Should they pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should they pay?

Should the Bicyclist pay road taxes since they use the roads we vehicle owners already pay for, we pay to inspect and register our vehicle yearly, should they?

My dad hit and killed two bikers while I was in High School. They where riding on the service road of I-30 late in the evening. One of the riders killed was an instructor that taught to never ride in the mornings or evenings. My sister and I were in the truck with my dad when the accident happened. We were driving into the evening sun and all of a sudden we heard an explosion. Next thing I know there's a body on the hood and a body about 30 yard behind the truck. I grab my sister from the back seat, shielding her from seeing any of the images I still see today. She doesn't remember much about the accident, luckily. My father, who is the greatest man I have ever known, almost didn't make it through this. He spent months, if not a year, in the sanctuary of their church praying on his knees for forgiveness; though he had done nothing wrong. Today he has accepted what happened with the help of the Lord all mighty.

Still today I struggle with this. Should they have to pay? Who am I to say but seeing all my father went through, and still does every time he sees bikers, I think they should. If they want to use the roads our motor vehicle registration and tax dollars pay for then they should pay.

This time of year always brings up these thoughts. Thinking of the families of those killed riding on public roadways. I would gladly pay a little more to subsidize a bike only lane on every roadway in America to keep myself and my father from going through what we had too.

Please watch out for the bike riders while driving.

Sorry for the "Debby downer" message but it has been on my mind this holiday season.

Yes. If they are vehicles then yes. The hog up the road every weekend and I wind up sitting behind them. If they feel they belong on the road then they should pay.

Comment

Sweet!
      I haven't seen a good bike thread in a while!

Comment

My prayers go out to your dad.

Comment

I do not think it is safe for them to be on the roads with vehicles going 5x their speed but how would them paying make things safer? There definitely isnt enough of them on the road to pay for an additional lane I wouldnt think.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
            I do not think it is safe for them to be on the roads with vehicles going 5x their speed but how would them paying make things safer? There definitely isnt enough of them on the road to pay for an additional lane I wouldnt think.

I agree, and I certainly don't want the gov taxing more things but something has to give. They shouldn't be allowed to clog roadways and ignore traffic laws, but I don't have any answers as to what the solution would be

Comment

Yes they should. Plain and simple, if they are using the road, they should pay registration just like any other vehicle.

Comment

I feel for your dad. If I see a guy riding his bike to work, I give him all the respect he deserves. If they're not going to work, stay the **** off the road.

Comment

I hear you. I live on a winding little road in parker county and they seem to love to use it. It is probably the least safe road I can think of for them to ride, but they love the hills and the turns. Scares me to death to see a big group of them taking up a lane on a road that isn't hardly wide enough for two trucks.

I live in horror that one day I am going to top a hill and see where an oilfield tank truck has taken a half dozen of them out. i wish there were just bike trails they could use not to be selfish, but because I see a bloody ending for some of them, and shattered lives for the survivors.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
                    I feel for your dad. If I see a guy riding his bike to work, I give him all the respect he deserves. If they're not going to work, stay the **** off the road.
                    I've thought this very thing a time or two. When does making a public road your playground make alot of sense? Never. How is it even legal to turn a public road into your hobby??

Comment

No. They don't damage the roads.

Comment

I am a bike rider and I try to stay off the roads because of drivers that are preoccupied
                        texting. The motorcyclists still have a problem with drivers that "don't see them". Cycling would definitely help the obesity problem we have in the United States. I did a presentation on cycling and the obesity problem here in the states and wish I could upload the information for all of you. http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/...k-infographic/ http://www.iaso.org/iotf/obesity/?map=adults
                        There are many of us that should get from behind the wheel and walk or cycle more. I guess people that walk along the roadway should be taxed also. There are many people that own bikes that also own a vehicle for transportation so they should be taxed twice. I mean that bike really puts a lot of wear and tear on those roads. Really?

Comment

No.

What would the state inspect, their tires? Handle bars? Gears?

Are any of those causing damages to cars because of being in poor condition?

Vehicle inspections are to make the road safer because cars going up to 85 mph legally in some places potentially pose a huge risk to other people with defective tires, brakes, lights, etc. How many times have we seen on the news people being killed in head on accidents when another car hydroplaned, usually for bad tires? How many accidents have been caused by brake lights being out?

I see none of those as issues for a bicycle that will make the motoring public safer and therefore bicycle inspections would be ridiculous. How about this, since ATV's and UTV's are generally not road legal but can legally cross public roadways, then let's have the state inspect (tax) all of our ATV, UTV, golf carts, etc., to make the roads safer.

It would make about as much sense.

Anyone ready for more government regulations that are in place merely for tax purposes? Not me.

Comment

What ****** me off about those daggum bikers is NONE of them follow the freaking traffic laws. I see them running stop signs and red lights all the time. Not to mention all those idiots that get on those curvy roads going 20mph. that's just an accident waiting to happen.

I'm highly against another tax and I don't think they should be forced to stay off the roads either. I just wish these idiots would stay off the dangerous roads and ride their freaking bikes somewhere else.

Ike
                            Last edited by BigTex.308; 12-26-2013, 02:38 PM.

Comment

As much as I can't stand people on bikes who think they are a "vehicle" and take up ANY part of vehicles lanes of traffic other than the shoulder I do NOT think they should have to be taxed or pay to use the roadway. Next thing you know they would be taxing people who run on the roads

Comment

Working...
                              X