Help me pick a new rifle - 6.5CM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have my choices narrowed down to a Bergara B14, Weatherby Vanguard or Browning X-Bolt.

These are all roughly the same price $800-1000 and have very good reviews across the board. They are all spec'd pretty much the same.

Any specific reason I should pick one over the others? The Browning stiff trigger might push that out of the running

Bergara would be my choice

Comment

Nothing wrong with Japanese guns but you are aware the Vangard is not a real Weatherby aren't you. Bergara would be my choice also.

Comment

Bergara would be my choice. Mainly because it’s a 700 clone action and aftermarket parts are everywhere. (Triggers, stocks, scope bases, etc)

X-bolts are pretty solid rifles also, and you can make the trigger decent with a lighter spring.

Never shot a vanguard, but have handled a few and wasn’t very impressed. Just from that, I’d go with one of the previous two.

Tikka is a solid option in that price range as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Raider4044; 09-19-2022, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
          Nothing wrong with Japanese guns but you are aware the Vangard is not a real Weatherby aren't you. Bergara would be my choice also.
          I believe the vanguards are made by HOWA. I have 2 vanguards and they both shoot better than the Mark V that I had.

Comment

The Browning trigger can be fixed with a different spring if it’s anything like the A Bolt.

Comment

The stock seems to be the place the manufactures want to cut corners now days.
              I just bought a Bergara in 6.5 PRC - based on the above mentioned (700 clone)

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                Yes, I'm aware of that.

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
                I believe the vanguards are made by HOWA. I have 2 vanguards and they both shoot better than the Mark V that I had.
                Howa - correct, but with different stock and some work on the barrel (I think). My Vanguard 22-250 shoots great as well. And that stock shape seems to fit me well too.

Still, I'm intrigued by the Bergara. When we were picking out my son's rifle (X Bolt), we were handling every gun at Cabela's and I noticed that the Bergara felt a lot nice than most of the other ones they handed to us. I haven't handled one since and haven't had luck finding one locally.

Something about the Tikka felt a bit off to me, but I haven't shot one.

Comment

None of those, consider Tikka. My 3 are all fantastic shooters with no trigger work required. I have 6 friends that are all glad I bought the first one 7 years ago. They all own at least one that shoot equally well.

Comment

Originally posted by Dbap View Post
                    None of those, consider Tikka. My 3 are all fantastic shooters with no trigger work required. I have 6 friends that are all glad I bought the first one 7 years ago. They all own at least one that shoot equally well.
                    Bought my first Tikka a couple of years ago. Wish I would.have paid more attention to them sooner. They have a very smooth action and shoot very well right out of the box. In fact, mine shot 1/2 MOA the first shot I took with it using factory ammunition. I reload Nd it does better than that now.
                    Out of the three mentioned by the OP, definitely Bergara if he is not going to throw Tikka in the mix to consider.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Same boat, I vote Tikka. I was surprised by how well my 6.5cm Tikka CTR shot with factory ammo. That thing just loves Hornady.

Comment

Tikka CTR.

Comment

Bergara or Tikka/Beretta. Both are great.

Comment

Can you top load any of the Tikkas or are they all mag fed?

Comment

Tikkas are great, but they are mag fed. I have no problem loading single shot through the ejection port when at the range.

Comment

Working...
                              X