Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powderhorn Feb 7-10

Any body else get drawn?

Sambar deer!!! I can't wait after seeing some old threads in here with success.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

congrats. we will be there dec 5-8

Comment

Yall knock 'em dead! Awesome place. Post a live hunt here. I'll be following for sure.
      Attached Files

Comment

Awesome, congrats!

Comment

So yall are the reason I didn't get drawn!

J/K, and hoping the best to all!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
            So yall are the reason I didn't get drawn!

J/K, and hoping the best to all!
            We were drawn last year for GDE Powderhorn . They told us Sambar didn't go after corn. Found many Sambar eating corn at box blind after walking all over our unit. I ended up taking a nice bull over corn. We only seen one whitetail doe and 10 point buck. Don't know if the Sambar we're keeping deer off the corn.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Comment

Yah, I was more interested in the sambar my self. Deer would only be second.

Comment

Congratulations!!! I’ll probably be sick from work, and doing a standby

Comment

Lucky you! Good luck!

Comment

Not drawn but best of luck to ya.

I'm interested to follow this place as I hear rumblings of the state wanting to get rid of the exotics and restore it to the natural wildlife.

I hope that's not the case and that they manage it to not only keep exotics but keep the numbers up.

It's thier new cash cow when it comes to apps.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep. They are wanting to kill and trap off all the sambar and raise 125 inch whitetails. There are no sambar left so no use anyone going for the standby drawing.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                        Not drawn but best of luck to ya.

I'm interested to follow this place as I hear rumblings of the state wanting to get rid of the exotics and restore it to the natural wildlife.

I hope that's not the case and that they manage it to not only keep exotics but keep the numbers up.

It's thier new cash cow when it comes to apps.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
                        The biologists told us 2 years ago that they were trying to get rid of the Sambar. Trapped and sold about 600 that year. Said the Sambar eat aquatic vegetation and there is a particular kind of native vegetation that only exists in 2 counties in Texas and the Sambar are killing it.
                        When the Sambar are killed at these hunts, they test for CWD and take some antler measurements, but for the most part, just want them gone. Like hogs... kill 'em all...

It's a shame, too. Seems like such a waste.

Comment

Originally posted by gwellstx View Post
                          The biologists told us 2 years ago that they were trying to get rid of the Sambar. Trapped and sold about 600 that year. Said the Sambar eat aquatic vegetation and there is a particular kind of native vegetation that only exists in 2 counties in Texas and the Sambar are killing it.
                          When the Sambar are killed at these hunts, they test for CWD and take some antler measurements, but for the most part, just want them gone. Like hogs... kill 'em all...

not doubting any of this because it gets brought up all the time but if they want them gone than why not offer more permits/hunt dates or allow more than 1 for those that do draw?

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                            not doubting any of this because it gets brought up all the time but if they want them gone than why not offer more permits/hunt dates or allow more than 1 for those that do draw?
                            I agree 100%. To be clear, my "like hogs. Kill 'em all..." quote was the biologist's statement at the powderhorn.
                            I think they could/should exploit this rare critter for all its worth.

Comment

Originally posted by gwellstx View Post

I've heard the same thing. If that dang weed only grows in two counties and a few deer on one little ranch are killing it then it's not meant for this world.

I say keep the deer and let the weed go the way of Darwin.

And I'm a coastal fisherman so I have a little skin in the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X