Buying high mileage diesel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying high mileage diesel?

Okay so I have a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 with 105k miles. Got the itch for a new truck. Found a 2017 Ford F-350 6.7 lariat with skirted flatbed for $48k. Truck has all the options I want and feels like a reasonable price, but has 125k miles on it. Is the mileage on that truck something I should be worried about?

I put about 20-25k miles on a vehicle a year give or take. Ideally would like to get 5-7 years out of new truck

Since it’s not new are you looking to get 3-5 yrs out of it?

Comment

No problem truck will last another 200 thousand miles .

Comment

The mileage isn’t that bad, the price is ridiculous but such is life these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
          Since it’s not new are you looking to get 3-5 yrs out of it?
          I’d like to get at least 5 out of it either way. I don’t mind driving a truck for a while as long as it’s what I want, but having trouble finding what I want in stock

Comment

Originally posted by St59 View Post
            Okay so I have a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 with 105k miles. Got the itch for a new truck. Found a 2017 Ford F-350 6.7 lariat with skirted flatbed for $48k. Truck has all the options I want and feels like a reasonable price, but has 125k miles on it. Is the mileage on that truck something I should be worried about?

I put about 20-25k miles on a vehicle a year give or take. Ideally would like to get 5-7 years out of new truck
            I have a 2012 6.7 with 390k and engine wise, the only major repairs were a new ac compressor at 325k and a new turbo at 389k. It still runs strong. I do have an oil leak I need to get fixed too. Mechanic thinks it the oil pan. I hope he's right.
            Now I have redone the entire front end too but that's to be expected with this many miles.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texashunter36 View Post
              The mileage isn’t that bad, the price is ridiculous but such is life these days.

Yup… sadly I can’t find a much better deal. Thought about going new, but at $90k for everything I want, I’m a little gunshy

Comment

On that diesel no prob. Friend of mine has a 14 with well over 300k on it.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                  I have a 2012 6.7 with 390k and engine wise, the only major repairs were a new ac compressor at 325k and a new turbo at 389k. It still runs strong. I do have an oil leak I need to get fixed too. Mechanic thinks it the oil pan. I hope he's right.
                  Now I have redone the entire front end too but that's to be expected with this many miles.

I had an oil leak in my 2011 F-350 and it was the upper oil seal. Cost me $3,200 to fix.

Comment

Are you needing a tow rig? I would have trouble getting rid of an 8yo 105k mile truck for a 5yo 125k mile truck with that price tag. Assuming your truck is paid for I would keep driving it unless you are making a living with the diesel. Lots of folks abuse trucks, especially big ones, you know your truck has been maintained. Current prices are nuts. But at the end of the day it’s your money and I’m sure the new truck will run another 200k with no issues… or it could lose its turbo and cost you 3k a month from now.

Comment

Originally posted by klepdo View Post
                      I had an oil leak in my 2011 F-350 and it was the upper oil seal. Cost me $3,200 to fix.

My mechanic thinks it's the lower. I hope he's right. I really don't want to pay for the upper repair. The lower is pretty reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
                        Are you needing a tow rig? I would have trouble getting rid of an 8yo 105k mile truck for a 5yo 125k mile truck with that price tag. Assuming your truck is paid for I would keep driving it unless you are making a living with the diesel. Lots of folks abuse trucks, especially big ones, you know your truck has been maintained. Current prices are nuts. But at the end of the day it’s your money and I’m sure the new truck will run another 200k with no issues… or it could lose its turbo and cost you 3k a month from now.
                        I don’t necessarily need a tow rig, I do pull a trailer at least once a week though. My truck now has issues with the electronics on the dash, that at this point is just annoying lol

Comment

Ive always been one who has to justify the expense to myself as in whether i work it enough to justify it but will always have to have a heavy truck on my place. BUT, I believe in your case the engine isnt hurt at all. So,if you can afford it both in price and possible repairs drive whatever the heck you want.

Comment

Originally posted by St59 View Post

It is your money. Some people need a new truck to be happy. If so go for it.

But, I can tell you right now anything you have to fix on that diesel is going to be at least twice as much as your current rig.

If the diesel makes you happy and you have the funds go for it! If you can live with out that leaves you a big budget to fix up and modify and drive the current rig.

Good luck.

Comment

OP, I would wait it out with current ride until this market cools a bit. It might be a year or 2, but the car lots are empty. Just not a good time to be buying, really anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X