What Can I Add To My Spin Feeders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Can I Add To My Spin Feeders?

I do not see many deer on my 30 acres. I run corn in 2 spin feeders. What is something I could add to the spin feeders that might help deer come in? A lot of hunting pressure all around me.

You could try more expensive feed mixes. I wouldn't suggest pelleted protein feed in a spin cast feeder, but I like to use a persimmon-flavored corn and soybean mix in our feeders when I can find it in stock.

Holding deer on your property takes cover as well as food. If you have woods/brush on the place that's thick enough it's hard for you to walk through, try putting a few cameras in there away from the feeders. You might be surprised just how many deer you already have.

Comment

I've also put split peas in with the corn and milo to spice things up, milo will also bring in turkey if you have any.

Comment

30 acres won't hold many deer no matter what you feed.

Comment

try Record Rack golden nuggets

Comment

I have 21.25 acres in north central Arkansas. There are thousands of acres of woods around me that gets light/no hunting pressure. They don't have to leave that if they don't want to. I plant good chow for them. It is usually peas, clover and something else. They love peas will nip them off when they are 3-4 inches tall. Then there is still clover. Last fall I added turnips and sugar beets to the peas and clover. I am always adding something different, but the base is always peas and clover. Last year, we didn't have any/ very few acorns. The food plots got hammered early and hard.

Comment

Pea Gravel.

I'm surprised it took this long!

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                You could try more expensive feed mixes. I wouldn't suggest pelleted protein feed in a spin cast feeder, but I like to use a persimmon-flavored corn and soybean mix in our feeders when I can find it in stock.

Holding deer on your property takes cover as well as food. If you have woods/brush on the place that's thick enough it's hard for you to walk through, try putting a few cameras in there away from the feeders. You might be surprised just how many deer you already have.
                It's very thick except for the pipeline and other trails we keep mowed to get around. Tornado wiped out the hardwood in 2016 and we had the pines thinned in 2017 as well as a guy came in and pulled out as much hardwood as he could get. It's thick in underbrush and briars. There's a creek that runs through the place. My biggest issue is I'm surrounded by deer leases and hunting pressure on neighboring properties.

Comment

I am in a similar situation, with a small parcel of land and high hunting pressure. I am planning on planting different mast trees than what the area holds in hopes they prefer those nuts/acorns over the native oaks in the area. There is no way I am holding these deer, but I am working to get them to want to feed on my place over the others...

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    30 acres won't hold many deer no matter what you feed.
                    Key word being “hold”. I have 80 out my back door and I don’t “hold” many deer. But I have enough does that come see me often enough that I get to kill a buck every other year here at least. Food plots and plenty of browse helps too.

Comment

Not to add to spin feeders, but they will step on an old lady's neck for alfalfa. It's a game changer.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                        It's very thick except for the pipeline and other trails we keep mowed to get around. Tornado wiped out the hardwood in 2016 and we had the pines thinned in 2017 as well as a guy came in and pulled out as much hardwood as he could get. It's thick in underbrush and briars. There's a creek that runs through the place. My biggest issue is I'm surrounded by deer leases and hunting pressure on neighboring properties.
                        Sounds like it could be too thick in places. Maybe thin out some underbrush. Doesn't have to be like a yard, just open enough the deer can move thru it.

Comment

Peanut mill pellets

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Keep the place quite

Comment

Not sure about what to add to the feed but I would put out a Big and J cube and see what shows up.

Comment

Working...
                              X