What a Weekend; Bad & Good; Couple of Things Died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a Weekend; Bad & Good; Couple of Things Died

Wow, what a weekend. A lot of downs and an up.

The plan was to go into work Friday morning and work until about 11. Then come home, load up and get on the road by 1 to make the evening hunt around 430. My wife took the whole day off. So, about a half a mile away from home I got in a wreck. A car didn't make the first turn of a double curve and hit me in the front right tire. Hard. I guess it isn't confirmed yet but my truck is the first thing that died this weekend as I don't see any way it isn't totaled. I'll post pics below. So needless to say by the time I dealt with the accident (including having to transfer tons of hunting gear to my mom's car), went to the doctor to make sure my arm wasn't broken, got a rental truck and did everything else it was 4:00 by the time we left. Not a good start but off we went, bent but not broken. No way I was bow hunting with my arm like it was so rifle hunting it is.

Saturday morning I had good activity but nothing mature. A little after 8 I heard a ba boom from my wife's direction. She said she shot at a good 10 point but couldn't find blood. I headed that direction and confirmed no blood. But my ears told me it was a hit. So, we called in a friend with dogs and searched....and searched and came up with nothing. Our conclusion was she missed and I'm not sure what she hit that I heard. Only thing I can think of is from an elevated stand, hitting the ground sounded like a hit. Or, I need to get my ears checked lol.

So with most of the day spent we headed back to camp and packed up again for the evening hunt. My wife shot a couple of times before we left and hit the bullseye. Buck fever got her. It was a slow evening until right before dark. I saw a deer coming and got my binoculars on him. Shooter, so I got my gun up and couldn't find him in my scope. Got the binoculars again and found him. He was in the brush on the side of the road looking at the blind. He was facing me (slightly quartering) and I was running out of light. I had a solid rest and put the crosshairs where the neck meets the shoulder. I let the 7 mag rip and couldn't see anything. I was fully expecting to see the deer piled up where I shot it when I walked up. Nothing. No deer, no blood, nothing and now it was DARK. I called my wife and she said she heard a hit. Great, repeat of the morning!! I'm not sure how much more I can take, lol. My wife came to help me look and we started searching trails. I went down the most logical trail and luckily there he was about 20 yards away. Death number 2 for the weekend. I'll post pics below.

This ended up being my second biggest buck. AND it was the buck my wife shot at that morning so we confirmed that she missed and there wasn't an injured buck out there. One other thing, let me tell you caping, gutting, etc a deer with 1 arm is no fun. My wife helped a little but she was working on dinner so she wasn't able to help too much. Anyway I got it done. Thanks for taking the ride.

Truck pics

[ATTACH]1032248[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]1032249[/ATTACH]

Comment

Pics of deer

I scored him at 133.

[ATTACH]1032257[/ATTACH]
      [ATTACH]1032258[/ATTACH]
      [ATTACH]1032259[/ATTACH]

Comment

Wow...quite the weekend. Glad you weren’t hurt too bad. Congrats on the blood spill. Great deer!

Comment

Great redemption buck. Sounds like you needed a kill pretty bad after the terrible start. Glad you are ok.

Comment

sorry bout the truck, congrats on the buck.

we call that an eventful weekend. glad your ok

Comment

Dang you got lucky on that wreck. Glad it wasn't worse. Let the truck shopping begin.

Comment

Wow!!
                God has His Hands on you!!

Comment

Ya trucks gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good for you!! Congrats on not letting the little things get you down!! Awesome Buck

Comment

Originally posted by Buck_jane View Post
                      Dang you got lucky on that wreck. Glad it wasn't worse. Let the truck shopping begin.
                      Yeah, definitely lucky on my end and lucky I didn't have any of my kids with me. It helped I was going 20 mph due to the curve and wet conditions. Wish she would have but glad to be ok.

Comment

Glad you are okay and congrats on a nice deer.

Comment

Wow, crazy weekend. Congrats on the buck!

Comment

That's a nice looking buck.

Hope your arm gets better soon!

Comment

Glad that you are ok, great buck

Comment

Working...
                              X