Paid Hunts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paid Hunts?

I didn't want to jump on deerslayer64d thread but I have a question about paid hunts because I'm thinking about doing one next year and never have. For example you see on a website a hunt is lets say $5,000. Do you pay that $5,000 if you kill or not? This would be a once in a life time hunt for me and I'm not a rich man. SO how do most of these hunts work and what questions do I need to ask? Thanks

All depends where you go, some are no kill no pay. some are no kill no pay but have a "daily rate" for lodging and stuff and, some are pay it all and if you don't harvest some will let you come back at a later date. Drawn blood and no recovery is usually a pay in full. Its all different. I would suggest finding a reputable person form here and you should not have any problem

Comment

I have been on many guided hunts and came home empty handed and it was full price plus a tip.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
        I didn't want to jump on deerslayer64d thread but I have a question about paid hunts because I'm thinking about doing one next year and never have. For example you see on a website a hunt is lets say $5,000. Do you pay that $5,000 if you kill or not? This would be a once in a life time hunt for me and I'm not a rich man. SO how do most of these hunts work and what questions do I need to ask? Thanks
        What animal are you wanting to hunt? That might help with answer.

Comment

Whatever the case may be, have the specifics, the "what ifs" and all other details in writing/email/text BEFORE you go on the hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
            What animal are you wanting to hunt? That might help with answer.
            Whitetail

Comment

Most hunts you see advertised now are pay by the inch with daily guide fees. Some places let you apply those toward your trophy fee, some don't. There can be a lot of variables from place to place.

I miss the days of paying a flat fee and seeing what you could kill. Those seem to be few and far between now.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                Whitetail
                Well I would suspect there is no guarantee of a kill. So my guess is yes its $5,000.00 kill or no kill. I would talk with the outfitter before you send a deposit.

Comment

Every ranch and outfitter can be different. That is why it needs to be laid out clearly so both parties understand what happens if.....

This includes scenarios surrounding wounded animals, missed opportunities, no opportunities, wrong animal killed (too big, too small, oops I shot the one on the left).

What all is included and what is specifically excluded or comes at an additional cost?

After selling hunts for going on 20 years, we have firmly concluded there is plenty of room for misinterpretation in almost every situation.

Comment

What you do is communicate with the persons running the hunt. They will all be similar but different. I’d get it in writing unless it was someone I know very well.

Comment

There are some very good places to hunt that only charge if you kill.. you just pay 100 a day unless you kill then you pay the remainder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by STGS View Post
                        Every ranch and outfitter can be different. That is why it needs to be laid out clearly so both parties understand what happens if.....

This includes scenarios surrounding wounded animals, missed opportunities, no opportunities, wrong animal killed (too big, too small, oops I shot the one on the left).

What all is included and what is specifically excluded or comes at an additional cost?

After selling hunts for going on 20 years, we have firmly concluded there is plenty of room for misinterpretation in almost every situation.
                        This
                        Also may as well include - What's not included that I should tip for?

Comment

There’s no one answer to your question. Doing your homework is critical. Most places you send a deposit to book your dates. You either pay in full upon arrival or pay a kill fee for what you shoot.

The better places will answer any questions and concerns you have long before you ever get there.

In my experience I prefer places with kill fees. You pay a certain amount to hunt which covered lodging, food, etc. then pay for the specific animal.

I’ve been places where you pay full price when you arrive and then I left empty handed. That’s a bad feeling. I’d rather be out $500 and go home empty than pay thousands.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            In my experience I prefer places with kill fees. You pay a certain amount to hunt which covered lodging, food, etc. then pay for the specific animal.
                            This is what I'm hoping for since I'm sure this will be my only chance to kill a "bigger" deer. I'm 64 and a 128 is the biggest I've killed and have always wanted one good one to mount.

Comment

Good luck to you 7sdad I hope you find the right place and get your deer , I am following this thread to hopefully learn as I’m still looking for a 150 for my son .

Comment

Working...
                              X