should have kept it.

You can get straight 45x leupys for the same if not less than the good 1x-8x variables. In general prices go up within the same family as power range grows but who cares. Get what you need.

I have uppers with red dots, open sights, 1-6 & 2-12...just depends on what application you are using the gun for. Quick detach mounts like the Larue allow you to do the same with one upper & work quite well. If you already have a decent hunting scope around, then consider something like the larue mounts and an Aim Point set up. With AR's the options are insane & no one correct answer.

Comment

Originally posted by lnester View Post
                  For quick shooting (pigs, coyotes, etc.) I like a fixed power scope. Last thing you need is to hop out, pull gun out and have the scope set on 12 power, and can't find the targets. 2x, 3x, etc. is the way to go.

I have a 3x ACOG and it's amazing. About to buy that Primary Arms 2.5 off Optics Planet for my truck gun.
                  But that's just learning your equipment and managing it.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Comment

Trijicon 1-8, clearest scope I have ever owned.

Comment

So far I have been pleased with Nikon and vortex for the money. Both are good scopes and the vortex warranty can not be beat.

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                        I just started using a regular old scope after I used the p223. Favorite scope was a vortex crossfire v Brite. Mainly because it was just a dot in the middle of the crosshair, having the option to turn it on helped out on black pigs at dark
                        “Favorite scope was a vortex crossfire V-Brite” ...I have this scope on both my AR15 and AR10...lots of pigs & yotes have met their end.

Comment

There are a lot of questions being asked and a lot of variables. Currently i'm running a primary arms raptor on my blackout. I have had no issues and it is a great scope. I think I got it black friday for less than $300.

With that said, for 200 more ($499) you can get a Wraith for day and night hunting. I'm about to upgrade and would suggest taking a look. Everything I have seen is it is the best bang for the buck in the night vision world with excellent day time results.

Comment

You didn't give a real dollar value you're looking to spend.
                            I'll say now don't go red dot/magnifier if you have an astigmatism in your eyes it'll be a waste of time.

To have something to utilize for range, pigs, an coyotes out to 300 you're going to want some magnification in my opinion.
                            When you say range use that could be 3-gun run and gun style or it could be benchrest which are wildly different animals requiring different optics.
                            Pigs and Yotes don't need "precision" IMO and from my experiences fast optics are better than a precise ones for that type of work.
                            Depending on your eyes you can shoot 300 yards easily with a 4x ACOG ($1K), they are fast optics made like tanks.
                            If you want more magnification and versatility you could run any of the LPVO scopes in the 1-6X/1-8X arena.
                            Just get make sure you get something with a BDC type reticle.
                            You can spend as much or as little as you'd like from $200-300 up $3K+ just depends how nice you want it to be.

A Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8X 30mm might be just what you're looking for.
                            You can get it with a free vortex mount right now for less than $350.00 if you know where to look (PM me if you don't)
                            Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 10-01-2019, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by megger89 View Post
                              I believe have Nikon P223 3x32 BDC scope (at work and can't look at my scope) on my Del-Ton and I wish I had have waited on buying instead of just jumping in a buying it. I have bad eyes, so I wish I would have waited and bought the P223 3-9x40mm BDC or the 4-12x40mm. I haven't even began to sight in my AR with it. I am located in Victoria if you ever find a P223 in 3-9x40 mm BDC or the 4-12x40mm and looking to trade for something smaller.

I can look at it tomorrow and get you more details on the specifications.
                              I highly second this, if you don't mind the scope taking up a good bit of real estate on you upper.

I have been using a Nikon "P-223" 4-12X40 on my Windham Weaponry AR-15 that is .556 for about 6 years. Its a tack driver, and the BDC lines up perfectly.

I also got a Nikon "P-308" 4-12X40 for my Palmetto State Armory AR-15 that is 6.5mm Grendel. This scopes BDC lines up perfectly with the 6.5G.

I don't use the tower adjustments on either scope, since the BDC are spot on. The only complaint is its a tight fit putting it into the Kolpin gun boot on my old trusty Yamaha Kodiak 400.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Wampuscat; 10-01-2019, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X