Neighbor is exploring leasing for a solar field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neighbor is exploring leasing for a solar field

Background - Our house sits on top of a hill and has some really nice views. If any of you have been to my place you know exactly what I'm talking about. We built the house with these in mind because my husband is disabled and during the very hot and very cold times of the year he cannot leave the house. The views make it seem less like a prison and we can see long distances. My neighbor's fence is 300 yards from our house. He has a 150 acre hay pasture.

We found out last night that the company that has been out there taking core samples is running tests to determine the feasibility of putting in a solar farm.

I'm concerned about my property losing value but I'm also concerned about the heat that will radiate from this project. I do not honestly think I could dissuade him from this because for the time being this is a lucrative land use. Is there anything that I could hope for that would stop this project? I thought these companies were looking for 300+ acre sites.

If the project moves forward to construction, how tall will these be? Perhaps I could plant a hedge or something to somewhat hide the field.

Offer to buy his place? Not much you can do if they are bent on doing that.
    Sorry. I am slowly being surrounded by a subdivision and do not like it at all.

Comment

The ones I saw outside Liberty hill were not tall. Maybe 7-8' ? But hard to tell.

Unless he signed something it may (and hopefully) take a long time to get going or fall through.

Comment

I think that planting along your fence line sounds like a good idea. The ones I’ve seen are about 8ft tall.

Comment

Better than wind turbines next door.

Comment

There is a big one proposed across the river from my neighborhood and people are all up in arms about it. Where it's going on the south part of our river bend, most places you can't see over the cliff on the other side of the river. Perhaps a few homes will have their view messed up but hey, that's somebody else's land and the chance we all take.
            Now what I do stand against is the idea that our county is proposing tax breaks for the project when it's only going to create 2 jobs, documented.

Comment

Hope for China to invade Taiwan sooner than later (its gonna happen regardless) and the price of cheap chinese slave labor made solar panels to inflate costs beyond feasability of project and return on investment.

Good luck MrsBritches.
              Last edited by Briar Friar; 11-11-2022, 11:09 AM. Reason: ChinaInvadeTaiwanSpake

Comment

There is generally a 2 year feasibility period where they do their due diligence. Generally for one reason or another they don't work out. They are not very tall from the ones that I have seen. I would agree that they are generally 7-8' tall. They pay big money and it is usually a 30 year term from what I have heard. It can be hard to pass up for some people.

Comment

They put up buildings too and structure to tie into the grid.

Comment

From what I've read they make a low humming noise....so they are not totally quiet.

Comment

Big money is right - $80-$150 / acre per year is 10+ times what a grazing lease brings in.

Comment

Is this company in talks with other property owners adjoining your neighbor?

150 acres seems small, unless they are chasing a project across multiple properties.

Comment

My Waller lease has a 3500 acre solar farm proposed next to it.

Comment

Seems like the folks in the county should have input on something like this. Maybe ping your County Commissioner to see if there are any restrictions.

Comment

Yikes,
                              It’s a racket Texas has been planning since 1978 according to the Texas comptroller and the tax rolls

Comment

Working...
                              X