No announcement yet.

Feeding in for other people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know a guy from Mason that destroyed a $40k diesel pickup(10 yrs ago) filling feeder's on a ranch this side of Del Rio.He was paid $30k to take care of 25 feeder's year round.He lasted one year.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Feeding in for other people

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
      Honestly, unless it is a friend, I don't like filling other people's feeders.

We have spent a lot of time and effort changing our feeders, making ours easy to get to and to fill. I'm just not going to climb a ladder or fool with a winch anymore.

I’d like to edit my answer about to “I’m not filling your stuff unless I can reach it from the ground or my truck bed driving up next to it.” Thanks for the reminder Rod. [emoji23][emoji23]. I too have made it a point to go to stand and fills or truck bed fills.

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
        We pay our landowner $4/bag to fill our protein in the off season. Saves us from having to go out there and top off every 1.5 weeks and ensures that the deer keep getting fed protein. Money well spent for us with the savings of fuel and convenience.
        Man that would get expensive real quick on my place.

How big are your feeders?

Comment

I think when you’re on a lease you have to trust and help each other out. I’ve helped cleaned senderos and put feed for other hunters. In the return they’ve done it for me. It’s a give and take, if they ain’t helping you out in some way or don’t even bother asking if you need something charge em.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
            Man that would get expensive real quick on my place.

How big are your feeders?
            I thought the opposite.

If we feed 40 tons a year at $4 a a bag, that’s $6,400 total split between all lease members. I guess if you were paying it yourself, but split up, it would be way less than gas.

I spend $150-$200 in gas every trip just going to the lease and back. I like going to the lease, so I couldn’t do it, but I thought it was actually a decent deal as long as you’re all splitting it.

Comment

i suppose i would prefer my feeder be the only one that's full all the time! maybe hunting is just not their thing.

Comment

Nope and one reason why. Are you going to be in charge of changing feeder times? What happens when the battery dies? What happens when the feeder funnel gets clogged? What happens when coons hang on the spinner plate and bends it? Are they going to want you to "check that out while you're there"?

Comment

Call local feedstore and see if they offer this service then add 20%. Contract feed store to do it for you;-)

Comment

Enough that it'll hurt and they'll either fill their own feeders or you can pocket some real cash.

Comment

I haven't filled a feeder in years and quite frankly, I don't miss it. We have Lyssey Eckels deliver and fill the feeders with their hopper truck. It is super easy and costs $10 per feeder. Yes we pay delivery fee but again it is convenience. The idea of someone filling a feeder for another is not a new concept. It boils down to convenience for one equals money for another. Who cares what the reason for the convenience is-cost of gas? 6 hours away? Doesn't care to do it and would rather do something else? Its nice to know it is handled and I can go do other things at the ranch or at home or whatever. Does it make you less of a hunter? Less of a man?? Less of a lease member? The fact that they asked you to fill and are willing to pay is way different than someone that says they will show up for a work weekend then cheeses at the last minute and pulls a no show. I think some of the comments above are confusing the two scenarios.

Comment

First, let's hope that you get to know the guys this season and yall become friends to whatever extent because you share a lease together. This should be an easier question to answer after that happens. Three out of the 9 on our lease members feed year round. We drive out together and all work together to get everyone's feeder filled and to fix any issues that may arise. In the rare occasion one of us has to bail last minute, we pay for our 1/3 of fuel to whoever is driving as we would if we were together. Almost 800 mile round trip so that's a tank-full.

I have hunted on leases before with strangers as lease-mates and I don't like the anxiety it creates for me. Hunting is too much fun and I look forward to it too much all year to have "stranger-danger" issues mixed in....

Comment

Are these your friends?

Just ask them to cover all the corn (theirs and yours) and your lease BEER for the year and you will fill feeders.

Are these strangers?

Do all the math suggested above for fuel/time/corn cost and mark it up 20-40%

Comment

I kept the feeders filled on a pasture next to ours for a guy that used to manage our lease. Wasn't a big deal as I had more time on my hands then and he covered my feed. The only issue was his feeders weren't new and they constantly were breaking and I got blamed whether they were working when I filled them or not. Enough of that and I told him to have the feed store do it which he did but still had problems when he came to hunt. Feeders will quit working for a variety of reasons so as long as both parties understand this I think it can be a workable deal.

Comment

Lease is in Sabine county right before 6mile bridge, LM and myself live in Hockley TX and the members in question live in Houston, Baytown and Caldwell. 2 feeders each (55gal drums) acreage is just shy of 1500. I told him to just charge for price of corn and fuel and whatever else he decides is necessary. I personally wont be doing it as I hardly go out these days due to always being gone for work. Thanks for the input fellas

Comment

I was on a La Salle County lease several years back with 2 friends. I was retired and they both still worked, so I did most of the clearing shooting lanes, filling feeders, cutting firewood, etc. That was just fine with me as I got to hunt the place alone Monday thru Friday and didn't have to share with anyone, and I liked that.

Comment

Working...
                                X