OTC Elk Hunt Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexasTrophyBowhunter View Post
    I’ve always wanted to try Colorado otc. All I’ve heard lately is how crazy and crowded it’s got. I’m sure there are very good areas with really good potential though. I’d be pretty upset to hike in 10-12 miles to find more hunters. We went to Idaho and only saw one hunter while we were out hunting and he was set up on an hiking trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I drove in a LONG ways and ended up right next to someone who paid for a drop camp.

IMO - Drop camp by horse only and needs to be at least 5 miles from parking.

As mentioned I don't think you can even get 12 miles in anymore. I tried looking a few years back but roads come in from both or all sides of the mountains these days.

Comment

True about the roads, however some are closed seasonally and can be valuable to know when that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamerendino View Post
        I'm been several times otc and draws in Colorado, Montana, and Utah.

Spike camp with horses is the way to go.

Gear always seems to work itself out.

Whatever and wherever you decide. People will always say it, but I can't stress enough to be in shape. I'm talking either, running 6 miles a day or biking 10, with a pack on 5 days a week. The elevation will kick your *** coming from Texas. Last hunt where I took a nice bull, I did 640 miles in the last 3 months up to the hunt, and that was June, July, and August in houston. There's a reason every backcountry TV hunter looks like a bean pole.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
        I carry the family to the mountains late July or early august. Gets them out of the heat and me in some kind of mountain condition plus it is just fun.

Comment

Best advice I have is go up there before the season for a camping/hiking vacation once you decide where you are going to go. This will put you in a lot better odds for being in game and you will have some bearings on the area. Also give you a chance to talk to locals in the area that will help you get a plan.

Comment

Working...
          X