Help me pick a youth Chaparral compartment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me pick a youth Chaparral compartment

So in the morning we are setting out on a youth doe/spike and javelina hunt. Last year both kids took their javelina's in compartment 13. So I like that one and I know it. I do know they shoot maybe a warthog a year out of there. If we get to choose what are your top three compartments?

upload photo albums

Comment

I've only been once, and hunted unit 13. Made 3 set ups, and one was primo with lots of activity.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

In all seriousness. I liked I always liked 14-15. And 3-4. Just throw corn a long ways down sendero and once you see where they enter move you setup. Also gives the kid a chance to get out and stalk up on Javis

Comment

I don’t think you get to choose. Took my son a number of years on that hunt. Once drawn, the rest standby We were never turned away, and didn’t get any preference between being drawn or standby. Perhaps with Covid it’s different.

I only remember by pasture name, not numbers. Out best were south jay and east blocker. Looks like numbers 20, 21, 22. and 28. We had a miserable hunt in Ano one Thanksgiving (no deer or jack over 3 days. Like nothing touched the corn

Some of the paperwork took a while to process for all the standbys.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've hunted South Jay twice. Both times saw deer and javis. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

The one that I like and my kids have done well in is

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                The one that I like and my kids have done well in is
                I see how you are

Comment

Just sit in the stands that they already have set up. Put out lots of corn. They usually corn around the stands before the youth hunts. Watch for those big south Texas rattlesnakes. Good luck. They will suggest the best units not sure when your pick is.

Comment

I would also say evening 1 use their elevated stand. I’d corn out as far as I could see though. Find out where the deer cross that sendero. Move a pop-up close to there and brush in- take good shooting pod

Comment

I’ve always just set in their youth blinds and out of the 15 or so times I been out there only once or twice did I not come back with a deer or my cousin come back with a deer. And those time we weren’t successful was when they had plentiful amounts of rain and everything was green as can be and on top of that is was reaching 90 degrees.

Comment

I don’t like their blinds because they are tall for kids and hard to get comfortable. I always hunted them first day then move to pop up

Comment

Working...
                        X