No announcement yet.

Bahia Grande

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anyone else getting excited about the first hunt in decades in the Bahia Grande Unit? I broke a rib or two about a month ago but that's not stopping me from this incredible opportunity.
    About driving in -- it is my understanding we can drive in and leave our trucks anywhere along the main road, and we cannot drive off the main road either. It is almost nine miles from the entrance on Hwy 48 to the turnaround near Rte 100, and in most places there is land extending at least a half mile perpendicular to the road in one direction or the other, sometimes more and sometimes both, so there is A LOT of virgin huntable territory. The funny thing is that people sometimes see nilgai right behind HEB in town, so in theory you could just get a donut & coffee in the morning and walk behind the supermarket and start your stalk into the Unit, except that the strip of land between town and the Reserve is private property.

Comment

OK folks, now that this is in just a couple of weeks, has anyone given any serious thought to how we are supposed to hunt the Bahia Grande Unit? There is almost no cover anywhere. Even where there seems to some taller brush, it is extremely sparse. So getting down from the stand without being seen is going to be tough. I'm beginning to wonder if it even makes sense to set up the tripod stand. Maybe stay low and play hide-and-stalk on the ground the whole time makes more sense? Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by ppeeks59 View Post
        OK folks, now that this is in just a couple of weeks, has anyone given any serious thought to how we are supposed to hunt the Bahia Grande Unit? There is almost no cover anywhere. Even where there seems to some taller brush, it is extremely sparse. So getting down from the stand without being seen is going to be tough. I'm beginning to wonder if it even makes sense to set up the tripod stand. Maybe stay low and play hide-and-stalk on the ground the whole time makes more sense? Any thoughts?
        One of the ideas I've been toying with is a turkey blind in/around the brush if there are any dung piles around. I drew for the muzzle loader weekend, so it is a bit more viable than for the bow hunters before me. Otherwise, I've had the same debate that hide-and-stalk might be a good plan. I would worry about the snakes down there if the weather gets warm enough.

Comment

I would suggest hunting in pairs. The Mogote pasture of the Kennedy is almost all dunes and sparse brush. When I hunted it, we would spot the herds from the top of a dune. One person would stay and communicate with the other(s) via radios. We would use the dunes as cover and just keep them between us and the nilgai even if that meant losing the spotter for a short time. With few exceptions, it worked very well.

Comment

Team idea sounds like a good one. I’m bringing a ghost blind for ground hunting. Anyone know how orientation works? Still the morning before the hunt or have they changed that? I’m on the muzzleloader hunt also.
            Last edited by J-Bob; 01-19-2021, 07:39 AM. Reason: Spellcheck

Comment

Anybody hunting 2-19 to 2-21 who want to team hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by J-Bob View Post
                Anyone know how orientation works? Still the morning before the hunt or have they changed that? I’m on the muzzleloader hunt also.
                I've heard that it is online now due to Covid. They'll send a link in a follow up email closer to the actual hunt date. The email has been coming in the week before the weekend you are hunting (around that Tuesday or something). Other guys can chime in and tell me if they got theirs sooner or later.

Comment

Is anyone here on the archery hunt Feb 12-14? I'll be there! I'm thinking of going the popup/brush blind option. I agree that a Tripod isn't really an option here.

Comment

Originally posted by AHunter View Post
                    I've heard that it is online now due to Covid. They'll send a link in a follow up email closer to the actual hunt date. The email has been coming in the week before the weekend you are hunting (around that Tuesday or something). Other guys can chime in and tell me if they got theirs sooner or later.
                    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                      Anybody hunting 2-19 to 2-21 who want to team hunt?
                      I'm on this hunt also and will be hunting with a buddy already or I would have taken you up on your offer. I PM'd you my # in case you need a hand with anything while we are down there. Looking forward to the hunt!

Comment

Thanks for all the thoughts and comments. I'm on the first hunt, Feb 5-7 archery. Those of us on that one won't have the benefit of any news, info, etc. from any prior hunts. I'm definitely interested in teaming up with another hunter so if anyone is interested in hanging 'round at least some of the time with this old guy, PM me.
                        I did start to walk into the unit when I had to take a day off from that brutally hot November archery hunt in the main part of the reserve. While there isn't much cover vegetation, there's enough if you keep low to the ground. And there are draws and sloughs too, so there is some elevation change, but not much. The road is built up on a berm -- otherwise it would flood at high tide like the whole rest of the area. And did someone say snakes? If you do not wear snake gaiters, you are simply asking for trouble IMHO. A local guy I met in November told of stepping on a rattler that he swears was completely invisible in the sand, while hiking in the BG unit. It struck his gaiters twice -- no harm no foul -- but he said he was really shaken up by the incident.

Comment

And the USFWS Rangers SPECIFICALLY WARN US to NOT SHOOT SNAKES as they are all protected within the Reserve. But I have to say, if it comes down to me or a snake, I plan to win that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Bob View Post
                            I'm on this hunt also and will be hunting with a buddy already or I would have taken you up on your offer. I PM'd you my # in case you need a hand with anything while we are down there. Looking forward to the hunt!
                            PM received and replied.

Comment

Thanks for all the thoughts and comments. I'm on the first hunt, Feb 5-7 archery. Those of us on that one won't have the benefit of any news, info, etc. from any prior hunts...
                              Best of Luck! Those of us on the following weekend will be looking forward to your observations and advice.

Comment

Getting more excited every day, still hoping to find at least a part-time spotting/stalking buddy for the first archery hunt Feb 5-7.

Comment

Working...
                                X