Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Horsemanship mentor Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horsemanship mentor Houston

I’ve dreamt of owning my own horse for 20+ years now and I’m finally able to make that a reality. My wife is on board and totally supportive of the idea. She’s also an animal lover and stay at home mom. We’ve got 3.5 acres that are now cleared and cleaned up. I’ll be finishing the fencing here in the next few weeks. We’ve accounted for the financial aspect and are blessed enough to be able to take on anything that entails. Currently we’re just looking to get our feet wet and learn all we can see where this takes us. However, horses to me currently are like electricity, I know just enough to get myself hurt or killed. I’m no stranger to hard work and have the passion and want to be a great horseman. All that to say I’m looking for someone in the NE houston/Liberty county or surrounding area to help advise, school, train and guide us as we start this new undertaking. Any recommendations or advice is appreciated. God bless.

I haven’t lived near that area in a good while, so I’m no help with the who aspect, but I will make a suggestion, for whatever it is worth. Find a good trainer/instructor and develop a relationship with them. Take lessons if you don’t have prior riding experience. Go somewhere they will teach you basic horse care, not just hand you a presaddled horse for you to hop on. When you start looking for a horse, take your instructor with you. They should know what to look for and what to avoid. Don’t pick a horse for its color, and don’t discount one for color, either. The flashy barrel/jumper/reiner/whatever may look fun, but you want something you’ll be safe on, not something that will get you killed, lol. Expect to pay accordingly.

Comment

I don’t know if this is a good place or not, I’ve just seen it when I drive by.

Cypress Trails Ranch LLC | Darolyn Butler Cypress Trails offers a variety of trail and lunch rides. Beginners are welcome, we ride on forest trails on gentle horses.

Do you want to cowboy stuff or do you want to do more formal riding? That will determine your next steps IMO.

Comment

For starters we’re just wanting to focus on the basics and trail riding. No English or dressage anything. We’ve taken my oldest son to cypress trails, it’s ok. We both rode and it was a good experience. But it was just the horses just knowing the drill and meandering, maybe private lessons would be different.

Comment

you got a cowboy church around you?
          if you start attending one, it is a given you will be friends with whoever the right guys are pretty quick and build not only the love of horsemanship but also those new friends you will make

Comment

Stormy Carpenter is a long time member on here. She would be who I would reach out to. She is legit

Comment

Ifn I was closer I'd help you out. Would be hard from N DFW.

Comment

What area of Houston?

A friend of mine has been a horse trainer for many many years and runs a barn in Waller. She is extremely knowledgeable and very likable.
                Last edited by Dusty Britches; 11-09-2022, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback.

BlessedVeteran0305 very true, I appreciate the thought though.

Dusty Britches North east of Houston. Waller is a pretty good drive.

Comment

A few phrases in horse ads to stay away from.
                    “Experienced riders” reference means that riding that horse is going to look like Brandon A’s avatar.
                    “Saddle and tack included” means that one is so **** crazy, the seller is getting out of the horse business all together.

Comment

Working...
                    X