Subsonic Failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subsonic Failure?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
    I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Shooting a 300blk pistol. 8.5" barrel. Hornady Sub-X 190 grain bullet. Sighted in at 100 yards and got ~1moa groups out of it. This shot was probably at 70 yards but you can see where the cross hairs were.

No blood that I could tell on the ground after the shot.

Looks like a high shoulder shot and not in the ear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like bad shot placement.

Also, how high are you at 70 yards if sighted in for 100?

Comment

Agreed. Poor shot placement. Looks you pulled the trigger on the up stoke. Either way he’s hit. Hopefully he’ll kick the bucket some where else.

Comment

You hit one with a weak *** bullet in a weak *** caliber really high. And the second one way back.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            You hit one with a weak *** bullet in a weak *** caliber really high. And the second one way back.
            300blk is not good on game especially subs. Tried it with thermal do not recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
              Looks like bad shot placement.

Also, how high are you at 70 yards if sighted in for 100?
              You will be low (not high) at 70 yards if sighted in at 100. Your impact will be below the crosshairs by about 1/3 of the scope height.

Missed the ear / spine low.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

poor shot with poor cartridge will give you the same results next time too,,,, why don't you run that info through a ballistics calculator,,, my guess is it awful close to a 45 acp,,, and at 70 yards it is a very poor choice indeed

Comment

STEADFAST .300 BLK 200gr REX Subsonic is constructed utilizing a Maker Bullets hollow point, expanding, solid copper projectile loaded in new brass casings.

Comment

The factory sub-x stuff is still subsonic out of a 16” barrel which is what I use on my 300blk.

Shooting it out of a 8.5” barrel, I’d imagine you are seeing 700-800fps.

Comment

If you’re dead on at 100 with subs then don’t shoot at 70 unless you know your drops in 10 yard increments at least, preferably 5. From 100 back to 70 is probably a 7” difference. Validate your velocity, mark your adjustments on your scope and head shots only with a good rest.
                      Last edited by kck; 11-14-2022, 07:31 AM.

Comment

subs are not hunting rounds IMO. I feel it was not a failure in bullet, but a bullet being asked to do a job that it isnt able to do. and I am not sure you didnt miss, with that pig being at 70 and sighted in at 100 drop can be significant. Just use supersonic ammow, still plenty quiet with a suppressor from a 300BO. I personally never understood the love for subs, I have a buddy who is all about them yet half the animals he shoots he doesnt find. In 300BO I will only shoot the barns bullet, they do an excellent job.
                        Last edited by Javelin; 11-14-2022, 07:37 AM.

Comment

I was just looking at a quite setup for pigs last week and did research on this. Sighted at 100 he would have been 3" high at 70 so I say he probably missed high. But as others have said, the trajectory is very similar to an arrow at sub sonic speeds and bullet expansion very likely won't happen. Once I did the research I scrapped this idea. I'm going with a Nomad L can on a DPMS LR308 with regular loads.

Comment

that particular set up is probably has about 200 ft. lbs. of energy at 70 yards....
                            I would not expect anything different than what happened! I also would not shoot pigs in the shoulder with that set up... I'm positive that bullet needs more velocity to perform as it should...

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                              subs are not hunting rounds IMO. I feel it was not a failure in bullet, but a bullet being asked to do a job that it isnt able to do. and I am not sure you didnt miss, with that pig being at 70 and sighted in at 100 drop can be significant. Just use supersonic ammow, still plenty quiet with a suppressor from a 300BO. I personally never understood the love for subs, I have a buddy who is all about them yet half the animals he shoots he doesnt find. In 300BO I will only shoot the barns bullet, they do an excellent job.
                              When I had my little bow hunting operation, I used sub sonic out of a .300 and a .44 when tracking wounded animals. Most of the shots were cl;ose in thick woods but I have killed every animal I ever shot. Nothing can live without lungs.

Last edited by Buff; 11-14-2022, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X