Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooper lake state park youth hunt (semi live)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooper lake state park youth hunt (semi live)

Tomorrow my son (Brody) will be getting to hunt at Cooper Lake state park again on a youth hunt. He drew the hunt this year. We got to hunt the park last year on standby and he was successful. We enjoyed the hunt last year and we're looking forward to this years hunt. The hunt was ran very well and the staff was on point.

He's allowed two white-tailed deer; antlerless or spike buck; limit one spike buck. I'm going to try and update this thread as the hunt goes along.

We're doing orientation tomorrow at 10 a.m. Last year after orientation there was a lunch break and we all came back to the park to go hunting at a specified time. It's by assigned blinds and they will take you to and from your spot. They had been putting out hand corn at each spot for a couple of weeks last year and I assume they will this year as well.

Comment

I will be following, will he be hunting in the South Sulphur or Doctors Creek parks, or the WMA? Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
        I will be following, will he be hunting in the South Sulphur or Doctors Creek parks, or the WMA? Good luck!
        Last year everyone was in the South Sulphur unit. I'm fairly certain it's the same this year but I'll double check. The orientation this year is at the South Sulphur unit.

Pretty high success rates over the years. I'm hoping this year is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
          Last year everyone was in the South Sulphur unit. I'm fairly certain it's the same this year but I'll double check. The orientation this year is at the South Sulphur unit.

Pretty high success rates over the years. I'm hoping this year is the same.

They have a lot of resident deer in South Sulphur, they are used to people. It should be a slam dunk hunt.

Comment

All through with orientation. We get to start hunting at 2 p.m.

Comment

We didn't have reception in the stand so I couldn't update. My son got 2 deer. One doe and one spike. We just got back to the check in area. I'll have to skin the deer etc. I'll post up picture's later.

Comment

Congrats guys

Comment

Great news
                  Congratulations young man.

Comment

Comment

Attached Files
                      Last edited by BradBryant1000; 01-07-2023, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Barely got settled in the stand today and had a big doe come out. She immediately pegged us. Started blowing and left in a hurry. Never even got the gun up. Around an hour later the group of four deer came out. Brody killed one of the does. Other deer ran off with no shot opportunities. With five minutes of shooting light left the spike he killed came out. The spike was with a four point. Also dropped the spike it in it's tracks.

He's all tagged out on deer for the hunt. So we'll get to sleep in tomorrow since we're not going to hunt.

All in all a pretty good hunt. Well organized again and the staff was helpful and friendly. 10 out of 12 kiddos hunting had killed something today. 3 out of the 10 (my son included) had killed both of there deer.

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

Originally posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
                            Barely got settled in the stand today and had a big doe come out. She immediately pegged us. Started blowing and left in a hurry. Never even got the gun up. Around an hour later the group of four deer came out. Brody killed one of the does. Other deer ran off with no shot opportunities. With five minutes of shooting light left the spike he killed came out. The spike was with a four point. Also dropped the spike it in it's tracks.

He's all tagged out on deer for the hunt. So we'll get to sleep in tomorrow since we're not going to hunt.

All in all a pretty good hunt. Well organized again and the staff was helpful and friendly. 10 out of 12 kiddos hunting had killed something today. 3 out of the 10 (my son included) had killed both of there deer.
                            That's how it's done right there! Congrats to your son! And to you dad!

Comment

Working...
                            X