Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mineral Wells SP

Anybody here going this Wednesday?
    Me and my brother drew this either sex hunt.
    I’ve been there before on a management hunt some years back. Me and my brother both killed a doe. Hoping to do the same this week since I haven’t killed anything yet.

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
    Anybody here going this Wednesday?
    Me and my brother drew this either sex hunt.
    I’ve been there before on a management hunt some years back. Me and my brother both killed a doe. Hoping to do the same this week since I haven’t killed anything yet.
    Any standby offered this hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
      Any standby offered this hunt?
      There should be. Two guys in our group never paid for the permit. So I know there will be at least 2 spots open unless they picked those up on the second draw.

Comment

Unless you were second draw they should have re-drawn those 2 spots.

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
          Unless you were second draw they should have re-drawn those 2 spots.
          Yep, we were on first draw. So I’m sure those 2 spots went to the 2nd draw, just don’t know if those were paid as well.
          Anybody looking to go on standby should just call the area tomorrow and they should be able to tell them how many spots are open if any.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	864437A4-A897-4942-B71B-B4BA0AA84AA0.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	24700939

I got blind #8. They said this was the hot spot on the youth hunt this past weekend. They have been Corning the blinds for 2 months. They are even providing small 5lb bags of corn for each hunter to put out.
            I hunted this place years ago on a management hunt. They have upgraded from pallet blinds to pop up blinds. Not to bad!! I have the wind in my face which is good. We’ll see what happens!!

Comment

Hope you stack them up.
              Good chance you will see some piggies.
              Wish they’d let you shoot raccoons. Those things were awful in the campgrounds after dark, even by state park standards.
              Are you near the camp grounds or are you in the large hiking area north of the lake and campgrounds?

Comment

I believe I’m north of the lake.

Comment

Yeah, I was there with my kiddo about 6-7 years ago on a youth hunt and basically sat behind 2 plywood sheets in a V shape. Unfortunately we were facing south and a COLD front came roaring through on our first evening. It was miserable. My youngest is a trooper and LOVES to hunt but even he didn't want to leave the hotel the second morning.

Good luck. Lots of deer are shot in that park on these hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                    [ATTACH]1112744[/ATTACH]

I got blind #8. They said this was the hot spot on the youth hunt this past weekend. They have been Corning the blinds for 2 months. They are even providing small 5lb bags of corn for each hunter to put out.
                    I hunted this place years ago on a management hunt. They have upgraded from pallet blinds to pop up blinds. Not to bad!! I have the wind in my face which is good. We’ll see what happens!!
                    I hunted that exact spot (same mowed out area). about 10 years ago. It looks like the drought really hammered them, as I remember it being much more grassy.

Nice of them to put in pop ups. They just used ply wood when we were there, but put put the pop up inside the way the plywood was set up. Only used the pop ups, because if was rainy/drizzled while we hunted.

Good luck!
                    Last edited by Greenheadless; 12-14-2022, 04:00 PM.

Comment

They said drought was pretty bad. They also said the oaks didn’t produce any acorns and the deer has been hitting the corn hard. So far, I haven’t heard any shots yet. Starting to get in that prime time hour. Be nice to go ahead and tag out this evening!!

Comment

Were there standby spots? I called yesterday but didn't see a callback so I figured it was booked. It's just 17 miles from my house.

Good luck.

Comment

Good luck, will be following

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                            Were there standby spots? I called yesterday but didn't see a callback so I figured it was booked. It's just 17 miles from my house.

Good luck.
                            Yeah, think there were 4 or 5 spots open.
                            I did over hear one say that they got a lot of calls this week.

Comment

2 shots heard so far. None by me yet!!

Comment

Working...
                              X