Candle powered blind heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Candle powered blind heater

I've been researching heaters for my 8x8 blind that I built this year. I have a Mr. Heater Little Buddy but I'm still looking for something with cheaper fuel costs.

I ran across a U-toob video about a candle powered convection heater and it peaked my interest!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZnayOUQN28"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZnayOUQN28[/ame]

Here is a 2nd similar build: https://www.ecosnippets.com/alternat...g-electricity/

The Ecosnippets website claims it will produce decent heat for a 220 sf space. My blind is only 54 sf of interior space (376 cuft), but I don't have it insulated real well....yet. I also like the idea of using a fuel oil versus candles, but candles would be considerable cheaper. I also ran across another video that talked about using Crisco to make a candle burn for days - over a week straight!

So I'm looking for more ideas and wondering if anyone here has dabbled in or built something similar that might be able to shed some ideas on this type of heater. What worked or what didn't.

I'm not looking to build something completely "off-grid" as I do have 12V power in the blind. But I also would like to have heat that works and lasts without having to spend a fortune on propane tanks.

Man that's cool.

And it will set the mood just right.

Comment

Interesting...

Comment

Deisel Heaters. It has an inlet and an exhaust. Virtually silent. Think it can run all day on like .2 gallons of diesel. I am going to get one to put under the blind and run a pipe into the blind for heat.

Comment

That's neat. I like the idea.

Comment

It seems to me, that cost of candles, plus having charged batteries to run the fan would be no more than the propane canister for the Mr. Buddy. Propane canisters are approx. $5 and will run the Mr. Buddy for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
              It seems to me, that cost of candles, plus having charged batteries to run the fan would be no more than the propane canister for the Mr. Buddy. Propane canisters are approx. $5 and will run the Mr. Buddy for a long time.
              Both of my buddy heaters must be defective because they will run 5 to 6 hrs max on a 1lb bottle. To me that's not a long time. It is way more beneficial to buy the hose and run it on 20lb tank.

Comment

Great vid.

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
                  I haven’t seen them for under 6.99 this year and most are 8.99

Comment

Originally posted by Looney Tatonka View Post
                    Deisel Heaters. It has an inlet and an exhaust. Virtually silent. Think it can run all day on like .2 gallons of diesel. I am going to get one to put under the blind and run a pipe into the blind for heat.
                    I wouldn’t call them virtually silent. They do have an exhaust pipe and would need a battery. I have one on order for my camper and watched many vids and pretty sure they are louder than Buddy heaters. Dang sure keep you warm

Comment

pretty neat idea.

We have the mr. buddies as well and I dont either of them has been lit in 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                        ^^This, 8.99

Comment

Regular 5 gal propane tank and hose adapter and I am going on year 3 without a fill up.

Comment

Seems like unless you built one with just a few wicks that it would run you out of an 8x8 blind. My propane cylinders (2x1lb) in the Big Buddy last a season or close to it. Then again, we just run the thing to get it comfortable and then turn it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                              Here is where I buy mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X