Have you ever noticed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
    My uncle is missing his big toe from a rig accident. Can't wear flip flops.
    I probably laughed more than I should have.

Originally posted by Walding1989 View Post
    My daughter was born missing her left hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She is a cutie pie!

Comment

Originally posted by highspeed View Post
      My uncle worked in a butcher shop and meat slicer got his middle finger. My preacher got 3 of his fingers caught in a meat grinder as kiddo. Not gone but misshapen.
      My uncle backed into a meat grinder one time. He was ok...but got a little behind in his work.

Comment

My first job was in a manual machine shop. All of the old timers were missing at least a half a finger. Some multiple. Lots of accidents at that place.

Comment

Have you ever noticed?

Grandpa lost the tip of his index finger slinging chains on a drilling rig and my brother lost his (well, sort of) playing with rocks as a child. They were “play” mining for gold breaking small rocks with big rocks when the other kid dropped one on his hand. Luckily it separated at the joint cleanly and was able to be reattached. He now has a cool trick where he can bend the index finger beyond 90 degrees without touching it.

Comment

Good friend of mine is missing first joint of index and ring finger on same hand. One from a trailer hitch, the other from a horse setting back on him while tying it up. (Rope got him). He says when he cut it off he called his wife.
            Him: hey babe, just cut my finger off
            Her: your whole finger?
            Him: nah the one next to it. [emoji23]

Had a boss missing a hand, he would always tell us "if you need a hand call me, if you need two we'll have to find somebody."

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
              Router table, cutting door parts.

Negligence/complacency on my part. Immediate reminder to keep your mind on the task at hand.
              I've been around machinery, saws, torches, chippers, chain saws, and dangerous equipment my whole life....worked with it since I was 11 years old.

The table saw, and router, are the ones that get my full, and un-divided, attention at ALL TIMES. I try not to use a table saw if I can do it another way, and I NEVER get behind the material.

My dad ran a truck equipment manufacturing facility for 40+ years (press brakes, shears, etc), and had his first REAL accident last year at home with a router. Mom called me from the hospital (where he was fine and getting stiched up), and I went over to his house and followed the blood trail and figured out exactly what had happened.
              Last edited by Dale Moser; 01-07-2021, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Strangely enough, I’ve met two folks that have lost most of their ring finger on their left hand while working in the oilfield.

Neither of them lost them on a rig either, both happened during logging accidents. Them Canadians are something else.

Sure do miss old Robby 9-1/2 fingers, didn’t really ever get to know the other fella.

Comment

Yep. Lotta ropers lose a finger eventually. I work with a guy that got his ring finger caught in a drill rig cable. Ripped it off and brought the tendon/nerve/something out from his elbow down, out through his finger. Saw the photo of it.

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                    Good friend of mine is missing first joint of index and ring finger on same hand. One from a trailer hitch, the other from a horse setting back on him while tying it up. (Rope got him). He says when he cut it off he called his wife.
                    Him: hey babe, just cut my finger off
                    Her: your whole finger?
                    Him: nah the one next to it. [emoji23]

Had a boss missing a hand, he would always tell us "if you need a hand call me, if you need two we'll have to find somebody."

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

My dad had a guy retire, with all of his fingers, from his company who ran a 30 ton press brake for 20 years.

He bought a lake house and fished all the time. Caught a big ol blue cat and had it tied off to his dock. He went to grab the line to show it to his grandkids, fish took off and caught his finger between the line and dock piling and cut it right off. Dad said he could hardly tell the story he was laughing so hard.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                      Yep. Lotta ropers lose a finger eventually. I work with a guy that got his ring finger caught in a drill rig cable. Ripped it off and brought the tendon/nerve/something out from his elbow down, out through his finger. Saw the photo of it.

That's sick. And not in a cool kind of way. My buddy that I worked with was drunk when that fence took his finger. One of his buddies was with him when it happened. He said he looked back and he was getting his finger back off the fence. The tendon was wrapped around the chain link that caught it.....disgusting.

Comment

What's even crazier is it really don't take a lot to cut or break a person's finger off. My grandpa said a guy he knew when he was in Vietnam caught a ring on his finger on a bolt and it popped his finger clear off. Catch that sucker just right and it's coming off.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                          What's even crazier is it really don't take a lot to cut or break a person's finger off. My grandpa said a guy he knew when he was in Vietnam caught a ring on his finger on a bolt and it popped his finger clear off. Catch that sucker just right and it's coming off.
                          My wife coached middle school basketball/volleyball with a lady who lost hers jumping up to touch a line on the wall while doing drills. There was a nail sticking out of the gym wall that caught her wedding ring, and that was that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            My wife coached middle school basketball/volleyball with a lady who lost hers jumping up to touch a line on the wall while doing drills. There was a nail sticking out of the gym wall that caught her wedding ring, and that was that.
                            I can't imagine jumping off of something or anything like that and losing a digit. Your feet hit the ground but a piece of you stays where you used to be. That'd make ya do a double take when you realized where it was.

You were talking about working around lathes and table saws and whatnot. I used to work in construction and surprisingly I only knew a few people missing digits. My boss at the time had just hired me on after his cousin quit and started working for another construction company. He was cutting a piece of plywood on a table saw a week after he got that other job. Ran it through and looked down and three fingers were laying on the table. Never felt a thing until afterwards. There's another story involving the same guy and plywood but that was another appendage below the belt. He didn't lose it but he got hurt real bad. But that's a story for another time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              I've been around machinery, saws, torches, chippers, chain saws, and dangerous equipment my whole life....worked with it since I was 11 years old.

The table saw, and router, are the ones that get my full, and un-divided, attention at ALL TIMES. I try not to use a table saw if I can do it another way, and I NEVER get behind the material.

My dad ran a truck equipment manufacturing facility for 40+ years (press brakes, shears, etc), and had his first REAL accident last year at home with a router. Mom called me from the hospital (where he was fine and getting stiched up), and I went over to his house and followed the blood trail and figured out exactly what had happened.
                              100% this. That and meat slicers, anything where your hands move towards the danger is a problem waiting to happen.

Comment

I’m missing part of one of my fingers lol

Comment

Working...
                                X