No announcement yet.

Meat Goats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of fence are you putting them in?
    Another thing to consider, other than keeping them in and predators out, is that if you use field fence with 6x6 or 6x8 mesh they will get their heads stuck if they have horns. They're kind of like a fish hook, head goes in fine, but gets hung up coming out. You can have a pasture full of grass and brush, but that little twig on the other side of the fence is the one they want.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

I will also add they will become wild like deer if you cant be around them almost daily.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
        I will also add they will become wild like deer if you cant be around them almost daily.
        I wish mine would have been wild back when I had 25-50 of em. Probably would have beat tripping over them every time you go through the pasture.[emoji16]
        That brings up another point though. As mentioned above, they will get worms, lice, need hooves trimmed, and several other sicknesses will need to be taken care of. You'll need a good catch pen and working area.
        If you're going to have bucks and does, the young males will need to be castrated, or removed from the rest of the herd around 3-5 months old so they're not inbreeding.
        It really is a lot of work, even if you're not trying to raise quality goats for sale or show.

Last edited by Muskles; 12-18-2018, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
          I wish mine would have been wild back when I had 25-50 of em. Probably would have beat tripping over them every time you go through the pasture.[emoji16]
          That brings up another point though. As mentioned above, they will get worms, lice, need hooves trimmed, and several other sicknesses will need to be taken care of. You'll need a good catch pen and working area.

LOL until you want to get rid of the dang things.

Comment

I'm beginning to think the TBH community does not like goats. I feel like we are close to a goat ban.

Comment

I have a a hand full on 11 ac. with not so good fences and have not had any get out in 3 years.
              And they do a good job clearing land. If your place has good fences and you dont mind buying cheap goats I think you have a good idea.

Comment

As a follow up to all these questions, does anyone know of a place that would let me shoot goats with a rocket launcher?

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                  I have a a hand full on 11 ac. with not so good fences and have not had any get out in 3 years.
                  And they do a good job clearing land. If your place has good fences and you dont mind buying cheap goats I think you have a good idea.
                  You must have the unicorn breed.[emoji23]

Comment

Yupppp

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                    As a follow up to all these questions, does anyone know of a place that would let me shoot goats with a rocket launcher?
                    I want to have a beer with this guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                      What kind of fence are you putting them in?
                      Another thing to consider, other than keeping them in and predators out, is that if you use field fence with 6x6 or 6x8 mesh they will get their heads stuck if they have horns. They're kind of like a fish hook, head goes in fine, but gets hung up coming out. You can have a pasture full of grass and brush, but that little twig on the other side of the fence is the one they want.

Very true right here.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                        Goats are easy to raise and they eat anything

BULL****!!!!!

Goats are the biggest pain in the *** farm animals I have ever dealt with

They get out better than Houdini
                        They get parasites (worms) at the drop of a hat
                        Unless you live on rock you have to trim their feet
                        They are the perfect size for bobcats and coyotes to kill them off in a matter of weeks if you don't monitor them closely

You do what you want to but I would bet you are sick of them before a week passes
                        And.... they taste like butt

Comment

BULL****!!!!!

They are the perfect size for bobcats and coyotes to kill them off in a matter of weeks if you don't monitor them closely

You do what you want to but I would bet you are sick of them before a week passes

Words of wisdom right there. This man knows what he's talking about.

Comment

Met a cowboy from West Texas that would’ve watched them for you for the low price of a pair of rubber boots [emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

BULL****!!!!!

I always tell anybody that asks me about goats: There's nothing cuter than a baby goat and there's nothing dumber than a grown one!

Comment

I wouldn't give you $.25 a head for goats, good luck finding anything for less than $75.00 per head. That's a lot of input for a critter actively walking around hunting a place to die!

Comment

Working...
                                X