No announcement yet.

Shooting Rifle Iron Sights Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My opinion is know your ballistics and set the irons at 25 yards to whatever it shows for that range for whatever MPBR you choose.

I’m a believer in ghost sights in the rear and a red fiber front for old codgers.

I also believer in getting a good youngin with great eyes and good technique to sight the rifle in with the target line right on top of the dot so all you really have to do is place the dot. This system works as good or better than any Aimpoint on the market

Since I still still do my own sighting I use a blade front.
    Last edited by Johnny44; 11-08-2022, 01:10 PM.

Comment

I don’t use green or orange fiber because I find it blends in better and leaves room for mistakes in fresh spring growth and fall leaves.

The red stands out better even if looking at red leaves.

Comment

I find it more accurate to take a target with those 1” gridlines and put a sharpie dot where they intersect. Either yourself or the young shooter let the one line be center the blade or dot sight and put the dot on top of the front blade with the horizontal line running across the top of the blade. It leaves less room for sighting error. Then I measure accurately the impact point as opposed to the sharpie mark. So if my MPBR for the load says it needs to be 1/4” high at 25, then so be it.

I haven’t seen anything faster than a fiber front and ghost rear either.
        Last edited by Johnny44; 11-08-2022, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
          Typically it will have nothing to do with head positioning as the sights are aligned. Things like one side of the front sight catching light, your vision, or a rifle where the sights aren’t positioned right or a “cant” are the problem.

For the folk saying “just adjust the sights”, you have never seen a rifle where this is a real problem, the sights way off to one side look like crap.

If using peeps or ghost rings and you make a conscious decision to center the sights then you are using them wrong.

I’ve had several successive rifles where mostly the front sight was not center bore or canted. It sucks !
          How are you supposed to shot peep sights if you are not supposed to center the front sight bead in the rear "ring?"

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
            Thanks.

Even my turkey shotgun has a low power scope!

Would love to see the Gun, sights and shooting style of “Jchunter”.
            Ill have to grab some pictures when I go home as I am mid-hitch currently

Comment

I bought a williams receiver sight for my 336 and couldn't get it to hit the paper. But killing with the buckhorn.

Comment

Some folks just born cross eyed. Maybe the gun maker was cross eyed?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                  I bought a williams receiver sight for my 336 and couldn't get it to hit the paper. But killing with the buckhorn.
                  move in close and see whats going on with impact point,,, then adjust sights to center then back up about 20-25 yards at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                    I had to replace the front sight with a taller version.

Comment

The sights on my rifle did not have any horizontal adjustment. I just accounted for this in my shot placement. This was the whitetail I got with it. My first one ever.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jchunter View Post
                        How are you supposed to shot peep sights if you are not supposed to center the front sight bead in the rear "ring?"
                        I saw this and have my own input. If you are concentrating on centering the front sight in the rear, you will be off. The eye centers it naturally and you are only supposed to focus on the front.

Comment

Center the rear sight back up with the barrel. Bump the front sight away from where you want the bullet to hit. A little on the front sight moves the bullet a lot
                          Last edited by Buff; 12-03-2022, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo View Post
                            I saw this and have my own input. If you are concentrating on centering the front sight in the rear, you will be off. The eye centers it naturally and you are only supposed to focus on the front.
                            This is how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Jchunter View Post
                              The sights on my rifle did not have any horizontal adjustment. I just accounted for this in my shot placement. This was the whitetail I got with it. My first one ever.
                              That old Remington came with front and rear horizontal adjustments

Comment

Working...
                              X